The New Raith Rovers Thread

2 minutes ago, grumswall said:

Both of them are effective players at that level I'd have taken them. If we're talking league 1 players mcmanus is the epitome of a league 1 player. Such a frustrating player though.

Again he's another who has his sights set higher, but the evidence so far is that he can run riot at League one level - as he did for us, but he's not proven at a higher level

Beyond getting a new manager in, we've got to replace anywhere between half and two thirds of the squad. Ayr bringing in guys in May is hardly indicative of an open market on these boys, McCall will have spoken to them weeks ago. We've got a summer long rebuild to do, one way or the other, and no guarantee that we'll be bothering the top 4 in any case. So in that respect all I can do is shrug my shoulders.

The play-offs are a disaster for us anyone. Win or bust for the Rovers.

Can understand the lack of enthusiasm for Bollan. I wonder how the paper can report he's the 'front runner' ? Who the feck could be trailing behind him ? (Dick Campbell seems to be a non runner ) I think i'd be happier to see Danny Lennon as one of the favourites - but he'd be reluctant to apply if he's already been passed over (twice ?  As I've mentioned in a previous post -managers are a bit of a lottery...maybe Bollan would do just fine for you.
On the subject of players who'd do a job in league one... I was thinking that Lawrence Shankland would probably do very well. He obviously has higher aspirations but he's already failed to impress at St Mirren and Morton. I think there's a very good L1 player in there and if he can motivate himself - who knows  ? He could yet end up at Dumbarton or another championship side and would no doubt come back to haunt us

Have heard Barry Fergusons name being mentioned.

A worst 3 midfielders in the championship list can't be taken seriously without Ian Davidson and Jordan Thomson filling the top 2 positions

To be fair, Iain Davidson isn't a midfielder. He's a CB being played at CM.

As for Jordan Thompson, I wasn't even classing him as a footballer let alone trying to give him a position.. but I'll give you that, he was the worst.

Geggan though, when he was being played at CM last season, Dunfermline couldn't escape 9th, it came as no surprise that when they decided to put a half decent CM in his place, they started to resemble a football team and climb the table.

I'd be happy to stick my neck out and say Matthews callachan and Vaughan are easily 3 of the best midfielders in that league. That's before we even get onto the subject of Bobby Barr.

You could say that.

But you'd be wrong.

To be fair, Iain Davidson isn't a midfielder. He's a CB being played at CM.

As for Jordan Thompson, I wasn't even classing him as a footballer let alone trying to give him a position.. but I'll give you that, he was the worst.

Geggan though, when he was being played at CM last season, Dunfermline couldn't escape 9th, it came as no surprise that when they decided to put a half decent CM in his place, they started to resemble a football team and climb the table.

Dunno why you're discussing Geggan's ability in the Championship when it's completely irrelevant. We're in League One. A league that he absolutely strolled through last time he was in it.

As did Docherty with us and Paul Cairney when he was with Stranraer.

On reading about how Bolan left airdrie near the promotion places to join forfar in the bottom of the same league concerns me. Airdrie are promoting youth and have had a bit if success. Was this the reason for Bolan to leave???? Having to promote youths.

1 minute ago, foreverarover said:

On reading about how Bolan left airdrie near the promotion places to join forfar in the bottom of the same league concerns me. Airdrie are promoting youth and have had a bit if success. Was this the reason for Bolan to leave???? Having to promote youths.

Bolan crashed into a tree mate.

I am in the " Better the Devil you know" camp regarding Bollan.
lf you are looking for a dynamic, animated, charismatic Manager in the dugout it ain't him. If, however, you are looking for a dour  character from the Jim McLean school of charm, then he is your man.
He would probably get you up at first time of asking and probably keep you up but it's not great to watch.
All I'm looking for is a quick decision! 

The Jim McLean school of charm. Ala Hughes. You mean a person left behind by the Times and no communication skills.

3 minutes ago, foreverarover said:

I think Bollan left because the new owner wanted to bring in his own managers etc , and GB jumped before being pushed. In his time here he rarely went down the "youth promotion" road and our experiment with it this season (and much of last) was hardly inspiring.

Bolan crashed into a tree mate.

I think Bollan left because the new owner wanted to bring in his own managers etc , and GB jumped before being pushed. In his time here he rarely went down the "youth promotion" road and our experiment with it this season (and much of last) was hardly inspiring.

If Airdrie can sell on Ryan then that's more than Raith have done for years in way of youths. We have some coming through now but we need the rich try type of manager. That's my concerns re Bollan