The New Raith Rovers Thread

Let's say we play Falkirk in the playoffs.... Do we play craigen? It's a hard one as he's been playing great recently

Depends whether he'd be willing to do a Clum Elliot should we beat them  ;)

Don't know if I'd trust him with a kick though if it came to pens  :huh:

Its incredibly tricky situation.

Craigen has acquitted himself well since it became known he is going to Falkirk, and he may well continue to do so in the upcoming game against them. 

But thats a totally different situation than a do or die play off game against them.  Theres no way of knowing how he would cope with that. 

Bobby Barr didnt look very comfortable against us a few weeks back, probably not helped by the Rovers support :lol:

Its probably better for the player himself to be left out.  He could give 110% and still have a mare of a game, miss a pen or a great chance, and it would straight away paint him a bad light. (not saying thats right)

Put it this way...if we play Falkirk, and lose - I highly doubt it will be because we didnt play James Craigen.  He isnt crucial enough for me to be a "must pick"

Its incredibly tricky situation.

Craigen has acquitted himself well since it became known he is going to Falkirk, and he may well continue to do so in the upcoming game against them.

But thats a totally different situation than a do or die play off game against them. Theres no way of knowing how he would cope with that.

Bobby Barr didnt look very comfortable against us a few weeks back, probably not helped by the Rovers support :lol:

Its probably better for the player himself to be left out. He could give 110% and still have a mare of a game, miss a pen or a great chance, and it would straight away paint him a bad light. (not saying thats right)

Put it this way...if we play Falkirk, and lose - I highly doubt it will be because we didnt play James Craigen. He isnt crucial enough for me to be a "must pick"

Agreed. Although, I'd probably want to use him for the first half as a way of utilising a good, but not irreplaceable, player - then hook him at half time so there is plenty of time left for the replacement to contribute.

Leaving him out completely works far more for Falkirk than us. Yes, I know he could spurn a chance in the first half too, but I believe his professionalism will allow him to play it straight knowing that the second half gives both teams their opportunity to change the game.

It is a very tough situation us to be in, but I just don't think Craigen would be able to play in such an important game. It's doubly bad for us because it's a game that he would almost certainly play in, especially away from home where we'd be mad to go with Connolly on one side and Longridge on the other.

As it stands I expect him to play in the game Saturday week, as for the play off games, we can cross that bridge if we come to it. If he plays well against them in that game it could cost Falkirk 2nd place and I doubt they'd be happy with that either.

If (and thats a big "if"  ;)  ) however we do come to it I'd expect him to sit out the PO games against Falkirk (Unless he flip-flops and does a Calum Elliot on them) and we go with Longridge and Connolly out wide with Callachan and Robertson/Davo/Matthews in the middle.

Edited by Scottydog

I don't think Craigen will play in the Play off game. And I think leaving him out would just be sensible/easiest all round. I think the only thing it will impact on is our options from the bench as I think our play off team will see a tight midfield 4 with Davo and Toshney playing in the middle and Callaghan on the Right, similar to how we lined up in Greenock. My play off XI prediction would be

Cuthbert

Thomson Barr Bene McKeown

Callaghan Davo Toshney Longridge

Stewart Hardie

The thing about Craigen is that he is a bit of shite bag anyway when it comes to a 50/50. I can see the south stand blowing a gasket if/when he does that in a play off against his new employers.

I'd have no problem with him playing if it's right for the team. Probably take him off penalties though, would be better for everyone if that scenario was avoided. Give them to Harry.