Quick Question Thread

46 minutes ago, scottsdad said:

A colleague of mine is retiring and, in my days off I was "volunteered" to organise his leaving stuff.

So, for a collection I was thinking of using an online thing so folk could chip in a few bob. But I've never done this before - so, my question(s):

What's a good platform to use?

How does the retiree get the money out of it?

Cheers

Is it the Prof? 

If so I'd like to chip in a few quid for his amazing efforts the last couple years.

On 05/06/2023 at 02:16, SlipperyP said:

Swans can break your arm, so some short arse said to me before, same with seagulls. I've never had the problem, they're just wee and easily grabbed to be thrown away like wet hankie.

Aye, it's bollocks. I've been bitten by many a swan, and it's never stopped me. A peck from a parrot is more painful.

53 minutes ago, scottsdad said:

A colleague of mine is retiring and, in my days off I was "volunteered" to organise his leaving stuff.

So, for a collection I was thinking of using an online thing so folk could chip in a few bob. But I've never done this before - so, my question(s):

Cheers

I've worked at more than one business where HR organised collections for leaving staff, and the money never made it to the recipients.

You're clearly far too nice a person!

Leaving collections are a PITA.

I remember one sheet came round the office with a list of everybody's name - you were supposed to put the cash in the envelope then fill in the amount you'd contributed. I felt it was nobody's business how much I'd put in so I just put the cash in and left the space blank. The guy who was organising the collection came back to me and pointed out that I hadn't filled that bit in. I explained why.

"But how will I know if the money is right?" he asked.

I replied, "And what are you going to do if it isn't? Go round everybody and ask them if they're sure they put in the amount they said they did?"

He had no answer to that.

1 hour ago, scottsdad said:

Cheers

depending on what is raised you either give him the dosh or buy a bottle of whiskey or something. 

here's my contribution:

500quid.jpg.5b478dfa8ac002f017c17410f1f7b81e.jpg

1 hour ago, BTFD said:

@Melanius Mullarkay - what would happen to concrete if you poured it into an active volcano? My son thinks it would explode; I'm going with melt, burn, and be absorbed into the mass.

Asking for a mate (ES Blofeld).

Sorry to steal, but neither: https://www.iflscience.com/yes-you-can-plug-a-volcano-with-concrete-if-you-want-to-make-things-far-far-worse-67718#

6 hours ago, BTFD said:

@Melanius Mullarkay - what would happen to concrete if you poured it into an active volcano? My son thinks it would explode; I'm going with melt, burn, and be absorbed into the mass.

Asking for a mate (ES Blofeld).

Given the state of the UK ready mix supply chain these days, I’d probably put your order in now if your are planning to do this in about 10 years time.

2 hours ago, Melanius Mullarkay said:

Given the state of the UK ready mix supply chain these days, I’d probably put your order in now if your are planning to do this in about 10 years time.

Sakes. No wonder the UK based Super Villian industry is in such a shambles. Can't even get a decent base of operations constructed for 10 years? Fucking Brexit!

11 minutes ago, Swarley said:

Sakes. No wonder the UK based Super Villian industry is in such a shambles. Can't even get a decent base of operations constructed for 10 years? Fucking Brexit!

Plus it all needs to be low carbon concrete these days. Fucking tree huggers.

1 hour ago, Melanius Mullarkay said:

Next they'll be banning the Mob from disposing of dead bodies in the concrete. Games gone imho. 

1 hour ago, Melanius Mullarkay said:

I supervised a dissertation student a couple of years ago who was looking at "green concrete" and trying to work out why it wasn't more widely used in construction. 

Because it isn't up to much, was the answer.

4 minutes ago, scottsdad said:

I supervised a dissertation student a couple of years ago who was looking at "green concrete" and trying to work out why it wasn't more widely used in construction. 

Because it isn't up to much, was the answer.

Plus why the f**k would you want to build a load of green buildings? It would limit your decor options.

51 minutes ago, Richey Edwards said:

Plus why the f**k would you want to build a load of green buildings? It would limit your decor options.

Would go nicely with the avocado bathroom suite. Very de rigueur.