The New Raith Rovers Thread

21 minutes ago, The Moonster said:

I wondered that but now I'm wondering...

...how?

It is theoretically possible to get a very small compensation if someone moves cross border for a transfer fee (not on freedom of contract) if you had them on loan for a period of time. Most clubs ensure as part of any loan agreement though that the borrowing club signs away its rights to any such compensation.

It's absolute buttons in percentage terms depending on the player's age and length of time he was there though. It might be 0.5% or less of a fee. Still I suppose if the fee is £1m that's still £5k. Wiki says Goodwillie was £2m and Russell about £750k. Goodwillie had a 2 month loan when he was 18 and Russell about 9 months there when he was 19. Can't imagine Raith actually got anything massively significant from either player.

Jamie Walker was with Raith for about 6 months when he was 18. If he goes to England for a significant fee and Hearts didn't contract them out of it at the time, then potentially there could be a small amount of cash in it for them I think. I don't think the training compensation applies if he moves domestically but I may be wrong. It's not an area I've looked into in massive detail.

Edited by Skyline Drifter

6 minutes ago, Skyline Drifter said:

It is theoretically possible to get a very small compensation if someone moves cross border for a transfer fee (not on freedom of contract) if you had them on loan for a period of time. Most clubs ensure as part of any loan agreement though that the borrowing club signs away its rights to any such compensation.

It's absolute buttons in percentage terms depending on the player's age and length of time he was there though. It might be 0.5% or less of a fee. Still I suppose if the fee is £1m that's still £5k. Wiki says Goodwillie was £2m and Russell about £750k. Goodwillie had a 2 month loan when he was 18 and Russell about 9 months there when he was 19. Can't imagine Raith actually got anything massively significant from either player.

Jamie Walker was with Raith for about 6 months when he was 18. If he goes to England for a significant fee and Hearts didn't contract them out of it at the time, then potentially there could be a small amount of cash in it for them I think. I don't think the training compensation applies if he moves domestically but I may be wrong. It's not an area I've looked into in massive detail.

I found that last sentence quite amusing when you gave us quite a bit of detail around the possible scenarios!

6 minutes ago, bobbykdy said:

Happy with this, hopefully if he is a decent sort as he seems he can persuade a few of our under contract players not to hand in transfer requests. Onwards and upwards.

Would agree, if we can keep the 7 signed up players, we'll have a very good base for League 1. I'd imagine Benedictus should definitely stay now, Smith worked with him at Alloa and Dundee.

Looks like he always worked with Stewart at Dundee and he would of had Davo there too, though I don't think Davidson is under contract.

I ended up saying 'Give Locke a chance' then I said 'Hughes is a banging appointment' so this time round I'm keeping my moy shut,Teehee

Both statements were correct.

Every manager deserves a chance so Locke did get it and he even got his name chanted at the end of the first Fife Derby at Starks, during the First game at Tannadice, and weirdly during the cup game at Tynecastle, 2 weeks before he was sacked :lol:

Hughes was the best appointment at the time by a long shot and there isn't a single Rovers fan that said differently at the time. He was everyone's choice and the board deserved a bit of credit at the time for getting that one spot on despite the way it all worked out.

Barry smith, IMO, is probably one of the best managers to get us up from this league that we can realistically afford or that will drop to League 1. If and when we do end up getting back, I wouldn't be as confident of him doing well with us up there but I couldn't give a f**k about that. We should only be looking at 1 thing at the minute and that is bouncing right back up from this league as that is absolutely necessary. If he does that then he'll have been a success here.

2 hours ago, Jimmy85 said:

Bambino - friend of the stars. 

Not really.  Have a wee search for where him and Lewis are from and what team they support, it's not hard to work out. 

2 hours ago, Enigma said:

If he's willing to go full time I'd probably take him back. By all accounts the part time/full time hybrid squad had quite a few pitfalls and I wouldn't like to see us go had to that.

He doesn't want to go back full time. 

6 minutes ago, Rovers1992/1993 said:

Both statements were correct.

Every manager deserves a chance so Locke did get it and he even got his name chanted at the end of the first Fife Derby at Starks, during the First game at Tannadice, and weirdly during the cup game at Tynecastle, 2 weeks before he was sacked :lol:

Hughes was the best appointment at the time by a long shot and there isn't a single Rovers fan that said differently at the time. He was everyone's choice and the board deserved a bit of credit at the time for getting that one spot on despite the way it all worked out.

Barry smith, IMO, is probably one of the best managers to get us up from this league that we can realistically afford or that will drop to League 1. If and when we do end up getting back, I wouldn't be as confident of him doing well with us up there but I couldn't give a f**k about that. We should only be looking at 1 thing at the minute and that is bouncing right back up from this league as that is absolutely necessary. If he does that then he'll have been a success here.

It was pretty obvious that Hughes was only interested in the Raith job to get his name back in the papers again. He was shit scared that people would have forgotten all about him as he'd been struggling to get another job for a while. I think he felt it was a no lose situation for him but thats backfired somewhat by Raiths performances being so bad, the keeper debacle and the fact that its now common knowledge that the players couldn't stand him.

It was pretty obvious that Hughes was only interested in the Raith job to get his name back in the papers again. He was shit scared that people would have forgotten all about him as he'd been struggling to get another job for a while. I think he felt it was a no lose situation for him but thats backfired somewhat by Raiths performances being so bad, the keeper debacle and the fact that its now common knowledge that the players couldn't stand him.

That is all very true. No Rovers fan can criticise that appointment though as every Rovers thought he'd be the man for the job and if he cared a little if we stayed up or not then we probably would have. From the minute he came in though, it was pretty clear, that he couldn't give a f**k about us despite his comments about us a few year back.

Capture.JPG.fbdc25f6a209763992e95bed56071bc7.JPG

We can't even appoint a new manager without making a c**t of it. The speil on the website is lifted directly from his wiki page, including the bit about leaving Aldershot because of shite results. Not quite the spin you'd think the club would be going for:

http://www.raithrovers.net/30060/barry-smith-is-our-new-manager.htm#

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Barry_Smith_(footballer,_born_1974)

:lol:

Edited by renton

He left Aldershot due to his wife's father dying and him starting to lose touch with his family. He managed a game on the day of his father in law's funeral back in Scotland and was travelling down South and back pretty much every other day.

The fans didn't like him from what I could tell but he was offered a new deal which he ultimately decided to turn down to come back home.

He was then Dundee's local journo before he got the East Fife gig.

16 minutes ago, renton said:

Capture.JPG.fbdc25f6a209763992e95bed56071bc7.JPG

We can't even appoint a new manager without making a c**t of it. The speil on the website is lifted directly from his wiki page, including the bit about leaving Aldershot because of shite results. Not quite the spin you'd think the club would be going for:

http://www.raithrovers.net/30060/barry-smith-is-our-new-manager.htm#

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Barry_Smith_(footballer,_born_1974)

:lol:

Eric Drysdales still there then?:lol: