The New Raith Rovers Thread

Would be astonished if Hughes is interested in job. Rumoured to have turned down St Mirren previously and saying things like he was waiting for an opportunity in England. That said the longer he is out of the game may force a reassessment of his ambition level.

The Manager who is seriously outperforming his budget and PT status on a consistent basis is Stephen Aitken. He also did a good job at Stranraer..

Not a good time for anybody to give up a job and move to Raith. Risk of second bottom can't be ignored - no risk for the unemployed but more of a decision for those who may have to leave a job and go FT.

Aitken has really turned things around since the Bonnyrigg disgrace and for that I'd much rather he stayed but don't kid yourself on that he's working with a small budget. I have no doubt it's lower than most, if not all in the division but it wont be by a great deal and it's absolutely not a pittance.

We have guys who will be on a very, very healthy part-time wage. I'd say our current squad is on a hell of a lot more than any Ian Murray squad was.

It's a difficult one for the board. Do they go down the route of putting faith in someone internal until the season is finished in a hope we can stay up or look to get a new manager in permanently asap? To many factors at the moment that might be off putting to some, the glaringly obvious one being it's not a certainty we'll stay up but I guess some managers might see that as a challenge that they're willing to accept. FFP might be interesting tomorrow. 

Has Bambino been in yet to tell us how overjoyed Vaughan is yet? :P

30 minutes ago, Bring Back Paddy Flannery said:

Aitken is probably one of the few manager's in scotland with a worse win ration this season than Locke...surely raith have ambition above that!!

Yes, he's steadied the ship recently, but it was him who has come close to sinking in it on numerous ocassions....any championship manager who loses over two matches, without even scoring a goal, to a junior side should not be anywhere near a shortlist for a gig at a bigger club.  As some have said, dumbarton's budget is higher than previous managers and by all accounts for the most part the football has been somewhere between chronic to horrendous. 

Raith have a decent squad and even under Locke i doubt they would have come close to being relegated, this is an easy gig for a half decent manager - personally i think it will be Danny Lennon, but dont rule out the old master John McGlynn.

Aitken has really turned things around since the Bonnyrigg disgrace and for that I'd much rather he stayed but don't kid yourself on that he's working with a small budget. I have no doubt it's lower than most, if not all in the division but it wont be by a great deal and it's absolutely not a pittance.

We have guys who will be on a very, very healthy part-time wage. I'd say our current squad is on a hell of a lot more than any Ian Murray squad was.

McGlynn would be a half decent shout on a temporary basis but I really don't see him being someone who could take us forward beyond that.

Not convinced he would be interested either.

I wonder if the board still keep in touch with Maurice Malpas....

I love John Mclgynn, but I think the game has moved on a wee bit. One of Lockes failings was that he was too much in the Jim Jeffries style of tactics, I dont see Mcglynn being a radical change away from that.  

1 hour ago, Raithie said:

Just having a look at the league table. I actually didn't realise we're only a point behind Dunfermline with the same games played. Didn't quite realise how pish Dunfermline were at the start of the season if it's as close as it is just now. 

I think when you look back at our decent start, where we won our opening three matches, we just didn't know at the time how bad the teams we played were.

We beat Ayr, before they signed Harkins & Balatoni, which started a run of six without win.

We beat St Mirren, in their second match of 14 league matches without a win.

And then we beat Dunfermline (before they signed half a new team), in the second match of a sequence which saw them win once in twelve league matches (against St Mirren).

At the time, it felt like two great wins over promotion play-off rivals, and a solid win away to a promoted side on opening day. With hindsight, would Locke have made it til Christmas if we didn't play these teams until October?

Locke's other three league wins were against Dumbarton (midway through a 10 match winless run), Queen of the South (midway through a crisis run of one win in 17 across all competitions) and Falkirk (starting a run of two wins in 10 matches). 

When I read that back... holy fuck we are rotten. Thanks Gary.

'Laurie Ellis word on the street' or so my pal messaged me. What street I'm unsure.

Knows the players. Knows the club. Has worked with Murray and McKinnon. Within our budget. Nae experience. Might work but if it doesn't pay off then we're down. Risky strategy.

To be fair for those guys who have decent jobs PT football in Championship is a good option although trying to combine. FT job with football at a decent level is a very tough shift.

On the Bonnyrigg debacle Aitken has to take some of the blame but what about the players? It is hard for them as a group to justify beating DUFC and falling to a junior side over two games.

Overall though I would say that Aitken's cv is pretty decent.

'Laurie Ellis word on the street' or so my pal messaged me. What street I'm unsure.

Knows the players. Knows the club. Has worked with Murray and McKinnon. Within our budget. Nae experience. Might work but if it doesn't pay off then we're down. Risky strategy.

Laurie was at the game last night which might be where it came from but think that has more to do with united playing Morton on the 25th, can't see him coming back nor can I see us going for him.

I liked the way we went about our business with Mckinnon – a young manager who has proven himself in the lower leagues and is ready for a full time gig.  To be fair to Locke, he was straight in at the deepend at Hearts and Killie, and didn’t give him time to acquit himself as a manager really. 

Ideally we would follow that same process (names such as Young at Albion Rovers and even Aitken spring to mind) – but that is more medium term.  Immediate priority is survival in this league – we don’t have time for someone to “grow in” to the job really.

Tough call to make.

To be fair for those guys who have decent jobs PT football in Championship is a good option although trying to combine. FT job with football at a decent level is a very tough shift.

On the Bonnyrigg debacle Aitken has to take some of the blame but what about the players? It is hard for them as a group to justify beating DUFC and falling to a junior side over two games.

Overall though I would say that Aitken's cv is pretty decent.

The Bonnyrigg shambles, our style of play and poor form at that time has to be blamed on Aitken. Of course the players needed to do better but they were set out to play in a cunt of a system that simply didn't work. We played the same tactics at Easter Road as we did against Bonnyrigg at home. Thankfully things have drastically improved and we no longer play that vile system and for that reason I'd far rather he stayed.

He does have a decent CV, I was simply pointing out that he isn't exactly working on a shoestring budget. He has, without a doubt, been backed to the hilt financially. Some of our part-time players don't even work outside of playing for us, as far as I'm aware. It was certainly the case for Stevenson and I'm sure there are others.

34 minutes ago, Bring Back Paddy Flannery said:

Some of our part-time players don't even work outside of playing for us, as far as I'm aware. It was certainly the case for Stevenson and I'm sure there are others.

Darren Barr definitely, Mark Brown and Fraser Wright too before he left. There will be others because #$on$.