Quick Question Thread

Does anyone have any recommendation for bars in Glasgow where a) they're open past 12, and b) you can reserve a reasonable size area for say 12-15 folk? The only places I can think of off the top of my head are Bloc and

Bunker and it's years since I've been to either.

Although club 30/ tropicana / etc. might do the job.

Mansion House or Lucky Seven might be a decent bet for what you're looking for. Might be a bit rough inside (only been to Mansion House once and it was for a comedy night downstairs at the comedy club), but might be worth a look.

Does anyone have any recommendation for bars in Glasgow where a) they're open past 12, and b) you can reserve a reasonable size area for say 12-15 folk? The only places I can think of off the top of my head are Bloc and Bunker and it's years since I've been to either.

Although club 30/ tropicana / etc. might do the job.

Campus.

One for the train users.

If I were to buy an open return ticket from Kirkcaldy to Stirling, on my way home would I be able to stop at Edinburgh overnight before using the same ticket to get back to Kirkcaldy in the morning? If I've not explained that well enough:

Wednesday: Kirkcaldy - Stirling

Thursday: Stirling - Edinburgh

Friday: Edinburgh - Kirkcaldy

One for the train users.

If I were to buy an open return ticket from Kirkcaldy to Stirling, on my way home would I be able to stop at Edinburgh overnight before using the same ticket to get back to Kirkcaldy

in the morning? If I've not explained that well enough:

In short, yes I think you can.

Although, I may be wrong here, I think you'd be best getting an open return between Kirkcaldy and Edinburgh, not Kirkcaldy and Stirling.

I qualify for a free bus pass but am only 28, fully physically fit and quite able to afford the bus to work which costs me £80pm. Reason for it is that I'm not allowed to drive.

Now, for about a year I've not bothered to apply for one as I feel I'd be taking advantage of the system, but what do you guys think? Would you be in the 'absolutely, you pay your taxes and NI for this sort of thing' or on the 'that's just playing the system at my expense you cheap b*****d' side of the fence? Basically, should I get one or not? unsure.gif

I qualify for a free bus pass but am only 28, fully physically fit and quite able to afford the bus to work which costs me £80pm. Reason for it is that I'm not allowed to drive.

Now, for about a year I've not bothered to apply for one as I feel I'd be taking advantage of the system, but what do you guys think? Would you be in the 'absolutely, you pay your taxes and NI for this sort of thing' or on the 'that's just playing the system at my expense you cheap b*****d' side of the fence? Basically, should I get one or not? unsure.gif

If you're entitled to it, get it.

One for the train users.

If I were to buy an open return ticket from Kirkcaldy to Stirling, on my way home would I be able to stop at Edinburgh overnight before using the same ticket to get back to Kirkcaldy in the morning? If I've not explained that well enough:

It all depend on how the conductor signs it. Some just do a squiggle which means you could show it the next day and get away with it whilst others actually write the date meaning that you'd be screwed. I once went to Tynecastle from Glasgow and then from Edinburgh to Aberdeen that night on a Glasgow to Aberdeen ticket. Thing is that you'll find it tricky getting out of Haymarket / Waverley seeing as they have gates and you have no reason to leave the station with a connection. I usually get around this by asking "any chance I could get out for five mins just to grab a bite to eat over the road?". They're usually a good bunch.

Worst case scenario - you try it on and if the ticket's been marked with the date, you just pay an additional £7.10 which is the price of an Edinburgh to Kirkcaldy single.

You'd be mad not to! I envy the young and healthy blokes getting on my bus each morning who don't pay for a ticket, and I'm only £36 a month.

I have two questions.

1) I rarely use the buses in Glasgow and have no idea how to use the various websites for the companies that operate in Glasgow (the joys of Highland life where Stagecoach are the only real bus service). So how can I find out what bus will take me from the city centre to the Braehead Centre?

2) I have a new laptop and I'm fairly thick when it comes to computer stuff. It's a MacBook (it now means I can look cool sipping a chai tea latte in Starbucks while wearing sandals) so do I require any Norton anti-virus stuff or the like? The guy in the shop was quite vague.

I have two questions.

1) I rarely use the buses in Glasgow and have no idea how to use the various websites for the companies that operate in Glasgow (the joys of Highland life where Stagecoach are the only real bus service). So how can I find out what bus will take me from the city centre to the Braehead Centre?

2) I have a new laptop and I'm fairly thick when it comes to computer stuff. It's a MacBook (it now means I can look cool sipping a chai tea latte in Starbucks while wearing sandals) so do I require any Norton anti-virus stuff or the like? The guy in the shop was quite vague.

1) Traveline Scotland

2) I don't know, but I understand that Macs are fairly immune to viruses. Have a gander in the e-chat forum or ask in there.

I have two questions.

747 from the bus station behind John Lewis ( can't remember its name, used to be Killermont St. ) There are others but the 747 is quickest and most frequent.

Macs are better than PC's but not 100% immune. There is lots of free anti-virus stuff. I use iAntiVirus but check the Mac forums for others.

747 from the bus station behind John Lewis ( can't remember its name, used to be Killermont St. ) There are others but the 747 is quickest and most frequent.

Macs are better than PC's but not 100% immune. There is lots of free anti-virus stuff. I use iAntiVirus but check the Mac forums for others.

Thanks for the reminder, haven't heard this in ages.

I have two questions.

first or mcgills are best bet. There's regular buses from outside govan subway station if you don't fancy the ride for the city centre. I'm not sure it's worthwhile getting train to Paisley and bus to braehead

you probably shouldn't, but you do have to be careful with what you download and what you look at online. It's more likely to be your actions that'll cause an issue rather than a virus or malware that's out there.

Read 'mac user' type websites and magazines for what they reckon.

1) Traveline Scotland

I tend to use Transport Direct instead.

However, the Traveline app is fantastic. It works out where you are, highlights all the bus stops near you and by selecting a stop it tells you the bus times and where's it's off to.

Edited by Hedgecutter