The New Raith Rovers Thread

1 minute ago, Mr X said:

If special dispensation were given, though - and Ive no idea obviously if it was or wasnt - then that would mean Dryesdale was wrong, as hes quoted as saying its "never been used before"

Wrong again! What a surprise.

During 1 of the 10 phone calls made by our CEO between Saturday and Tuesday  to the SPFL did it not cross his mind to ask what/ all our options were?He claims he was kept in the dark until Tuesday afternoon that there was a rule that sanctioned the signing of a goalkeeper on a short term deal .Pretty  sure if he had asked early doors e.g. first phone call whoever he spoke to would have been forthcoming with the info instead of waiting to hear on Tuesday afternoon

It woud appear that given his experience Eric Drysdale is no very good,  for someone in his position not to know the rules is bordering on incompetence (would he have gotten away with this when he was a banker).  It sums up how badly the club is being led.  I wonder if this would have happened if Turnbull Hutton had still been here.  We,  unfortunately will never know, but something or someone has to be seen to be doing something about this.  I only hope that the goalkeeping situation is being addressed and that there will be an experienced goalkeeper in place for the St Mirren game and for as long after that as neccessary.  We must be the biggest joke team in the history of Scottish Football thank you BOD.   Ok second biggest joke in Scottish Football.

Edited by steakngravy
Zen Archer hit the nail on the head two teams with buffons in charge.

Eric's excuses just get more desperate:

Tuesday (club statement) - it's the fault of the SPFL and their regulations we couldn't sign a keeper and then they wouldn't cancel the game. 

Wednesday (SPFL statement in response to Rovers statement) - it's not our fault. We've already explained all your options, you declined to use any of them

Wednesday (Eric's interview on STV) - it's not really the SPFL's fault we didn't sign a keeper, some deals fell through.... it's not my fault though, some information wasn't given to me.

Thursday (FFP interview with Eric, presumably given on Tuesday or Wednesday) - it is all the SPFL's fault. 

A better course of action? Put out a statement before the game on Tuesday - "sorry fans, we've tried our best to bring someone in but a couple of potential deals fell through at the last minute. Plus we've realised, too late to do anything about it, that we could've found another way to bring someone in. We know this isn't good enough and no one is more upset about this than we are. We promise we will learn  from this and won't let something like this happen again" 

Mistakes / oversights happen but making crap excuses and passing the buck (rather than just accepting blame, learning and moving forward) isn't the right way to deal with them.

I'm just thoroughly sick of the whole embarrassing fiasco.

Edited by Nairney
Punctuation

8 minutes ago, steakngravy said:

It woud appear that given his experience Eric Drysdale is no very good,  for someone in his position not to know the rules is bordering on incompetence (would he have gotten away with this when he was a banker).  It sums up how badly the club is being led.  I wonder if this would have happened if Turnbull Hutton had still been here.  We,  unfortunately will never know, but something or someone has to be seen to be doing something about this.  I only hope that the goalkeeping situation is being addressed and that there will be an experienced goalkeeper in place for the St Mirren game and for as long after that as neccessary.  We must be the biggest joke team in the history of Scottish Football thank you BOD.

Aye?

Image result for glasgow rangers died

10 hours ago, renton said:

Agree with your whole post. Those aren't technically bad players but they look absolutely done for confidence, and I have absolutely no conception of how they go out and win another game of football as a group.

We look fucked.

they have been so badly coached/trained by Locke & Jackson that Hughes is having a hell of  job re-coaching them

how Locke managed to coach them not to score goals is anybody's guess but he sure did it

if you want to ruin a half decent squad of players give them to Gary Locke, shameful

21 minutes ago, Ancient Mariner said:

they have been so badly coached/trained by Locke & Jackson that Hughes is having a hell of  job re-coaching them

how Locke managed to coach them not to score goals is anybody's guess but he sure did it

if you want to ruin a half decent squad of players give them to Gary Locke, shameful

Or maybe Thomson Davidson Stewart Cuthbert etc are  just not good enough anymore. Our great run last season was due to the players we couldn't retain in the summer. We were also pish last season until Connelly Longridge Hardie  and Harry P were signed. All the goals and creative play we enjoyed was lost when those guys left. I'm not denying he was shite but I don't get all this "it's all Gary Locke's fault". We only finished 4th in a league of 10 last season i think some of you all got a bit carried away with that and now think the players we retained from last seasons squad are better than they actually are. Surely the players should be held atleast partly responsible for our current plight. 

Or maybe Thomson Davidson Stewart Cuthbert etc are  just not good enough anymore. Our great run last season was due to the players we couldn't retain in the summer. We were also pish last season until Connelly Longridge Hardie  and Harry P were signed. All the goals and creative play we enjoyed was lost when those guys left. I'm not denying he was shite but I don't get all this "it's all Gary Locke's fault". We only finished 4th in a league of 10 last season i think some of you all got a bit carried away with that and now think the players we retained from last seasons squad are better than they actually are. Surely the players should be held atleast partly responsible for our current plight. 

Gary Locke was given the lion's share of an established Championship squad. He then added to that squad badly. God knows what he was doing in training but we've got steadily worse over the season.

The second half of last season was the best football at Starks for years. Since Christmas this season has been a complete disaster. At the moment it doesn't look salvageable. Gary Locke is to blame. The Board are to blame for appointing a proven failure of a manager.

Big, big gamble which hasn't come off.

48 minutes ago, RR #1 said:

We weren't "pish" until the players came in around Jan time last season. We barely left 4th place all season. We went on a sticky run at the same find every Rovers team in living memory have.

No point trying to rewrite history to mitigate our current plight. These players should be doing much much better than they are. Locke is not to blame for everything, but there is a deep rot in this squad that has been festering for months.

Edited by CALDERON

25 minutes ago, Scary Bear said:

Gary Locke was given the lion's share of an established Championship squad. He then added to that squad badly. God knows what he was doing in training but we've got steadily worse over the season.

The second half of last season was the best football at Starks for years. Since Christmas this season has been a complete disaster. At the moment it doesn't look salvageable. Gary Locke is to blame. The Board are to blame for appointing a proven failure of a manager.

Big, big gamble which hasn't come off.

A lot of fans were unhappy at the decision throughout the season, and it was quite divisive across the board. Sure, you had some happy clappers who were chanting his name against Hearts, but by and large the writing was on the wall at that point. 

It was utterly desperate to see the whole situation to pan out. The board announce they have a list of "quality candidates" and yet a week later there's rumours it's down to Aitken (who seemed a reasonable choice) and Locke (who was the stuff of nightmares). Everyone seemed to see that it was an appointment which was a step backwards, but the board insisted he was the man to take the man to take us forward. We got some decent results at the start of the season right enough, but then the utterly baffling signings started. 

Skacel came in, and looked well past it from the off. Scott Roberts came in, and didn't offer much. We then sell Bates in January, and bring Roberts back permanently. We sign Robbie Crawford and give him the whole of about 10 minutes game time. David Syme came in, and then disappeared completely. Even the likes of Osei and Coustrain have been limited in their game time, albeit they're maybe a little behind in their development. 

Even the decision making across the board from the club has been amateurish at times this season. We've had statements coming out moaning about fans not showing up while we were about 12 games unbeaten. We've had hospitality with a Q&A session with Locke and Skacel, conveniently timed to feature when we were playing Hearts at home.

One of the things I'd hope the club do in the summer is review how we market ourselves. We have Rovers TV which is utterly spectacular, in particular the wee promo videos they were doing earlier in the season. But aside from that we have nothing like snapchat or instagram, and very little presence. Even our development team has a better use of social media with Easton constantly uploading snippets from training sessions and wee bits.Compared to other teams in the league, we're well behind. I'm in Falkirk quite a lot and there's loads of posters and the like dotted about the town their which stand out (admittedly, anything newer than 2 weeks old stands out in Falkirk). 

Regardless, now isn't really the time to worry about anything on that front. Our next game is utterly huge. Midweek games at Starks can either tend to be ridiculously flat or bouncing depending on how things are going. If we could somehow get a reverse of fortunes, then it'd be a huge welcome relief for the club, the players and the fans. Need everyone to stand up and be counted. 

Strangely Yogi was still suggesting after the game that Stevo might have to continue in goal, as they couldn't bring anyone else in.

It's one thing blaming everyone else when it's clearly your f**k up, but it's even worse when you can't get your own story straight.