The New Raith Rovers Thread

It'd be utterly depressing to see him at either of the Dundee clubs. I'd hope he'd give it a crack down south rather than settling for a club up here. He's in the fortunate position that he won't be short of offers. Any doubts over a loss of form on the back of injury have been put to the side. 

The sooner this transfer window shuts the better. Vaughan is our most important player bar none. I don't think the board are realistically in a position to turn down 100k though, that's big, big money for us.

It's a gamble as keeping Vaughan doesn't guarantee promotion at all, but it's pretty clear with his scoring form that we're in a far stronger position with him than without him.

If I were the board I'd look into exactly how much extra revenue playing in the Championship next season generates compared to playing in League 1. I can only find 15/16 figures online but 8th in the Chanpionship earned 80k more than 2nd in L1 (safety v possible non-promotion). Chuck in the away supports, increased exposure, more interest in hospitality, etc and the fag packet calculations suggest promotion is worth much more than 100k. I say gamble.

The harsh reality is that if it is 100k (doubt it is) then that's an obscene amount of money for a player who has never had an extended run of form in his career yet.

Probably could be the difference between us going up or not. But as a club we can't realistically expect to get much more than that for one if our products from the youth department.

Sim might want the money, hell, we might need the money but lets not pretend this isn't going to completely sabotage the football side of the club.

Lets also get away from the idea this is 100k, we don't know and it's probably a lot less.

Vaughan is the fulcrum of this team. Without him we'd be lucky to be on one point after two games. He very much will be the difference between making a promotion play off spot, or not. Sell him and admit we have no ambitions towards higher revenues in the championship, and cut our cloth accordingly towards part time football in league 1 for the foreseeable.

In the past we've heard offhand quotes such as "Any reasonable/sensible offer would have to be considered."

I was speaking to a director over the weekend and he admitted his big worry was that Vaughan will continue to bang them in and we could see offers and potentially even lose him before August's end.  But having said that he admitted it would have to be a "huge amount" of money. The smarter question being define a "huge" amount, I didn't ask.

In all seriousness we have to put the highest price we can on Vaughan. Hopefully it'll scare any potential suitor away. Promotion is key for us and Lewis is far and away the best player we have. We are a selling club, but losing him to Shylock teams like DFC and DUFC isn't that great a step up imo.

The harsh reality is that if it is 100k (doubt it is) then that's an obscene amount of money for a player who has never had an extended run of form in his career yet.
Probably could be the difference between us going up or not. But as a club we can't realistically expect to get much more than that for one if our products from the youth department.

On the face of it 100 grand is a lot of money, but if you consider East Fife got 60 grand for Nathan Austin who had never kicked a ball above the third tier and the **** got 800 grand for Lewis Macleod who'd barely kicked a ball anywhere, then it puts it into perspective. The other factor to consider is it's unlikely to be 100 grand straight into our coffers to help ease cash flow difficulties etc. It probably includes a fee to the player, fees to agents and staged payments of the balance over a two or three year period, depending on length of contract given.

1 hour ago, renton said:

Sim might want the money, hell, we might need the money but lets not pretend this isn't going to completely sabotage the football side of the club.

Lets also get away from the idea this is 100k, we don't know and it's probably a lot less.

Vaughan is the fulcrum of this team. Without him we'd be lucky to be on one point after two games. He very much will be the difference between making a promotion play off spot, or not. Sell him and admit we have no ambitions towards higher revenues in the championship, and cut our cloth accordingly towards part time football in league 1 for the foreseeable.

Cannae stand in the boy's way though, eh?

I think it's safe to assume Vaughan won't be with is next season no matter what happens. However, even if we were somehow offered £100k (lol, frankly), I'd rather we turned it down and lost him on a PCA with a small development fee in January. 

As several people have said, promotion is worth more than £100k to us. Vaughan himself won't get us promoted, but let's turn down the quick buck and give ourselves the best chance possible of going straight back up. 

It'll be really stupid selling a player that could potentially be pivotal for promotion. We have a tiny squad as it is, and it doesn't look like we'll be adding to the squad any time soon. The mind boggles

Worst case scenario can we not ask for a Nathan Austin/Simon Murray type of deal, i.e., one where the player is signed on a delayed transfer and is allowed to stay at the club until the end of the season? Admittedly though it'd be kinda unheard of to see it happen this early in a season.....and then there's Vaughan recent history with his knee that might be seen as an issue to letting him stay here.

I vote we sell him to the Dabs for £100k with the proviso that we can retain him until June 2018, then when we are promoted by him having scored 40 gls this season, some cash rich English outfit offer £500,000 which we take that and give Utd their £100k back and say "GRFUY Raymondo!"

Just now, baillieinleeds said:

It'll be really stupid selling a player that could potentially be pivotal for promotion. We have a tiny squad as it is, and it doesn't look like we'll be adding to the squad any time soon. The mind boggles

Aye, but we can sell him for £40k and sign a couple of absolute fucking jobbers who haven't kicked a ball for months! 

Two players instead, man!!!!

14 minutes ago, Michael W said:

Cannae stand in the boy's way though, eh?

I think it's safe to assume Vaughan won't be with is next season no matter what happens. However, even if we were somehow offered £100k (lol, frankly), I'd rather we turned it down and lost him on a PCA with a small development fee in January. 

As several people have said, promotion is worth more than £100k to us. Vaughan himself won't get us promoted, but let's turn down the quick buck and give ourselves the best chance possible of going straight back up. 

I agree, although at times in the last few weeks he's looked a bit of a one man team. Let's say we sell him, at best we get 20k up front and Barry Smith get's enough money in his budget to sign that 18 year old bandy legged shitehawk of a left winger with no end product on loan he's always wanted. There is no outcome that doesn't leave us utterly fucked.