Quick Question Thread

How would an 18 year old that just finished school in May go about writing a CV? Just list my address details, school qualifications and hobbies?

edit: also i'm too lazy to want a proper job at the minute, so I'm basically looking for a job in a warehouse as a packer or something untill I can apply for UCAS in january. what an earth would I write in a covering letter?

I'll send you mine if you want? It'll be a couple of days because I sent it to the guy responsible with helping me get a job so he could make it more presentable.

What he did say though, if you don't want my help is to try and limit it to one page because the if the employer wants to know anything, he should be able to see it in 20 seconds or less.

On mines I had, My Details (name, address, house number, mobile number, email), Education.. what I did, where I did it, when I did it and what grades I got, Work Experience and all the stuff related to that like what tasks you had to do and stuff, Skills you have and 2 references.

I don't know how to do a cover letter though, I was meant to send one away to a search agency the other day and didn't know what I was doing so I just left it, probably silly to do, but it would have been shit.

I'll send you mine if you want? It'll be a couple of days because I sent it to the guy responsible with helping me get a job so he could make it more presentable.

What he did say though, if you don't want my help is to try and limit it to one page because the if the employer wants to know anything, he should be able to see it in 20 seconds or less.

On mines I had, My Details (name, address, house number, mobile number, email), Education.. what I did, where I did it, when I did it and what grades I got, Work Experience and all the stuff related to that like what tasks you had to do and stuff, Skills you have and 2 references.

I don't know how to do a cover letter though, I was meant to send one away to a search agency the other day and didn't know what I was doing so I just left it, probably silly to do, but it would have been shit.

Yeah, that's basically what I've just knocked up. It's really shit. The only experience I have is working in a garage for a week, and that was the school's mandatory thing anyway, and I have no references. I am only planning to apply for manual labour esque jobs so hopefuly they can look past that.

are you on the dole as well matty? I'm going to sign on for the first time on Friday. :ph34r:

If you're just starting out work any potential employer would understand that you don't have any employment references, but have you anyone who would be able to give you a character reference? A friend of a parent or someone like that who is in a respected job and can vouch for things like your politeness, punctuality and work ethos?

Yeah, that's basically what I've just knocked up. It's really shit. The only experience I have is working in a garage for a week, and that was the school's mandatory thing anyway, and I have no references. I am only planning to apply for manual labour esque jobs so hopefuly they can look past that.

are you on the dole as well matty? I'm going to sign on for the first time on Friday. :ph34r:

Yeah I've been signed on for a month, I've joined a job club and search agencies to help me find work. I've done some volunteer stuff as well, and have another week in October holidays coaching kids.

Having that experience is better than none, on my CV I have my work experience from school as well, which was working in a special needs unit in a primary school.

Cover letter i think is something pretty crucial. Companies go through many CVS but thwy will no doubt be looking for one that sticks out to the rest, all be it that it may be shite but at least it may have even got looked at compared to most that dont.

Yeah I'm going to get help writing a cover letter on Friday from the guy at the job club.

I was going to print an application for Tesco, you know if they're hiring or not?

Edited by mattydfc

Not heard a thing bud but will ask tomorrow about christmas temps if interested? If an application for Tesco do it online, best way to do it

I'd take feeding ducks at the zoo if it meant I got paid. That's excellent mate, cheers!

Edited by mattydfc

Yeah I'm going to get help writing a cover letter on Friday from the guy at the job club.

Edit it to be specific for the job you are applying for as well.

I was on the dole for a couple of months while I was in temporary casual employment at a call centre (20 hours a month). Got an interview from Poundland and told them I wanted to climb the retail ladder and got the job. biggrin.gif

Pm me some point tomorrow so when i come home i will remember to pm you back to let you know the script

It'll probably be tomorrow night, if that's ok?

Edit it to be specific for the job you are applying for as well.

I was on the dole for a couple of months while I was in temporary casual employment at a call centre (20 hours a month). Got an interview from Poundland and told them I wanted to climb the retail ladder and got the job. biggrin.gif

I'd rather take my duck feeding job than poundland.

One of the vacancy leaflets I was given at the job centre is a picker/packer in the, and I quote, "Adult Entertainment Industry". Not sure whether to apply, could be lulzy but how would you explain your new jobs to your parents. :ph34r:

Any tips once you hand over a CV to a potential employer? I've handed a few CV's in around Dundee and I'm thinking of going back and enquiring into them. I don't know what to say apart from 'did you get my CV?' laugh.gif

There's not much more you can do than that. Maybe just go in, and say you've recently handed in your CV for 'x' vacancy, and you're wondering if anyone has had a look at it. Or just say you're then wondering if there are any relevant vacancies.