Quick Question Thread

Anyone know how to work out Probability? Its probably pretty basic but I've got a tonne of homework the night and suffering from a pure brain block. I'll just write one question. After thats been explained to me I'll be able to get the rest.

From past results it its known that approximately 20% of items from a production line are defective. If 2 items are taken at random from the production line find the probability that:

a. neither are defective

b. both are defective

c. only one item is defective

Probability both are defective is the product of probabilities that one is defective, because:

When you take the first product out, it has a 1 in 5 chance of being defective. When you pick out the 2nd one, only one in five of something that happened 1 in 5 times can produce 2 defective products

i.e. P(b) = 0.2 x 0.2 = 0.04

By the same logic, if probability that one is defective is 0.2, probability that one is not defective is 0.8. Therefore probability that neither are defective is the product of the probability of the individual items not being defective.

i.e. P(a)=0.8 x 0.8 = 0.64

As for c, the sum of probabilities must equal 1. Since there are only 3 possible outcomes as we aren't discriminating which item must be defective (both defective, neither defective, one defective and the other not) the probability for c is obtained simply by subtracting the other two probabilities from 1.

i.e. P© = 1-0.68 = 0.32

Hm Revenue, does anybody work for them on here or know enough about it? Need some personal advice, was looking for that job list we use to have on here which was very handy but it has gone :(

I used to and still know a fair bit. What's up? PM if you want to.

Found a pack of Ferrero Rocher that is 4 months out of date. Eat or bin?

Definitely eat. At work we've been eating our way through a pallet (yes a pallet) of Ferrero Rocher extra stock that's about 6 months out of date. We're all fine, no one has keeled over yet.....

Does anyone know how to work megatrain, and how to actually get a decent deal? There seems to be nothing for Glasgow-London sad.gif

I think megatrain runs generally from London to places like Sheffield. You might then have to get a connection from there.

Definitely eat. At work we've been eating our way through a pallet (yes a pallet) of Ferrero Rocher extra stock that's about 6 months out of date. We're all fine, no one has keeled over yet.....

I can confirm they were amazing. Dark chocolate and coconut were a bit different.

I'm going to see the Manics on Saturday night and one of my mates is having to get the last train home (the rest of us are staying in Edinburgh).

Does anyone know roughly what time concerts at the Corn Exchange finish? He'll have to be in the city for about 23:25 at the latest I think.

I know that each concert will be different but a rough idea would be great, thanks.

I'm going to see the Manics on Saturday night and one of my mates is having to get the last train home (the rest of us are staying in Edinburgh).

Does anyone know roughly what time concerts at the Corn Exchange finish? He'll have to be in the city for about 23:25 at the latest I think.

I know that each concert will be different but a rough idea would be great, thanks.

is there not a noise pollution law that all concerts finish before 11pm?

(obviously things like hogmany etc are exempt)