The New Raith Rovers Thread

The 3000ish people who don't turn up all season but did today are what annoyed me most about the game. I get people have other things in their life's but surely even half of them could come support the team on a more regular basis?
I've got a season ticket and take my boy to almost all away matches too, so I say this as someone who is there week in week out ...

Why should they come every week?

The standard is poor, the prices aren't particularly good, and the community programme the club rolls out is token effort at best.

We can't just expect people to come to the club.

The club needs to be doing far more to attract and retain new fans.

Not everyone is born into supporting the club.

Some need enticed but I see little or no evidence that this happens.

I'd love to see bigger crowds but I think the club need to look at how they make it appealing and affordable.

I'll keep coming along (as will others) regardless of how shite the football is but accept that not everyone will and don't have any ill feelings towards people who pick and choose their games.

Just now, Deadly said:

I've got a season ticket and take my boy to almost all away matches too, so I say this as someone who is there week in week out ...

The standard is poor, the prices aren't particularly good, and the community programme the club rolls out is token effort at best.

I'd love to see bigger crowds but I think the club need to look at how they make it appealing and affordable.

I'll keep coming along (as will others) regardless of how shite the football is but accept that not everyone will and don't have any ill feelings towards people who pick and choose their games.

This. If you aren't a die hard fan why would you want to drop £15 plus travelling expenses on that?

10 minutes ago, nade not tade said:

It’s sad but I’m actually taking solace from the fact about 3,000 day trippers didn’t get the result they wanted.

That's probably the most pathetic, bitter and tragic post I've ever read on this forum. Congratulations.

The 3000ish people who don't turn up all season but did today are what annoyed me most about the game. I get people have other things in their life's but surely even half of them could come support the team on a more regular basis?

The opportunity was there to win back lapsed fans or convince a few neutrals to swing the Rovers way but the team and the club just didn’t take it. They both made an arse of it.

No sense of organisation outside the South Stand either. Lots of parents and kids sent back down to the office to buy a ticket having waited in the long queues to the turnstiles. Then fans herded round the ground.

The club spent all week calling on the fans to come out and some how still managed to get caught out by the crowd.

29 minutes ago, grumswall said:

Thing is, if the extra 3000 hadn't turned up, we'd be bemoaning the fact that we couldn't attract a decent crowd for a potential title win.

I personally have no issue with the extra fans who turned up. Just wish the players had turned up too.

29 minutes ago, grumswall said:

Today just shows those 3000 were correct in  spending their money being entertained elsewhere every other Saturday.  

People are more than entitled to pick and chose their games based on what you say. 3000 people who are glory hunters haven't been at starks this season though. That's the problem. We didn't see those crowds a couple of years ago when we were playing good football and doing well week in week out either.

The club does next to nothing to actually get new fans but from board down it has been a shambles the past couple of seasons.

I haven't bought a program in years, it's an obsolete thing in my opinion.

The standard is poor but the prices are fair enough for the level we should be playing at.

Had we won and entertained today then this along with seeing them pick up the trophy might have enticed some of the ‘3,000’ along more regularly. It’s a shame that more don’t attend but as mentioned, not everyone has football in their blood so to speak and value for money? Watching us is not!

Certainly not a bad thing that people turned up today, at the very least it will boost any short term cash flow issues

Had we won and entertained today then this along with seeing them pick up the trophy might have enticed some of the ‘3,000’ along more regularly. It’s a shame that more don’t attend but as mentioned, not everyone has football in their blood so to speak and value for money? Watching us is not!
Certainly not a bad thing that people turned up today, at the very least it will boost any short term cash flow issues

I'm not saying it is value for money. Looking at the prices around about us though its a fair price. Our normal gate has been around 1500 this season give or take 100. So just under 3000 fans there today who don't normally attend games. I'm not saying I would expect even half of them there regularly but surely we could get a decent amount? Otherwise why turn up and pretend you support the team? It's like the of fans who are complete diehards but haven't been to see the teams play.

That’s what I mean, £15 IS a fair price in terms of football matches but football in general is overpriced so unless people have RRFC in their heart (or as a habit) then you can understand them spending their money and/or time elsewhere. Just the way things are, every side in the country have sleeping fans that come out the woodwork for the big games. It’s our clubs job to get as many of them to attend as often as possible, not done great with that lately!

Just think we get this same feeling of despair next Saturday as well 

I’m interested to see how we deal with Alloa 3 games running. The games with them have been poor to watch. It’s basically two limited teams of equal strength huffing and puffing for a win which never comes. Will be interesting but unattractive.

Today was a frustrating day as mentioned above, particularly as it highlights the willingness for the local population to turn up only when there's something at stake. It's exceptionally frustrating to see clubs like Dunfermline, Falkirk and St Mirren go about their business and pull in crowds often three times our own, while we're left with a core of 1,600. The prices don't seem to be an issue for those clubs. Even then, the problem is that when we played our best football in a decade under McKinnon, folk still didn't show up. The crowds maybe peaked about 1,800 home fans or so. 

Leaving the game a lot of people were talking about how the team "shat it" and  how it was the first game they've been to in years. As I mentioned on the match thread, the club need to really look at the playing style and realise our fans have seen more eye bleedingly bad long ball football than most teams. It's effective for grinding out results (see our home form as an example), but it's tedious to watch and it doesn't do anyone any favours. 

Edited by Oor Willis

8 minutes ago, Oor Willis said:

Today was a frustrating day as mentioned above, particularly as it highlights the willingness for the local population to turn up only when there's something at stake. It's exceptionally frustrating to see clubs like Dunfermline, Falkirk and St Mirren go about their business and pull in crowds often three times our own, while we're left with a core of 1,600. The prices don't seem to be an issue for those clubs. Even then, the problem is that when we played our best football in a decade under McKinnon, folk still didn't show up. The crowds maybe peaked about 1,800 home fans or so. 

Leaving the game a lot of people were talking about how the team "shat it" and  how it was the first game they've been to in years. As I mentioned on the match thread, the club need to really look at the playing style and realise our fans have seen more eye bleedingly bad long ball football than most teams. It's effective for grinding out results (see our home form as an example), but it's tedious to watch and it doesn't do anyone any favours. 

What you've described could easily have happened to us, Falkirk or St Mirren did we have your recent history.

Genuinely, your crowd today was brilliant and well played to all who turned out, even the big occasion folk. We all have them.

However, I have been laughing quite a bit at your bottling today.