The New Raith Rovers Thread

FunnyHorse6.jpg.8965a5ffdd2e9c4562413128b1d7a6ce.jpg

52 minutes ago, Scottydog said:

Oh dear I only mentioned the cup as you haven't had a league fixture with Kilmarnock in the last generations lifetime or more. If you'd like to check though then you'd find that the last league ties at Starks between us and East Fife they managed to bring a four figure travelling support in both games. Put simply this game is like a cup tie to them, it's a big deal if you're a Fife Fan.

Anyway whom so ever gets the biggest gates in this league will hugely depend on who is playing well and not a lot else. Also why the f**k am I defending East Fifes travelling support? I really couldn't give a f**k, if it's a crowd w**k your after try the "walking down the Halbeath Rd" thread, there always up for some of that.

What made it interesting that last time both The Fife & Rovers were in the same league was Wullie Gray. Remember him?

And your right. Last game at Starks I reckon we had 1200+ easy.

And for the record we fucking hate Ayr nearly as much as Clyde.:thumsup2

Hands up, my maths was slightly off there. But my point remains that paying £600 per week freed up by releasing a distinctly average player will likely help provide wages that will be better spent at League 1 level.

We should be looking to pick up the best of the part time players to complement the full timers. I feel this is the best option along with the youngsters.

£7.50 an hour for a forty hour week is £300

Good luck if you can find a professional footballer working a 40 hour week. They probably mostly work a third of that at most.

That would be over the course of a yearly salary as well. Pretty sure players are contracted and mostly paid through the time scale of their contracts so it all really depends on the time scale the contract is set to. But I'll take the point and still suggest that even if we did drop 25% on the wages, which is what's been rumoured, then we could still manage to attract a number of good League 1 players to the club. Not to mention our ambition, facilities and hopefully manager.

We should be looking to pick up the best of the part time players to complement the full timers. I feel this is the best option along with the youngsters.

Have to disagree on that point. Managers want full time or completely part time. No point in having players that can't train at the same time as the full time players. The guys on FT contracts will be training in the morning or throughout the day, they're not going to come along on Tuesday and Thursday nights to train with the PT guys. This was the big factor with McGurn when we eventually had to call it a day for him at the club.

16 minutes ago, foreverarover said:

£300 at 39hrs per week is £7.69 per hour. Oh sorry Skyliner is 19p ph more than an over 25 is entitled to. You do the maths.....

I can do the maths fine. There isnt a professional footballer in the country working anywhere near a 39 hour week. Most of them do less than 15 hours. Minimum wage for a footballer is nowhere near £300.  

3 hours ago, North Terrace Gazza said:

We're talking about league games here. Oh and by the way Ayr have a population of 50K not the 11K that Methil have!

The clue is in our name.  East Fife should draw support from the whole Levenmouth area and into the East Neuk which has a population of 35k+.   Raith Rovers is our traditional derby and if we think we have got a chance of beating them, even now I would expect us to take 800+ to Starks Park. If you don't believe that we have derby games in Fife, the game with the 1200 away support is on YouTube.

They have an average home support of about 500 yet bring a travelling support of 1200???? Impressive!

Stop crowd wanking. What do you want a pat on the back for having a bigger support than we do?

It's pretty clear we will take more supporters to Kirkcaldy than Ayr will for obvious reasons, just like you lot will if you played Kilmarnock.

Anyway, come on down to the diddy league beside us where the water is always warm.

6 hours ago, Skyline Drifter said:

I can do the maths fine. There isnt a professional footballer in the country working anywhere near a 39 hour week. Most of them do less than 15 hours. Minimum wage for a footballer is nowhere near £300.  

For the sake of balance, you* would be paying equivalent of a full time minimum wage and would be asking a player to forego the wage from a full time minimum wage job. The fact that full time footballers only notionally work full time isn't really relevant to the question of attracting players to the club. The point the chap was making, I presume, is that it must be extremely difficult to attract a competent player for full time wages of £300 a quid. 

* not you personally.

2 hours ago, Poet of the Macabre said:

I could make fun of your ironic avatar. 

I could make fun of the fact you somehow needed to edit that post.

Almost seems cruel, though. Relegation must have really hurt.

Aye you could.

FYI, The Avatar is now 4 years old and I see no reason to change it. It's far from new as tbh I've laughed at the P**s since the time they were 2nd bottom of the old 2nd division (a decade or two more before the days avatars and PC's) I agree it's not quite as pertinent now as it was 4 years ago but no doubt like fashion it will someday be apt' again. Incidentally in my life time I've seen my club languish near the bottom of the old 2nd div too....just never that lowly

The reason for the edit was I originally didn't feel the need to quote you but somebody jumped in between us and I realised it didn't look right. I knew you'd only be confused and so added your name to the post just to let you know your thoughts hadn't been over looked.

Lastly you are right (as you'll very well aware) relegation isn't nice and does hurt but I appreciate all of your repeated efforts and advice when coming on here and having a wee dig us at any given opportunity, and surprise, surprise here you are again, in the words on Al Murray "you're obsessed".  You may think that given my avatar that last comment is a tad hypocritical but when considered that yet again were are having this banter on the Rovers thread and not Walking down the Halbeath Rd thread it should be clear that the avatar isn't actually there for your benefit (But still you feel the need to bite).

Hopefully you will see this avatar return to rile you back in this section for season 2018-19 though knowing some on here I've no doubt they'll be unable to contain themselves and will spot it while trolling the Rovers Div 1 thread next season.

TTFN.

Edited by Scottydog
Just because I can