The New Raith Rovers Thread

Not sour grapes in the slightest but if i were a Rovers fanboy I would have been hoping to bring in someone with a bit more clout to their CV.

Personally, I think you'll struggle under Smith and the 1st Division wont be as easy to walk as you might think? Bigger budget? Undoubtedly but I wouldn't have thought you'd have money to burn under the current circumstances with a drop down a league and dwindling crowds.

I'd like to have seen Smith staying because I felt he was on to something at East Fife and not because he appeared to be a brilliant manager which he clearly isn't.

That said, I don't blame him for making the move. It's full time football after all and the man needs to earn a crust.

What I do dislike is the fact the ink is barely dry on a 2 year deal at Bayview assisted by the fact he's jumped ship to join our local (and in my eyes, biggest) rival.

f**k the little c**t and I sincerely hope he fails miserably.

Not sour grapes in the slightest but if i were a Rovers fanboy I would have been hoping to bring in someone with a bit more clout to their CV.
Personally, I think you'll struggle under Smith and the 1st Division wont be as easy to walk as you might think? Bigger budget? Undoubtedly but I wouldn't have thought you'd have money to burn under the current circumstances with a drop down a league and dwindling crowds.
I'd like to have seen Smith staying because I felt he was on to something at East Fife and not because he appeared to be a brilliant manager which he clearly isn't.
That said, I don't blame him for making the move. It's full time football after all and the man needs to earn a crust.
What I do dislike is the fact the ink is barely dry on a 2 year deal at Bayview assisted by the fact he's jumped ship to join our local (and in my eyes, biggest) rival.

That screams sour grapes tbf.

Guess he'll be speaking to the out of contract players over the coming days. One player I'm really worried about is Davidson. He epitomises everything that was rotten about us last year; his legs are gone, he can't pass a ball and his attitude absolutely stinks both with the fans and the officials. It seemed that nearly every game he started last season we lost. And yet, because Smith and Davidson were together at Dundee Smith might see him as a decent player at this level.

Not offering Davidson a new contract will tell us an awful lot about our new manager. I just hope that no contract is forthcoming and that Iain Davidson just fades away.

5 minutes ago, Beachbum said:

Guess he'll be speaking to the out of contract players over the coming days. One player I'm really worried about is Davidson. He epitomises everything that was rotten about us last year; his legs are gone, he can't pass a ball and his attitude absolutely stinks both with the fans and the officials. It seemed that nearly every game he started last season we lost. And yet, because Smith and Davidson were together at Dundee Smith might see him as a decent player at this level.

Not offering Davidson a new contract will tell us an awful lot about our new manager. I just hope that no contract is forthcoming and that Iain Davidson just fades away.

I hope this helps you a wee bit.

06/05/2017 IAIN DAVIDSON (RAITH ROVERS F.C.) 2 SPFL FIRST TEAM MATCHES FROM 20/05/2017

19 minutes ago, Stevo Fife said:

I've touched on it a few times, but I feel like we've got a few good players already signed up, who were horribly mismanaged last season. Cuthbert had injury issues which couldn't be accounted for, Bene was playing across the back four in different positions, Callachan wasn't performing as he can, Stewart never really good first team time and had niggling injuries, and then we had the mother of all footballing f**k ups with loaning Vaughan out in January. 

We'll basically need a back up keeper, left back, a right back (depending on Thomson), a couple of midfielders and winger, along with another forward (maybe Court if he re-signs as he looked like he showed decent potential against Hibs and Ayr). Supplement that team with players like Thorsen, Stevenson and other youths as we try to get them some experience so long as they're good enough. 

I'd take Spence back at the club, which is hugely hypocritical of me given how I've slated him in the past for being the cliche'd Nando's footballer. Not sure he'd come back, but you can't argue against his returns at this level. 

Remember when J Thomson was out and Davidson was filling in? He was better than Thomson had been. I think he acquitted himself well at RB but will happily concede he has no place in midfield any more. I'm not saying he's a choice defender either, and I'm not sure we can afford to have a backfill player hanging around, but he doesn't warrant the constant abuse he gets on here from some.

I'd be disappointed if he was still with us. I'd like to think that "the old pals act" won't apply when Smith has such a small margin for errors.

If only he supported Hibs then maybe Bambino could let us know what his plans are, where he's going on holiday, what he likes for breakfast and what his dick tastes like.

If we can just play fullbacks at fullback, I'll be happy. Benedictus and Davidson both defended perfectly well filling in last season, but offered us nothing going forward.

The number of times we lined up with central players in wide positions was criminal, and I'd cite it as probably the biggest individual (tactical) issue of last season.

Is Greig Spence high on Barry Smith list of players 

Nobody knows who's on his list of players that he's going to approach. I would imagine he'll be one of them though with him being available.

Like others have said though, whether he'd be willing to come back is another thing altogether.

Not sure if he's still going to hold his grudge or not.

1 minute ago, Rovers1992/1993 said:

Nobody knows who's on his list of players that he's going to approach. I would imagine he'll be one of them though with him being available.

Like others have said though, whether he'd be willing to come back is another thing altogether.

Not sure if he's still going to hold his grudge or not.

Grudges don't pay the mortgage 

Where's the horse?

We'll basically need a back up keeper, left back, a right back (depending on Thomson), a couple of midfielders and winger, along with another forward (maybe Court if he re-signs as he looked like he showed decent potential against Hibs and Ayr).

Going by that, 7 new players needed in. We'll also need 2/3 CB's as well so 9/10 players in total. We only have Bene signed at the minute. Ben Gordon would fill that bill nicely if he's been released by St Mirren. Always rated him whilst at Alloa and I reckon he'd be solid in this league.