The New Raith Rovers Thread

Alright boys, seems as we (Stirling Albion) are intrested in Darren Petrie, how was he for you lot ?

He started two friendlies and two early season cup games against lower league opposition. Apart from that he was on the bench until the January transfer window when he moved to Albion Rovers. Better ask them.

Alright boys, seems as we (Stirling Albion) are intrested in Darren Petrie, how was he for you lot ?

Nobody knows his best position, he played at LB at Stenhousemuir which was apparently his best position and he put in one of the worst performances I've seen at LB.. He does have a bit of pace about him though and McKinnon did say that Petrie really impressed him in League 1 at Brechin so I have no doubt that Petrie will stroll that league. More so than the imposter that also moved from us to another league 2 team :lol:

In all seriousness, never really got a chance, I think McKinnon brought him in as part of his 5 year plan instead of being an instant impact. Wish him all the best if he was to go and move to yourselves.

Petrie has a great dead ball but not much else unfortunately, probably McKinnon's poorest signing. He's also f**k ugly and has a face where all I his features could fit inside a roll of sellotape, so there's that too.

I'm totally relaxed about whoever the manager is having previous failure in their CV - particularly in short timescales football managers have less control over events than many people (including them) often like to imagine, and failure can happen. The best ones will have learned from it.

In any case the only ones who don't have that are either not available because they've moved on to a level above us, or they have no or very little experience. And I'm perfectly open to having someone without experience as well, but not just for the sake of it.

^^has read Soccernomics / Why England Lose imo ( I also agree)

I have absolutely come around to a wildcard appointment. Anyone is a risk, so it might as well be an exciting one.

I said Latapy because he's charismatic, has played at a very high level (Porto) but also knows Scotland - yet he hasn't done a solo gig to put himself out of our reach. He might be a clown but we'd get crowds in for a bit.

Murray did well with Dumbarton when Ross was there as his assistant. He left and Murray turned to sh*t with Dumbarton. He then went to St Mirren, had a much larger budget than what we can offer him yet his team finished 20 points behind us, he lasted until November before St Mirren realised how much of a mistake that they made on appointing him. There is not one fan that will turn round and say he's a good manager, including Dumbarton fans..

Cleland is an U20's coach with very decent contacts, St Johnstone fans all rave about him. He's also a guy who will probably focus a lot on trying to bring the youth through. He may turn out to be an awful manager.

What would you rather though? Murray, a manager who's proven to be poor at this level or Cleland, an untested manager? I know what I'd rather have.

I also never said Murray would have us relegated..

A few exaggerations here. Murray did a great job with us. No doubt that after Ross left our brand of football changed for the worse but without Ross we still stayed clear of the relegation places with relative comfort, which is more than was expected of us. If Muzz can appoint the right guy as a number 2 I reckon he'd do a good job. It's obviously a risk, but if you can tell me one that isn't I'll eat your merkin.

A few exaggerations here. Murray did a great job with us. No doubt that after Ross left our brand of football changed for the worse but without Ross we still stayed clear of the relegation places with relative comfort, which is more than was expected of us. If Muzz can appoint the right guy as a number 2 I reckon he'd do a good job. It's obviously a risk, but if you can tell me one that isn't I'll eat your merkin.

I don't want a manager that's going to keep us clear of relegation. I want a manager to come in, have us play decent attacking football like McKinnon had us doing at times. Without Ross, Murray had you's playing defensive football, did he not? But if I remember rightly, you's conceded more playing his defensive football than you's did when Ross was there playing attacking football.

What's the point in getting rid of Grant Murray, if we're going to bring in someone who's going to have us playing the same way..

Anyway, I'm sure the board will make the right decision and it probably won't be Murray or Cleland anyway..

I don't want a manager that's going to keep us clear of relegation. I want a manager to come in, have us play decent attacking football like McKinnon had us doing at times. Without Ross, Murray had you's playing defensive football, did he not? But if I remember rightly, you's conceded more playing his defensive football than you's did when Ross was there playing attacking football.

What's the point in getting rid of Grant Murray, if we're going to bring in someone who's going to have us playing the same way..

Anyway, I'm sure the board will make the right decision and it probably won't be Murray or Cleland anyway..

Playing decent attacking football is all down to having the players to do it. We were rubbish at it for a third of the season as we had Daly and Wighton. Then we got in some ringers - Connolly, Hardie, Harry Pants - and suddenly we looked like a good side. Edited by Scary Bear

I don't want a manager that's going to keep us clear of relegation.

I think the point he was making was Murray kept them clear of relegation with the standard of players their club had. That's not to say Murray wouldn't do a job at us. Anyhoo we're not going to get a manager that ticks all the boxes as we're an average 2nd tier Scottish team that doesn't have much cash. I think folk are expecting way to much. I bet a lot of folk believe we MUST make the playoffs next season because we made it this year.

I think the point he was making was Murray kept them clear of relegation with the standard of players their club had. That's not to say Murray wouldn't do a job at us. Anyhoo we're not going to get a manager that ticks all the boxes as we're an average 2nd tier Scottish team that doesn't have much cash. I think folk are expecting way to much. I bet a lot of folk believe we MUST make the playoffs next season because we made it this year.

That's a bit harsh. We just expect a manager who isn't a proven failure at this level.

^^has read Soccernomics / Why England Lose imo ( I also agree)

I have absolutely come around to a wildcard appointment. Anyone is a risk, so it might as well be an exciting one.

I said Latapy because he's charismatic, has played at a very high level (Porto) but also knows Scotland - yet he hasn't done a solo gig to put himself out of our reach. He might be a clown but we'd get crowds in for a bit.

Haven't read it - is it any good?

If we're going to go totally leftfield then I'd be happy to go back to the Shelley Kerr suggestion. Someone is going to take the lead with the gender thing someday.

I'd prefer us not to take gender into consideration at all. That's not the correct way to go about employing anyone.

Ability/potential/personality/management style are what's important. If she ticks those boxes for the board, great. But employing her because "someone is going to take the lead over gender some day" and using it as a PR tool? That's not right at all.

Flip it on it's head, would anyone be happy if we signed a man who was doing "alright" at Stirling Uni.

Gender should never be a factor in employment.

Edited by CALDERON

Gender shouldn't come into it, it shouldn't count against her but shouldn't count in her favour either.

We should be setting our sights slightly higher than manager of a third place Lowland League side. Anyone who watched the Edinburgh City play off games the last couple of weeks will have seen the standard is very poor.

Sure, all that is fair enough of course. She'd have to be interviewed and persuade us she was any good, just as any other candidate would. She's more experienced than a good few of the male candidates who've been mentioned, though.

("Gender should never be a factor in employment" is an obvious truism that's often used to disguise the fact that it still very much is an issue. (Unless someone us trying to claim that there isn't, and never has been, any woman who is capable of being a decent manager.))

The general sense here is that we should employ her to be different and for PR reasons.

I don't know how many women apply for jobs at this kind of level. The vast difference between levels of men and women's football makes it extremely difficult to judge how suitable most of these potential candidates would be (whether rightly or wrongly)

The general sense here is that we should employ her to be different and for PR reasons.

I don't know how many women apply for jobs at this kind of level. The vast difference between levels of men and women's football makes it extremely difficult to judge how suitable most of these potential candidates would be (whether rightly or wrongly)

Okay. I know Mc_L mentioned the publicity, but I didn't mean to imply any of that. *If* she were to apply, and *if* the board were to be sufficiently impressed by her then I'd be delighted.

(In more general terms, I do want to see some club take the lead on this sooner rather than later, and would be quite happy if it's us.)

It is that bit harder to judge people who haven't played the game at the level at which they'll be managing, it's true, but there are more than enough examples of managers who've been able to overcome that. John McGlynn being one.

Shelley Kerr is very well decorated in the woman's game, plenty coaching experience, seems to be doing awright at Stirling Uni too. Would definitely bring the club some publicity. Aye, why no?

Better interview Russell Latapy too. Otherwise the poor lad will be suicidal. First racism killing his chances and now women getting the gig before him.