Quick Question Thread

17 hours ago, Bairnardo said:

In the high winds last year my whirlygig ripped its concrete base out the grass. Now if you put the whirlygig into the base it won't stand up, obviously it's sort of loosened its base off in the grass and now can't stand up to any movement.

Is there any way to shore.it up or do I have to buy a new insert think and concrete it into a new hole?

Get a retractable one much better imo

2 hours ago, Hedgecutter said:

That's pretty cruel.  Instead, if you keep it alive, then the constant wriggling around results in grooves forming, which helps stop the base turning.  There should be enough worms in the soil to keep the hedgehog going.

Reported to Chris Peckham.

20 hours ago, Bairnardo said:

In the high winds last year my whirlygig ripped its concrete base out the grass. Now if you put the whirlygig into the base it won't stand up, obviously it's sort of loosened its base off in the grass and now can't stand up to any movement.

Is there any way to shore.it up or do I have to buy a new insert think and concrete it into a new hole?

Say you're thinking about how to fix it properly and will do it next week.

3 minutes ago, HeWhoWalksBehindTheRows said:

What's the best way to get dealership stickers off a car window? Sure I mind reading on here to use vinegar or wd40?

Hairdryer

New whirligig required, but tbqhwy concreting it in isnt needed unless you live on a peat bog.
As long as you dont have tree roots close under the grass you should be able to hammer the sleeve in.
If you start off with a long screwdriver to poke down and check for roots, then make the hole a bit bigger with "that iron bar you have kept just in case".
When you are ready to put the metal sleeve into the grass, get a bit of 2 x 4 wood to protect the top and another fool person to hold the wood while you skelp it with a sledgehammer.
We take the whirlygig out and stick it in the corner when not in use - no issues with high winds and also make your lawn area look a bit nicer.
Good luck getting the old concrete out btw.................

Greenied for 'that iron bar you have kept just in case".

I'm not really one for drinking beer at home, but I had a look at the prices in Tesco today. Drygate and Brewdog offerings were more than twice as expensive as those from the likes of Orkney and Inveralmond. Why on earth would anyone pay so much for them?

Sort of a quick question. 

Was watching a quiz show on Netflix last night called “Bullsh*t!” (The name is accurate). It reminded me of an old British quiz show that I was trying to describe to my wife but I couldn’t remember the name of or really anything about it. There was a panel of, I think, three people listed by their occupation, and if a contestant didn’t know the answer they could bargain with the three panelists to get the right answer for a share of the cash. 

“Hairdresser?”

”Correct answer for £50”

”Deal for £50”

I’m thinking it was 1990s and probably daytime. Anyone? It’s driving me mad. 

On 06/04/2022 at 20:56, Miguel Sanchez said:

I was at a gig at the weekend. One of the songs played before any bands came on was either a cover or a heavily-sampled version of Born Slippy by Underworld. Think not as heavy on the electric drum beats part but with an alternative/indie rock band kind of sound playing it. I can't remember if the regular lyrics were being sung or other ones, but I think it was different words. I've looked around the internet and can't find anything even really in this genre/style, never mind one that sounds like what I heard.

Possibly more a question for the Aberdeen thread, but what's a good snack to feed to a sheep?

Went to feed some swans yesterday, who seem to love bread, and had some carrots for a horse, but I got ambushed by a ram who wasn't keen on the latter. He loved the bread, though, but I've no idea if that's good for them and might as well be prepared if it happens again.

I know bread's not great for birds either BTW, but I've tried taking a variety of seeds, nuts, and other shite for the swans and they don't touch it. They will, however, mug a small child for a sandwich. One of the arseholes started pecking me on the head yesterday for having the cheek to run out  :rolleyes:

15 minutes ago, BFTD said:

Possibly more a question for the Aberdeen thread, but what's a good snack to feed to a sheep?

Went to feed some swans yesterday, who seem to love bread, and had some carrots for a horse, but I got ambushed by a ram who wasn't keen on the latter. He loved the bread, though, but I've no idea if that's good for them and might as well be prepared if it happens again.

I know bread's not great for birds either BTW, but I've tried taking a variety of seeds, nuts, and other shite for the swans and they don't touch it. They will, however, mug a small child for a sandwich. One of the arseholes started pecking me on the head yesterday for having the cheek to run out  :rolleyes:

They like grass.  HTH