The New Raith Rovers Thread

From the outside looking in some of these statements from the Rovers board come across as utterly amateur.

You wont attract more fans by, erm, criticising fans. Numbers will always correlate with how the team is performing and league position.

An injection of professionalism is absolutely required here.

Turnbull Hutton regularly came out with this sort of statement. Eric is just carrying on the tradition.

Not even 1000 home tickets shifted for the cup tie with Hearts yet, according to the FFP. That's appalling but pretty indicative of a number of factors - we're appalling, it's 20 quid, it's on TV, the hassle of needing a ticket. Surely there'll be a cash gate for home fans.

The article also notes Hearts have sold out their 3500 allocation, so looks like the police are insisting on a 3000 limit in the North Stand again. 339 seats needlessly going to waste.

Premium season ticket holders get in with their season ticket. Not sure how many that accounts for.

5 hours ago, roverthemoon said:

Am I right in thinking that Drysdale was sat around the Boardroom table during the whole Anelka thing. Yet didn't resign, speak out against it or even express one concern about it publically? If that's the case then it's shameful that he's anywhere near the club, never mind the Chief Executive. 

This and was also sitting around the boardroom table during the Danny Smith,Colin McGowan appointments

One thing out of this Bates transfer that makes me uncomfortable is the sentiment that, "We couldn't stand in his way."

Whilst I agree that you wouldn't want to stand in the way of a dream move for one of the players, I feel that it also sets an unhealthy precedent and may encourage bigger teams to come in with absolutely shite offers knowing that the club won't put up much of a fight.

40 minutes ago, Andy C said:

One thing out of this Bates transfer that makes me uncomfortable is the sentiment that, "We couldn't stand in his way."

Whilst I agree that you wouldn't want to stand in the way of a dream move for one of the players, I feel that it also sets an unhealthy precedent and may encourage bigger teams to come in with absolutely shite offers knowing that the club won't put up much of a fight.

We can't stand in his way but we can see the club right. For example I read yesterday that Falkirk have offered Sibbald a deal which means even if he turns it down, any new club would be due a 240k development fee

Bates hasn't played nearly as many games as Sibbald, but we could have made moves to protect our investment slightly rather than a swap deal for a couple of players

8 hours ago, Poet of the Macabre said:

Cash flow issues, club blaming the fans, over budget on terrible signings...very similar to pre-implosion Pars.

Except for it isn't at all. The Pars implosion happened over the course of ten to fifteen years with players being signed on massive contracts. I'm sure some Pars fan (might've been Gordie) said it worked out that they spent at least 100% of their total revenue on the wage bill along. The Pars fans love to do the whole 'the community saved our club', but they fail to mention nobody wanted Masterton out before administration. The line was firmly toed that the club had a trust fund which would alleviate any financial worries when Masterton eventually left. Pre-admin, there was no Masterton out campaign, and there were no questions asked.

7 hours ago, Paco said:

Didn't Masterton and his board take 0p in the pound?

Correct. They accepted the offer and as the majority of the CVA was to him, he decided to take the hit for his dodgy dealings himself. 

Meanwhile, Jim Leishman, the club legend that he is, pleaded innocent and said he wasn't privvy to the fact that the Pars were failing financially. Again, no questions asked... 

24 minutes ago, donny86 said:

We can't stand in his way but we can see the club right. For example I read yesterday that Falkirk have offered Sibbald a deal which means even if he turns it down, any new club would be due a 240k development fee

Bates hasn't played nearly as many games as Sibbald, but we could have made moves to protect our investment slightly rather than a swap deal for a couple of players

One thing I will add is that we've tied down Vaughan, Matthews and Callachan. That's pretty much our best trio of young players. Was Bates on a three year deal? Pretty sure McKinnon put that to him when he started impressing during the first half of last season. 

2 hours ago, rw89 said:

Correct. They accepted the offer and as the majority of the CVA was to him, he decided to take the hit for his dodgy dealings himself. 

That's not correct at all. Masterton abstained in the CVA when it became apparent that he didn't have enough of the vote to block it. The biggest creditor was EEP Ltd, who were also in administration. The administrator of that company had that company's voting right, and agreed to the CVA. The suggestion that Masterton agreed to 'take the hit' to allow the club to survive is way, way off the mark.

The long contracts were actually a relic of the first time the problems came to the surface around 2003/04 when Masterton's Stadia Group collapsed - players agreed new terms and some asked for, and were given, long contracts - Scott Thomson is the best-known example. And the problems that eventually came to a head in 2012/13 had as their source the ridiculous overspend from 2000-2004. There were actually a few of us questioning things back then, but you're right that as a support collectively we did not scrutinise things enough.

Meanwhile, Jim Leishman, the club legend that he is, pleaded innocent and said he wasn't privvy to the fact that the Pars were failing financially. Again, no questions asked... 

It was Jim Leishman, along with some other board members leaving the board that really got the ball rolling with regards to people asking the correct questions. It's quite plausible he didn't know the full extent of the shambles we had become, it had gotten to the stage where Yorkston sacked McIntyre without any of the other board members knowing.

There were plenty people wanting Masterton out, they weren't going to achieve anything though so why waste the time and effort?

So apart from being pretty wrong that's a great post, will certainly help feed the chip on your shoulder.

Have yous sacked Golden Gary yet chaps? Then I can come back to liking yous! Right. At this moment, and with ShandonPars heart melting post about the Hibees, a lot of love is lost and that's not a good thing! [emoji20] 

We're not particularly enjoying it either mate.

Saw Shandons post, it made my eyes vomit. [emoji6]

5 hours ago, Raith25 said:

Pleased with the news about Bene, would get in every team in this leagues defence. Get M'voto signed on now and good solid partnership for next season

He may well be decent but don't talk pish!

Many times have you seen each team?