Quick Question Thread

Paypal is asking for my card number and account number as part of security measures. Should I give them it why do they want it?

Just in case this is a serious question, and they asked you in an email, rather than in the process of signing up for a Paypal account, no you should not. Paypal would never ask for bank details in an email, and any link will probably lead to fake page for you to hand over your Bank details to Keithgy..smile.gif

Just in case this is a serious question, and they asked you in an email, rather than in the process of signing up for a Paypal account, no you should not. Paypal would never ask for bank details in an email, and any link will probably lead to fake page for you to hand over your Bank details to Keithgy..smile.gif

I already have them :P

Aye it was just on the website, cheers keith. ;)

Anyone been trained as a lifeguard??

If so how easy and quick was it, I'm a good swimmer, so that's not the problem, just I might be required to do one.

I was a pool lifeguard from 2002-2007, not sure how much will have changed since then, but back then it was a week long course. I actually did it in less because I had other qualifications first (Life Supports 1, 2 & 3, Bronze Medallion & Award of Merit). If you're a good swimmer, then the physical bits are a breeze though, just depends how quick you can pick up the first aid parts of it. It's all pretty simple stuff.

Power off at the mains and unscrew the 2 screws holding the socket face into the socket box.

If you can't push out the earth pin, go to your local hardware shop and buy a new socket face the same size (1 or 2 sockets)

There are likely to be 2 red wires, 2 black wires an a wire covered in loose green or green & yellow sheathing. Disconnect them from the old plug facing.

Connect the red wires to the hole marked L, the black wires to the hole marked N and the green/yellow wires to whatever is marked E or has the earth symbol (looks a bit like a christmas tree)

Make sure all connections are solid & tight

Reattach the socket face to the box with the 2 screws.

Power on at the mains. If the fuse/circuit breaker doesn't trip, then its looking good.

Power off again. Plug in a light, Power on, If the light works, problem is solved.................

Power off at the mains and unscrew the 2 screws holding the socket face into the socket box.

If you can't push out the earth pin, go to your local hardware shop and buy a new socket face the same size (1 or 2 sockets)

There are likely to be 2 red wires, 2 black wires an a wire covered in loose green or green & yellow sheathing. Disconnect them from the old plug facing.

Connect the red wires to the hole marked L, the black wires to the hole marked N and the green/yellow wires to whatever is marked E or has the earth symbol (looks a bit like a christmas tree)

Power on at the mains. If the fuse/circuit breaker doesn't trip, then its looking good.

Power off again. Plug in a light, Power on, If the light works, problem is solved.................

Are the neutral wires not blue?

Ill do that in the morning, but if you never see me post again, this is your fault!

If you've turned off the mains electricity to the socket and don't decide to bugger about with anything else while you're in the socket, you can't go wrong! If you do happen to need to unscrew anything else or pull anything out, make a note of where you got it from and the order to did it so that you know how to put it back the right way. It's really not as scary as you might think. Have you met many electricians? They're not that clever. ;)

All this connecting wires to holes has given me an idea if I ever catch a burglar.

Ooops, yeah. If your house was rewired in the last 5 years or so, it will be brown/blue rather than red/black.

Most houses are still red/black on the ring mains though.

If you fin brown/blue, then brown is L & blue is N

Really? Fucking Physics. I got told that they were red and blue. I think I've been told lies!