The New Raith Rovers Thread

Sorry to hear that guys, was following his progress in recent days throughout the thread and thinking how awful it must be to be in his situation. Massive credit to him for seemingly remaining so positive despite being in a desperate situation.

RIP :(

Martin Nelson, forever the Debbie Downer.

I also said that I believe St Mirren could catch us. And now they are only four points behind, I got a ticking off for saying they'll finish fourth. I'm still going to say we'll finish 7th, I'm hoping to be proven wrong.

My thoughts and condolences to all at Raith, as well as Ally's family and friends on the death of Ally Gourlay. RIP to Mr Raith Rovers. A great loss to your club but also to Scottish football. I pray that Ally is now at peace and is pain free. ????

I saw Ally on Thursday and he said that he was ready.

Obviously sorry to lose him but happy that his final journey was peaceful.

As unwell as he was, he was still hammering home to me how important it was to follow ambitions and not let them fall by the wayside.

Top man.

RIP Ally. Knew him the last 14/15 years or so and a nicer man you would not meet. A gentleman and a Raith Rovers legend whose love for his club always showed.

Gave the cancer a good battle, cracking quote above about the extra time and penalties.

RIP Ally.

From his son, Jonathon:

Last night, the 6th of February 2016, the world lost a great man.

Dad has touched the lives of so many. Throughout his illness he has ensured that he has controlled it on his terms, that he wouldn't respect cancer because it doesn't respect those who lives it touches.

He was a man who never put his illness in front of the times and memories he could create with family and friends. I don't believe there was a day that Dad spent where it wasn't full of fun and laughter. But he was also born with a warm and gentle heart. He was the man you could go to with any news, excitement or issues because he would always make sure the happiness of those around him came first.

He was Mr Raith Rovers. The club was a core in his life, through attending with his father, brothers, daughter and sons; all the way through to his last days as media manager with the club. It's hard to image Ally Gourlay without Stark's Park, but it's impossible to think of Stark's Park without our Dad.

He also brought people together through music. Art School Dancing was, as he put it, 'The Asylum for the musically insane'. Every Monday, Dad would proceed to bring to your ears some of the most random, unheard of tracks that were yet oddly brilliant. He had a talent in spotting great upcoming bands, and pushing their music out against the hoards of mainstream pop usually heard today.

But most importantly, he was a great Dad. To Samantha, his eldest whom he could not ask for more. She was his princess, the sparkle in his eye, and a mum to two beautiful and sweet grandkids with her future husband Grant.
To Matthew, his youngest. In the eyes of Matthew, Dad was his hero. Through his growing up, he couldn't stop saying how proud he was of his son, and that he had continued in his father's lead of exploring the weird and wonderful sounds and music.
To Ian & Mary, Andrew & Angela, he was a great brother. Being the youngest by 12 years, he looked up to his brothers with an awe. To their wives, they were always his sisters. He had never known a time without them, and had never felt of anything but the same love to them he had for his brothers.
To his Mum and Dad, he was the beautiful baby boy. They had been so proud of how he had grown up and the family he had brought up. He loved them both with all his heart.
And to me, Jonathon, it may not have been Raith but he always supported my career and hobby in the railways, in everything I did and made time to ensure I could follow my dreams. He was so proud of Jessica, his lovely daughter in law who he adored, and enjoyed the battle of wits between them both.

He has been, and always will be, my Dad and to Samantha and Matthew too. His greatest achievement in life, was creating the loving family and helping nurture us as we grew up.

May my Dad finally feel at peace. Having slipped away gently in the night, as the spirits of his Mum and Dad came to lead him safely to Heaven, know that he was happy. He loved, and was loved, and shall never be forgotten. He leaves behind so many tears, but also so many smiles and memories.

"Talk of the times, the love and the laughing."

Alastair John Gourlay
05.07.1962 to 06.02.2016

RIP Ally.

From his son, Jonathon:

Last night, the 6th of February 2016, the world lost a great man.

Dad has touched the lives of so many. Throughout his illness he has ensured that he has controlled it on his terms, that he wouldn't respect cancer because it doesn't respect those who lives it touches.

He was a man who never put his illness in front of the times and memories he could create with family and friends. I don't believe there was a day that Dad spent where it wasn't full of fun and laughter. But he was also born with a warm and gentle heart. He was the man you could go to with any news, excitement or issues because he would always make sure the happiness of those around him came first.

He was Mr Raith Rovers. The club was a core in his life, through attending with his father, brothers, daughter and sons; all the way through to his last days as media manager with the club. It's hard to image Ally Gourlay without Stark's Park, but it's impossible to think of Stark's Park without our Dad.

He also brought people together through music. Art School Dancing was, as he put it, 'The Asylum for the musically insane'. Every Monday, Dad would proceed to bring to your ears some of the most random, unheard of tracks that were yet oddly brilliant. He had a talent in spotting great upcoming bands, and pushing their music out against the hoards of mainstream pop usually heard today.

But most importantly, he was a great Dad. To Samantha, his eldest whom he could not ask for more. She was his princess, the sparkle in his eye, and a mum to two beautiful and sweet grandkids with her future husband Grant.

To Matthew, his youngest. In the eyes of Matthew, Dad was his hero. Through his growing up, he couldn't stop saying how proud he was of his son, and that he had continued in his father's lead of exploring the weird and wonderful sounds and music.

To Ian & Mary, Andrew & Angela, he was a great brother. Being the youngest by 12 years, he looked up to his brothers with an awe. To their wives, they were always his sisters. He had never known a time without them, and had never felt of anything but the same love to them he had for his brothers.

To his Mum and Dad, he was the beautiful baby boy. They had been so proud of how he had grown up and the family he had brought up. He loved them both with all his heart.

And to me, Jonathon, it may not have been Raith but he always supported my career and hobby in the railways, in everything I did and made time to ensure I could follow my dreams. He was so proud of Jessica, his lovely daughter in law who he adored, and enjoyed the battle of wits between them both.

He has been, and always will be, my Dad and to Samantha and Matthew too. His greatest achievement in life, was creating the loving family and helping nurture us as we grew up.

May my Dad finally feel at peace. Having slipped away gently in the night, as the spirits of his Mum and Dad came to lead him safely to Heaven, know that he was happy. He loved, and was loved, and shall never be forgotten. He leaves behind so many tears, but also so many smiles and memories.

"Talk of the times, the love and the laughing."

Alastair John Gourlay

05.07.1962 to 06.02.2016

Beautiful, truly beautiful. Sitting in tears right now.