stuart.

Quick Question Thread

Now I know that our equilibrium and balance are located in our ears, but does anyone know how to 'reset' it or why it's affecting my entire body??

Spent the last week working in the Orkney Islands, which involved a catamaran trip to and from the main island, and four different there-and-back island hopper ferries.

However, since Wednesday night, I have had this constant feeling in my body and head that I'm still on a boat bobbing up and down, side-to-side, back and forth and it's making me feel queazy and just generally crap.

Without the wise-cracking, predictable P&B sadists suggesting I kill myself - Has anyone any tips or ideas on how to get this to stop?? :(

Doesn't seem to be a proven way to help.....

http://traveltips.usatoday.com/ones-land-legs-20745.html

Now I know that our equilibrium and balance are located in our ears, but does anyone know how to 'reset' it or why it's affecting my entire body??

Spent the last week working in the Orkney Islands, which involved a catamaran trip to and from the main island, and four different there-and-back island hopper ferries.

However, since Wednesday night, I have had this constant feeling in my body and head that I'm still on a boat bobbing up and down, side-to-side, back and forth and it's making me feel queazy and just generally crap.

Without the wise-cracking, predictable P&B sadists suggesting I kill myself - Has anyone any tips or ideas on how to get this to stop?? :(

Nope.

Earlier this year I got the ferry to Shetland for my gran's funeral.

I met my cousin on the ferry up and we got pretty drunk. He had a cabin but I had a shitty 'sleeping pod'. After trying to sleep on the floor of the cinema, unsuccessfully, I retired to my shitty sleeping pod where I managed to get about 3 and a half hours sleep through moderate chop. This was an overnight ferry and I disembarked in Shetland at about 07.20.

That was the day of my gran's funeral. The whole day I had that 'swaying, feeling of being on a boat' sensation that you desribe where I almost lost my balance many times and on a few occasions stumbled forward a few steps, even when sober. This included nearly stumbling into my gran's open grave.

Anyway, after the funeral we all got pretty pissed. I slept a solid 10 hours, waking up in the same position I hit the sack in.

So aye, try that.

Edited by DA Baracus

I met my cousin on the ferry up and we got pretty drunk. He had a cabin but I had a shitty 'sleeping pod'. After trying to sleep on the floor of the cinema, unsuccessfully, I retired to my shitty sleeping pod where I managed to get about 3 and a half hours sleep through moderate chop. This was an overnight ferry and I disembarked in Shetland at about 07.20.

That was the day of my gran's funeral. The whole day I had that 'swaying, feeling of being on a boat' sensation that you desribe where I almost lost my balance many times and on a few occasions stumbled forward a few steps, even when sober. This included nearly stumbling into my gran's open grave.

Anyway, after the funeral we all got pretty pissed. I slept a solid 10 hours, waking up in the same position I hit the sack in.

So aye, try that.

There you go 8Mile bump off your nan, everything will be sound.

So aye, try that.

Was the sleeping pod warmer than your flat?

Was the sleeping pod warmer than your flat?

When I have my (portable) heater on, it's about the same

I'm thinking of getting a GoPro camera for Christmas, Halfords are selling the GoPro Hero for £100, is that a decent buy?

You can get them for a similar price on the GoPro website. I'd go for it. They're so much fun to play with. I'm going to get one for myself.

How necessary is it to book the ice skating in George Square? 5pm on a weekday, but getting patched if chucking it down.

Ice skating is unnecessary in any circumstances.

Quick Question: Would it be wrong/shite to give the money I normally spend on Christmas presents for my family to a cafe looking to feed the homeless on Christmas day?

I've had two answers from friends, both differing views. What say you, PnB?

Quick Question: Would it be wrong/shite to give the money I normally spend on Christmas presents for my family to a cafe looking to feed the homeless on Christmas day?

No it wouldn't, if your family ain't complete selfish self centred arseholes I'm sure they would understand your reasons behind it

Better that than giving them pictures of a goat and a toilet in Africa, like I got last year. When am I going to get to visit them FFS!

Social Bite will let you purchase a meal for a homeless person on Christmas day and "gift" it to someone. I think that's a great thing to do and good on you for considering it. I've decided against sending cards this year and, for various reasons, I'm donating the money I would have used to a mental health charity.

No it wouldn't, if your family ain't complete selfish self centred arseholes I'm sure they would understand your reasons behind it

They're not and this is what I think, one of my friends just put some doubt in my mind. I'm thinking he might be a selfish self centred arsehole.

Social Bite will let you purchase a meal for a homeless person on Christmas day and "gift" it to someone. I think that's a great thing to do and good on you for considering it. I've decided against sending cards this year and, for various reasons, I'm donating the money I would have used to a mental health charity.

This is where it's came from really. I hadn't seen/heard of the cafe before the deal and on checking them out it's fairly amazing what they do. Instead of just giving a fiver for each family member though I was going to just give all the money I would've spent to them.

This is where it's came from really. I hadn't seen/heard of the cafe before the deal and on checking them out it's fairly amazing what they do. Instead of just giving a fiver for each family member though I was going to just give all the money I would've spent to them.

This.

If you are like me, you often end up getting folk stuff purely for the sake of it. This is a far better use of the cash.

Edited by PWL

It's a cracking idea, mate.

They're not and this is what I think, one of my friends just put some doubt in my mind. I'm thinking he might be a selfish self centred arsehole.

Tell him to f**k off, the c**t.

Having been closer than I care to remember to homelessness, it's more obvious to me than it is to some just how easily it really could be me in that position. I'm not a drug addict, an alcoholic or a feckless waster, I'm just a normal person who has had hard times and seen just how badly things can spiral out of control. It's terrifying and I wouldn't wish it on my worst enemy. It certainly won't do your family any harm to consider that.

It depends on the person's circumstances.

I'd be a little peeved if one of my immediate family did that, but then I know all my family members can more than afford to give to charity and still give presents. With us we largely stick to the thought that counts aspect anyway, as most of us just buy what we want for ourselves anyway. I personally would feel bad if I gave the cash at the expense of giving my family a gift but that's because I'm not in an either/or scenario. I've donated a reasonable amount to a number of causes this year, but that comes out of money I would have otherwise saved or spent on myself, not what I spend on family. For those who don't have so much disposable income and would face an either/or choice though, crack on and I'm sure your family would understand.

Edit: Basic jist of my point. Giving to charity = good, not giving to family = only bad if you can comfortably afford to do both.

Edited by Spain

It depends on the person's circumstances.

I'd be a little peeved if one of my immediate family did that, but then I know all my family members can more than afford to give to charity and still give presents. With us we largely stick to the thought that counts aspect anyway, as most of us just buy what we want for ourselves anyway. I personally would feel bad if I gave the cash at the expense of giving my family a gift but that's because I'm not in an either/or scenario. I've donated a reasonable amount to a number of causes this year, but that comes out of money I would have otherwise saved or spent on myself, not what I spend on family. For those who don't have so much disposable income and would face an either/or choice though, crack on and I'm sure your family would understand.

Edit: Basic jist of my point. Giving to charity = good, not giving to family = only bad if you can comfortably afford to do both.

Aye, this is what my mate was getting at. I can afford to give some to charity and get some half decent presents but with my family not really asking for anything/in need of anything I found myself asking whats the point in getting them a t-shirt or something else as PWL says for the sake of it.