Quick Question Thread

1 minute ago, 19QOS19 said:
On 22/05/2022 at 00:30, The_Kincardine said:
Poaching eggs by wrapping them in clingfilm then dropping them in boiling water is a game changer.  Means you never have to do the 'swirl the water with a drop of vinegar' shite again.
BUT anyone who thinks that poached eggs go with avocado is a wrong 'un.

How do you do that? Put the clingfilm in a bowl then crack the egg into it?

Seen this on masterchef last night (recorded), they had wee cling film bags of eggs sitting waiting to go into the pot.

14 hours ago, Hedgecutter said:

Watching Shearer and Wright half-jokingly slag off strikers for the golden boot winner 'only' scoring twenty something goals, would it be fair to say that it would have been far easier to bang in goals in their day when Premiership defences would have been mostly made up of second rate English defenders rather than the plethora of decent international-level players that there is just now?

I remember people in the late Nineties/early Aughts saying that people like Ian Rush only scored so many goals because defences were shite in the Seventies & Eighties.

I can also remember old farts in the Eighties saying that the game was so much better in the Fifties because teams weren't so concerned with defending and there were a lot more goals.

I'll bet @Granny Danger remembers when Cleopatra first Set her defence up with two at the back instead of one, and the young Phoenicians sniffed about how easy it must have been to score back in Ptolemy's day.

The general theme seems to be that everyone thinks the game is worse now than when they were a kid, and it was all fresh, exciting, and new. I'm not sure any of us have ever been right.

Edit: P&B's fascination with eggs never fails to amuse.

Spoiler

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTurLm5Ddk1svnYlr7tfio

Edited by BFTD

Do the eggheads get paid extra when they beat the contestants?
See also The Chasers. If someone has earned 75k by themselves and got 18 questions right at the end I wouldn't have the heart to beat them - unless they offered me 10% of the total in which case I'd be ruthless [emoji38]

I suppose they may well keep count of their victories behind closed doors and have their own personal pride to play for which is probably more important to them than cash incentives.

See also The Chasers. If someone has earned 75k by themselves and got 18 questions right at the end I wouldn't have the heart to beat them - unless they offered me 10% of the total in which case I'd be ruthless emoji38.png

I suppose they may well keep count of their victories behind closed doors and have their own personal pride to play for which is probably more important to them than cash incentives.

They're scum. They're probably on decent wages and they're celebrating denying some poor contestants thousands of pounds. 

They're scum. They're probably on decent wages and they're celebrating denying some poor contestants thousands of pounds. 
It wouldn't be much of a show if they let them win tbf.

2 minutes ago, Albus Bulbasaur said:

It wouldn't be much of a show if they let them win tbf.

That's true of course. 

Perhaps on the other side the eggheads get whipped and beaten off screen by the producers and executives if they don't get all the questions right. 

17 minutes ago, Albus Bulbasaur said:

I've always thought that. I can just imagine Kevin going home at the end of the day.

"How was work, dear?"
"Oh, we had a great time. The contestants were on to win £25,000 and we pretended we didn't know the date of the Fourth Peloponnesian War; then just as they were getting their hopes up we hit them with the right answer. You should have seen their faces!"

I've always thought that. I can just imagine Kevin going home at the end of the day.
"How was work, dear?"
"Oh, we had a great time. The contestants were on to win £25,000 and we pretended we didn't know the date of the Fourth Peloponnesian War; then just as they were getting their hopes up we hit them with the right answer. You should have seen their faces!"

If one of them took the minus offer I'd definitely be delighted beating them.

What's going on with footballers socks? I've seen them cut off at the ankle and different socks underneath and now watching Inverness v st Johnstone and some have cut circles out at the calf. Are socks going through some sort of Darwinian change I don't know about are socks now not fit for purpose?

What's going on with footballers socks? I've seen them cut off at the ankle and different socks underneath and now watching Inverness v st Johnstone and some have cut circles out at the calf. Are socks going through some sort of Darwinian change I don't know about are socks now not fit for purpose?
Seen that, thought his dug had got a hold of them in the changing room.

13 minutes ago, Empty It said:
16 minutes ago, Oystercatcher said:

Seen that, thought his dug had got a hold of them in the changing room.

I think it was a European game and some players had cut off the foot part of the sock then used tape to stick them to their own sock.

Footballers are fannies

55 minutes ago, Oystercatcher said:

AFAIK it's that they prefer to wear their own socks, but those might not be in team colours, so they cut the foot off the team socks so that their boots fit, then wear the above ankle bit of the team sock so that they conform to team colours.

No idea what cutting a circle at the calf is about though.

Dan Pybus is the first player I noticed doing this. I assumed it was some kind of ventilation reason. But then I don't understand why they would just roll their socks further down.

1 hour ago, Oystercatcher said:

Is it not to reduce  pressure on the calfs ,seen  summit about it on tv sounded like shite but . 

Edited by Arthur daley