Quick Question Thread

Wire problems are wire problems.

"Incidents" are jumpers.

I don't buy their copper thief line. it was at quarter past 9 with trains still running, why would anyone choose that time to steal a cable. Plus there is zero press coverage of it as well. The whole rail network through the centre of Scotland's largest city was shut down and apparently it doesn't merit a mention but a similar act of vandalism at Nishill gets on the beeb with no mention of the similar incident - http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-glasgow-west-22876266

Obviously they need to say something as hundreds of people would be using the train at that time and I don't expect them to announce over the PA that someone is splattered across the track causing delay to journeys.

There is some sort of embargo on reporting suicides especially on the railways where apparently 200 people kill themselves every year in the UK and none of them get reported in the press.

Best Beatles album?

This is a hard question to answer because The Beatles output was so diverse.

I'd probably go for 'Please, Please Me' because it has something incredibly fresh and energetic about it even 50 years later but the consensus seems to form around 'Revolver'.

Edited by Ya Bezzer!

My girlfriends been working from home recently so I have been taking her car to work and back , basically because she always has a full tank and I like to play a dangerous "how far can you go with the petrol light on" game.

So my car has been sitting in the drive not being used for about 9 days. I went to start it tonight and it worked first time, however just one of the wheels has seized up and will not turn at all (the back left). The problem is that I was planning on a 6 hour drive tomorrow at 6am and now I will have to take a Nissan Micra. Any diagnosis would be well received as Garages aren't open at weekends up here.

My girlfriends been working from home recently so I have been taking her car to work and back , basically because she always has a full tank and I like to play a dangerous "how far can you go with the petrol light on" game.

So my car has been sitting in the drive not being used for about 9 days. I went to start it tonight and it worked first time, however just one of the wheels has seized up and will not turn at all (the back left). The problem is that I was planning on a 6 hour drive tomorrow at 6am and now I will have to take a Nissan Micra. Any diagnosis would be well received as Garages aren't open at weekends up here.

With the engine turned on, try rocking the car gently back then forward to try and release the (I assume, drum).

Rub butter in to the nuts.

Zen is pretty much on the money here..

Drum brakes tend to have issues like this for lots of reasons including siezed pivots, levers and cables. It may also be linked to expansion and contraction due to heat..

Try to rock the car forward and backwards (gently) using first and reverse, it should free off but bear in mind they can be stubborn..

If this doesnt work borrow a soft headed hammer and get someone to hit the wheel whilst trying to rock it back and forth as already mentioned.

If it does free off make sure the wheel doesn't get hot compared to the other side after a wee test run and you should be OK...?

If it's a Disc operated handbrake try as above, it might free off and again if it does check how hot it gets compared to the other side.

If you do get the car to move don't reapply the handbrake during your trip at anytime. Use the gears when parking..

Get it checked ASAP after you get back..

Drum brakes tend to have issues like this for lots of reasons including siezed pivots, levers and cables. It may also be linked to expansion and contraction due to heat..

Try to rock the car forward and backwards (gently) using first and reverse, it should free off but bear in mind they can be stubborn..

If this doesnt work borrow a soft headed hammer and get someone to hit the wheel whilst trying to rock it back and forth as already mentioned.

If it does free off make sure the wheel doesn't get hot compared to the other side after a wee test run and you should be OK...?

If it's a Disc operated handbrake try as above, it might free off and again if it does check how hot it gets compared to the other side.

If you do get the car to move don't reapply the handbrake during your trip at anytime. Use the gears when parking..

I never knew that undertakers has such an extensive knowledge of car mechanics. :unsure2:

At last, after how many fucking thousand posts, someone makes me out as a serious poster.

*note to P&B I will immediately revert to type *

I believe that the traditional advice is to turn the heater up full and open the windows.

Alternatively, you could remove the wheel and drive very carefully on the 3 remaining tyres. Corners might prove problematic though,

If I just got the keys for a house in North Donside two weekends ago, will I be able to vote in the by-election later in the week?

Not unless you're already on the electoral register for that area. So if you've moved there from elsewhere, no.

Not unless you're already on the electoral register for that area. So if you've moved there from elsewhere, no.

So how do you ever get on a new one if that's the case? Is it just a time thing before they automatically realise you've moved or do you need to actually tell somebody?

So how do you ever get on a new one if that's the case? Is it just a time thing before they automatically realise you've moved or do you need to actually tell somebody?

You should tell the council at your old house that you are leaving to take you off their council tax. If you are moving to a different area they will remove you from the electoral registrar and inform your new council who will contact you. It all take time 'tho.