The New Raith Rovers Thread

Barry Smith bombed after the Dundee admin bounce was over (John Brown FFS) and did little at Alloa, if I remember correctly. Aldershot are 15th in the National League too.

I'd rather we stay away fom John Collins, tbh. High profile and has contacts, but ended up out at Hibs following a dressing room revolt (and not forgetting the Scott Brown "dunno" interview). A bit of a walloper by all accounts.

I think I'd rather go with a candidate who's done well with a team in the lower leagues from the names bounded about so far. It may not work, but they'll see it as a chance to get a decent break. Appointing a perennial failure won't automatically mean the candidate will fail here too, but I feel it's better to take the chance on someone fresh.

I don't envy the board one bit. Murray had ran his course but in McKinnon we have a popular, intuituve manager who who had plenty more to give offer. Replacing him will be exceptionally difficult.

To be fair, he done well with us in the -25 point season and was decent if unspectacular the season after. It was only when he had signed a squad for the first division and we were promoted 2 days before the season kicked off did he fail at Dens.

He's a solid but uninspiring candidate taking away the -25 point season. His next job is likely make or break for him as a manager.

I think the one thing he has going for him is that he's managed and signed a lot of the players that are currently at your club which will be important considering McKinnon tied them down before fucking off.

If Smith is appointed you'll play nice football but deeply frustrated at his lack of ability to sign a goal scorer.

In saying that though, he might finally get his chance to bring in his own back room staff. He was refused Jocky Scott as his assistant at Dens, had Paddy Connolly as assistant at Alloa and was given the Aldershot job on the provision he kept Chris Barker as assistant.

Looking at the names being mentioned shows just how much things can change in a year for managers.

The likes of Mixu, Ian Murray and Danny Lennon would've been deemed good appointments by most when the job was available last year...not so much now.

On the flip side of that, Gary Naysmith who seemed like such an uninspiring candidate last year probably looks like one of the best options from the names mentioned so far!

Gah! Had my hopes dashed there... I thought there was an end in sight to the hanging on, waiting for the inevitable news! This feels like it's all been going on for so much longer than it actually has. Was it not just a week ago since Dundee beat United at Dens? So much seems to have happened since then!