Quick Question Thread

Is anyone here good at Chemistry. I'm struggling a bit with calculations (Standard Grade).

How do you calculate the number of moles if you're given a mass?

E.g, 93 g phosphorus.

This is really easy but I can't do it!

I think you'll need to find out the mass of 1 mole of phosphorus then divide 93 by that mass (making sure they're both in grams) and then that'll be how many moles there are.

I think that's it, my standard grade chemistry has all but left me.

I think you'll need to find out the mass of 1 mole of phosphorus then divide 93 by that mass (making sure they're both in grams) and then that'll be how many moles there are.

You're absolutely correct. It's just the opposite of finding the G.F.M (gram formula mass) but you divide instead of multiply.

I manage to grasp all the hard aspects of Chemistry but it's the easy things I struggle with and really have to put my mind to in order to get it right.

I think that's it, my standard grade chemistry has all but left me.

Where would you get a mole at that time of night?

Guest The Phoenix

Where would you get a mole at that time of night?

Moles can be found in most parts of North America, Asia, and Europe, although there are no moles in Ireland.

Yes

Highlight the text you would like to change. Then press the Shift + F3 . It will change between sentence case, all caps, and all lowercase letters. Keep pressing the shortcut key until the font is in the desired case.

otherwise, highlight, format menu, change case. gives all the options.

its a pain in excel as well (=proper(A,1) fyi)

If a right angled triangle has an adjacent of 45 and an opposite of 2, what is the angle between the adjacent and hypotenuse?

On a similar theme, if the adjacent is 45 and the angle between the adjacent and hypotenuse is 1 degree, how long is the opposite?

This is probably straightforward trigonometry, but I'm not good at angles, prefer statistics.

If a right angled triangle has an adjacent of 45 and an opposite of 2, what is the angle between the adjacent and hypotenuse?

On a similar theme, if the adjacent is 45 and the angle between the adjacent and hypotenuse is 1 degree, how long is the opposite?

This is probably straightforward trigonometry, but I'm not good at angles, prefer statistics.

I am totally at a loss at this. My high. school maths was shocking tbh.

*ashamed

Tan(Angle) = opposite/adjacent

Tan(Angle) = 2/45

Angle = Tan-1 2/45

Tan(1) = opposite/45

Opposite = 45 Tan1

Don't have a calculator so you will have to work it out but I think that's how you do it. Someone can correct me if not.

Edited by GingerSaint

tan x = opposite/adjacent = 2/45

x = tan-1(2/45)

tan 1o = opposite/45

opposite = 45 tan 1o

Sin(Angle) = opposite/adjacent

Sin(Angle) = 22.5

Angle = Sin-1 22.5

Sin(1) = opposite/45

Opposite = 45 Sin1

Don't have a calculator so you will have to work it out but I think that's how you do it. Someone can correct me if not.

sin = opposite/hypotenuse

You can work out the angles of a triangle using SOH CAH TOA

Sin is Opposite over Hypotenuse

Cos is Adjacent over Hypotenuse

Tan is Opposite over Adjacent