Quick Question Thread

30 minutes ago, The_Kincardine said:

Finzean does fit with the false 'z' or 'yogh'  model.  Just down the south Deeside road from Strawn Strachan which is just fucking weird.

There's a few places in Scotland where you don't have a clue how they're pronounced until you hear a local say it...there's a wee village out the arse end of Dumfries called Torthorwald which I was a bit surprised to find was pronounced something along the lines of T'thurrol like a minor female Vulcan character in Star Trek.

The name Menzies is a weird one...used to go out with a girl with the surname, and she code-switched the two pronunciations depending on who she was with...used "Mingiss" when speaking to her (posh) family, but "Men-zees" in everyday life because she claimed it was a pain in the arse to have to spell it out to every second person.

1 hour ago, Hillonearth said:

There's a few places in Scotland where you don't have a clue how they're pronounced until you hear a local say it...there's a wee village out the arse end of Dumfries called Torthorwald which I was a bit surprised to find was pronounced something along the lines of T'thurrol like a minor female Vulcan character in Star Trek.

The name Menzies is a weird one...used to go out with a girl with the surname, and she code-switched the two pronunciations depending on who she was with...used "Mingiss" when speaking to her (posh) family, but "Men-zees" in everyday life because she claimed it was a pain in the arse to have to spell it out to every second person.

Place names are impossible to work out.  I'm heading to Southwark tomorrow and my train will get into Marylebone...

2 hours ago, GordonD said:

The former Lib-Dem leader Menzies Campbell was known as 'Ming' for short.

Big Ming was a Cowden hero and Legend. He used to go to the Cowdenbeath  Palais  de Danse on a Saturday night (the Pally, alas no more).

Edited by Blue Brazil Forever
Addition

I'd always pronounced John Menzies as men-zees until I learned that ming-iss was the correct pronunciation. That failed badly when I was trying to chat up a girl whilst at Uni and pronounced her name ming-iss. She was not very amused and corrected me that it was pronounced men-zees.

2 hours ago, The_Kincardine said:

Place names are impossible to work out.  I'm heading to Southwark tomorrow and my train will get into Marylebone...

It’s far from a local issue too…around here we have:

Mexia - Pronounced “Meh-hay-a”

Natchitoches - “Knack-e-tish”

Of course, we also have fun stuff like “Bald Knob, Arkansas”, “Intercourse, Pennsylvania”, and “French Lick, Indiana”.

3 hours ago, The_Kincardine said:

Place names are impossible to work out.  I'm heading to Southwark tomorrow and my train will get into Marylebone.

We have a suburb in Adelaide called Southwark and until a few years ago a Southwark Bitter beer, commonly referred to as the green death after the colour of the label and the fact it was utter pish. They changed the label colour to dark blue, it was still pish. Anyway I’ve no idea how the London suburb is pronounced but it’s pronounced Suthick here. It’s also quite funny how a lot of Aussies refer to Wimbledon as Wimbleton.

58 minutes ago, Eednud said:

We have a suburb in Adelaide called Southwark and until a few years ago a Southwark Bitter beer, commonly referred to as the green death after the colour of the label and the fact it was utter pish. They changed the label colour to dark blue, it was still pish. Anyway I’ve no idea how the London suburb is pronounced but it’s pronounced Suthick here. It’s also quite funny how a lot of Aussies refer to Wimbledon as Wimbleton.

Don't get me started on how they pronounce "maroon"! 

11 minutes ago, Blue Brazil Forever said:

How about Milngavie, another place where the pronunciation is completely at variance with the spelling.

I think it's like Leachkin in Inverness, pronounced Larkin, where the pronunciation has stuck with the old Gaelic name.

2 hours ago, Fullerene said:

I wonder how many think Scone Palace is probably some massive eatery where you can get every kind of scone you can imagine.

that's a fantastic idea for a business!!