The New Raith Rovers Thread

Penman now retired doesn't have to spend his time abroad to avoid tax. This could be his retirement toy.

Is that a good or bad thing though? I'm young enough I didnt really understand what happened when he was involved in the past.

15 minutes ago, Raith_Rasta said:

Me three, what was the reason Penman's time turned into a shit storm?

Basically fans blamed Penman for Jimmy Nichol leaving/ fall out and  Mr Penman knocking lumps out of a Sun photographer and ending on the front page.

To be fair Rovers wouldn't have been as successful if Penman hadn't bought a majority shareholding and struck gold by appointing Jimmy Nichols as manager who only improved on all the good work Frank Connor had started previously

5 hours ago, basher brash said:

Basically fans blamed Penman for Jimmy Nichol leaving/ fall out and  Mr Penman knocking lumps out of a Sun photographer and ending on the front page.

To be fair Rovers wouldn't have been as successful if Penman hadn't bought a majority shareholding and struck gold by appointing Jimmy Nichols as manager who only improved on all the good work Frank Connor had started previously

Johnny Urquhart appointed Nicholl.

Penman came in during the 93/4 season, we were already in the top league and full time, but haemorrhaging money.

What an operation we are. Not even offering hospitality is absolutely ridiculous.

Any sort of change of ownership or boardroom shake up carries an element of risk but considering how poorly we seem to be running things just now it's a risk I'd be willing to take.

Maybe hospitality makes less money than a pub.

I was reliably informed that in all the years that hospitality has been contracted out it has failed to generate significant income to the club. It has generated some income and it came with some benefits (loans/special deals or favours, etc) but hard cash? Not so much!

After  a few seasons in the Championship where they've badly struggled to sell hospitality the BoD took the decision to scrap it altogether in a lower league where they thought (probably rightly) they'd probably struggle even more.

I believe there were other proposals put to them and that's not to say this is how it'll stay, but it'll be that way for at least this season. At the very least it's now an open house for fans to go and have a refreshment in the ground only yards from your seat and best of all the club makes revenue from it.... unless that is you prefer to go to the Novar, Penny, Dutchess, Styx, Spoons, Exchequer, O'Connals, Harbour Bar etc and give money to the local businessmen who have no real interest in RRFC other than getting hold their fans cash. 

I know it's a busy time and there's a lot going on but personally you'd have thought that someone (there's a few after all) on the board could have been delegated as a spokesman to update and inform the fans of such developments, especially given that now the fixtures are out they are now apparently receiving enquires about booking said Hospitality.

You watch we will draw someone big (hopefully) in a cup game this season and good ol' Hospitality will rise from the dead for a miraculous 1 off appearance.

Before anyone suggest it, just going down the doing our own hospitality route isn't currently an option. The main reason the hospitality was contracted out in the 1st place was that the kitchen facilities at SP are so knackered and antiquated that in order for them to be brought back into service it will require about £10k of improvements.

2 minutes ago, Scottydog said:

I was reliably informed that in all the years that hospitality has been contracted out it has failed to generate significant income to the club. It has generated some income and it came with some benefits (loans/special deals or favours, etc) but hard cash? Not so much!

The figure I heard was that we paid O'Connell £25 per head for the hospitality as it was his staff, catering etc that run it, BUT, he hadn't actually taken the money for several years. Not sure if this is still the case but add in your £15 entrance fee then the club aren't making a huge whack as I don't think they get the bar takings

Surely if the hospitality isn't making money it's up to the board to negotiate a deal or come up with a way it does make money rather than dropping it altogether?

Plenty of clubs smaller than us can run a successful, profitable hospitality package

29 minutes ago, R.R.FC said:

Surely if the hospitality isn't making money it's up to the board to negotiate a deal or come up with a way it does make money rather than dropping it altogether?

Plenty of clubs smaller than us can run a successful, profitable hospitality package

I've been told in the past that Mario and Dennis had put money into the club years ago as a soft loan and instead of getting it back, they get all the money from the catering/hospitality. Obviously if there's a buyout, you'd think these deals would be knocked on the head and the club could do their own thing as suggested above.

After  a few seasons in the Championship where they've badly struggled to sell hospitality the BoD took the decision to scrap it altogether in a lower league where they thought (probably rightly) they'd probably struggle even more.
I believe there were other proposals put to them and that's not to say this is how it'll stay, but it'll be that way for at least this season. At the very least it's now an open house for fans to go and have a refreshment in the ground only yards from your seat and best of all the club makes revenue from it.... unless that is you prefer to go to the Novar, Penny, Dutchess, Styx, Spoons, Exchequer, O'Connals, Harbour Bar etc and give money to the local businessmen who have no real interest in RRFC other than getting hold their fans cash. 
I know it's a busy time and there's a lot going on but personally you'd have thought that someone (there's a few after all) on the board could have been delegated as a spokesman to update and inform the fans of such developments, especially given that now the fixtures are out they are now apparently receiving enquires about booking said Hospitality.
You watch we will draw someone big (hopefully) in a cup game this season and good ol' Hospitality will rise from the dead for a miraculous 1 off appearance.
Before anyone suggest it, just going down the doing our own hospitality route isn't currently an option. The main reason the hospitality was contracted out in the 1st place was that the kitchen facilities at SP are so knackered and antiquated that in order for them to be brought back into service it will require about £10k of improvements.

I have a season ticket in the south stand. So does that mean I wouldn't get to go to the bar because it's in the main stand? Or would I be able to go to the bar before the game then leave and handover my season ticket to get into the south stand?

4 minutes ago, rrfcgav said:

I have a season ticket in the south stand. So does that mean I wouldn't get to go to the bar because it's in the main stand? Or would I be able to go to the bar before the game then leave and handover my season ticket to get into the south stand?

Bar open to all, however mutton pies cut in half are for #Roaringback members only

Bar open to all, however mutton pies cut in half are for #Roaringback members only

That's good then. We normally go to the exchequer before the game but would like to give the club bar a go now that it's available to everyone.

Tbf there's no good reason that there's not a club bar for everyone, surely get plenty more punters through the door than the select few in whatever club it is that runs it and in turn brings cash into the club that would otherwise be in the pockets of the exchequer/ Novar/ Styx etc.