Quick Question Thread

15 minutes ago, hk blues said:

That's what I though but a check of the Passport Twitter suggests around 20 days only.

Maybe I read the wrong thing though, or maybe it was an old page?

scottsdad should send his passport application to Liz Truss or Kamikaze Kwarteng as apparently they're very good at turning things around within 24 hrs.

17 minutes ago, hk blues said:

That's what I though but a check of the Passport Twitter suggests around 20 days only.

Maybe I read the wrong thing though, or maybe it was an old page?

Dunno, maybe Twitter has the current actual figures they're achieving, rather than the panicky "help, we're fucking swamped since Brexit and getting no extra resources" figure. Twenty days certainly sounds more reasonable.

23 minutes ago, scottsdad said:

thanks @hk blues and @BFTD

Even if I applied tomorrow, it would be touch and go if it came in on time. Quite frankly I am looking for an excuse to get out of it, and this seems as good a one as any.

You'll get nowhere with that attitude. The Prof certainly wouldn't allow this opportunity to go to waste.

He'd work to engineer a passport issue that would require a couple of weeks' stay at a nearby resort while it was worked out. Bit of ambition, man.

A certain British telecom company, who I have just set up a new contract with yesterday evening, have sent the documentation to a namesake of mine thanks to an email typo on their side (residual in their system from years ago, apparently), which is different to the correct one seen in the current contact details section of my online portal. 

The perplexed namesake individual has kindly phoned me up to highlight their balls-up, but also to inform me that he has been given my:  Name, home phone number (hence the direct call), bank account name, last four digits of account number, full sort code, direct debit ref, internet account number & ID, details of my order and the monthly charges.  The emails he's forwarded me confirm all this.

How many million am I to sue for?  Have you ever had your namesake phone you out of the blue?

Eta: turns out that Gmail has a strange feature whereby if you have the email johnsmith@gmail.com, any email sent to john.smith@ or jo.hn.sm.ith@ will land up in your johnsmith@ inbox. 

Edited by Hedgecutter

55 minutes ago, Hedgecutter said:

The perplexed namesake individual has kindly phoned me up to highlight their balls-up, but also to inform me that he has been given my:  Name, home phone number (hence the direct call), bank account name, last four digits of account number, full sort code, direct debit ref, internet account number & ID, details of my order and the monthly charges.  The emails he's forwarded me confirm all this.

How many million am I to sue for?  Have you ever had your namesake phone you out of the blue?

200w.gif.ef02d955557126c43bda94ef0a11c659.gif

Edited by Florentine_Pogen

19 minutes ago, Hedgecutter said:

Eta: turns out that Gmail has a strange feature whereby if you have the email johnsmith@gmail.com, any email sent to john.smith@ or jo.hn.sm.ith@ will land up in your johnsmith@ inbox. 

That's right - but will anyone have the incorrectly "dotted" email address anyway?  I thought not.

4 minutes ago, hk blues said:

That's right - but will anyone have the incorrectly "dotted" email address anyway?  I thought not.

That bit was more of a 'fun fact' add-on.

My particular example was akin to john.smith@ being incorrectly entered as jon.smith@, which ultimately ended up in the inbox of jonsmith@, despite john.smith@ being on my details page.

Periodically, I get emails addressed to a namesake who is in America.  Nothing like the personal details @Hedgecutter has encountered, but i'm invited to join the NFL fantasy league and notified of golf outings, etc, every couple of months.  I delete them immediately, despite wanting sometimes to throw some spanners and devilment into the works.  

Just now, hearthammer said:

Periodically, I get emails addressed to a namesake who is in America.  Nothing like the personal details @Hedgecutter has encountered, but i'm invited to join the NFL fantasy league and notified of golf outings, etc, every couple of months.  I delete them immediately, despite wanting sometimes to throw some spanners and devilment into the works.  

I think Hedgecutter has got off lightly t.b.h.

I also had a namesake at uni (in the same building, but different dept) which resulted in some weird and wonderful emails coming in to one of the professors there.   After a while I got fed up responding and ignored people who couldn't be arsed with the fine details.

All because of john.smith@life.ac.uk  vs  j.smith@life.ac.uk

1 minute ago, Hedgecutter said:

I also had a namesake at uni (in the same building, but different dept) which resulted in some weird and wonderful emails coming in to one of the professors there.   After a while I got fed up responding and ignored people who couldn't be arsed with the fine details.

I blame your parents for giving you such a common name! 

Just now, Hedgecutter said:

Could have had more fun with that. Reply to everything with "that's all well and good, but I hear you'll be handed your jotters soon anyway", and change the reply address to the intended recipient's email. See how long it takes them to work out what's going on.

We had the opposite problem at my last work. IT had a completely random schema for setting up email addresses, so you could be j.smith@useless.com, johnsmith@useless.com, john.smith@useless.com, johnexcelsiorsmith@useless.com, or possibly something else depending on who was creating the accounts that day. They also had the mail server configured so that messages sent to non-existent accounts would be delivered to a mailbox that nobody in IT ever checked, so everybody quite regularly didn't receive messages because the sender would assume the recipient's address was laid out the same as theirs, and most employees were too IT-illiterate to use the address book.

It resulted in a legendarily furious email from a board member being sent out across the organisation reminding everyone that FAILURE TO RESPOND TO EMAILS was GROUNDS for DISCIPLINARY ACTION!!!

It can be quite useful for creating multiple accounts on the same website.

1 hour ago, Hedgecutter said:

A certain British telecom company, who I have just set up a new contract with yesterday evening, have sent the documentation to a namesake of mine thanks to an email typo on their side (residual in their system from years ago, apparently), which is different to the correct one seen in the current contact details section of my online portal. 

So, the stalker becomes the prey eh.

43 minutes ago, Hedgecutter said:

A few years back we had 2 students with the same name (first, middle and last), same spelling on the exact same course.