Quick Question Thread

Is the term "messages" as in shopping for food and household things Scottish wide?

I've certainly heard it used in Aberdeen and Glasgow and I used to know a girl from Fife that used it regularly. That's a good enough sample size for me, so I'm saying 'yes'.

Thanks all, apart from Zen obviously. It's a strange term when you think of it and its other meanings. Over the years I've seen visitors from England very puzzled when they hear it. I also remember the confusion many years ago when my mother asked for a 'half loaf' in a wee corner shop in Reading.

Thanks all, apart from Zen obviously. It's a strange term when you think of it and its other meanings. Over the years I've seen visitors from England very puzzled when they hear it. I also remember the confusion many years ago when my mother asked for a 'half loaf' in a wee corner shop in Reading.

Bit of a hike for a loaf.

What's the best area of London to stay in for a weekend break with decent transport links for touristy stuff?

If catching the train down theres a premier inn at kings cross,very handy for the tube and a short walk is angel(around the tube station) which is a fine place to go eating and drinking in the evening time

The area around the hotel still has some rough patches but they have certainly cleaned the place up

Is the term "messages" as in shopping for food and household things Scottish wide?

Aye, they use the term widely here in east lothian.

I use that term too.

Until recently, I was getting a lift to work with two Englishmen who were new to Scotland and it took them a while to work out what I meant by 'mind', as in: "Mind I've got the day off tomorrow". Didn't even think about it. In the end, they let out a big "waaaaay!" when I eventually used the word 'remember' after they'd sussed it out. Whenever I go to London with work, I almost always come back discovering a word I thought was English but isn't.

Edited by Hedgecutter

Reasonably priced vegetarian restaurants in edinburgh lads?

I always tend to suggest Hendersons on Hanover Street for veggie's in Edinburgh.

David Bann's on St Mary's Street is also meant to be pretty decent - £12 - £13 a main course.

I use that term too.

Until recently, I was getting a lift to work with two Englishmen who were new to Scotland and it took them a while to work out what I meant by 'mind', as in: "Mind I've got the day off tomorrow". Didn't even think about it. In the end, they let out a big "waaaaay!" when I eventually used the word 'remember' after they'd sussed it out. Whenever I go to London with work, I almost always come back discovering a word I thought was English but isn't.

I just discovered last week that the word jobby is only used in Scotland. Everyone else is seriously missing out.

I just discovered last week that the word jobby is only used in Scotland. Everyone else is seriously missing out.

Between Billy Connolly and myself, we're making headway. I tell my English sons that they smell of jobbies all the time.

I always tend to suggest Hendersons on Hanover Street for veggie's in Edinburgh.

David Bann's on St Mary's Street is also meant to be pretty decent - £12 - £13 a main course.

Seen the Hendersons website, it's billed as an 'art' restaurant. Not packed out with hipsters and student-type barflys is it?