Quick Question Thread

On 18/04/2022 at 00:25, tamthebam said:

Why do the supermarkets clear Easter Eggs as soon as Easter Sunday comes? I think they must return them to the manufacturers who reuse the chocolate for selection boxes. 

Last delivery of Easter Eggs is usually the Wednesday and thats just depots clearing out what they have. Today is when we slash the prices right down to get rid of what shite is left and we get ready for usually a baby event and then Summer event. First actual Easter Eggs come in building around end of January. Easter stuff first comes in third week of December.

Right now I'm looking at sales of last years Halloween Shite. 

If I work a standard 5 x 8h shift pattern (with reasonable flexi time given), can my employer force me to stay past my finish time.on a given day? 

For example, I was on a 10-6 today and was told I had to stay later to clear the phone lines. This was obligotary and not by choice and I didnt finish until quarter to 7. No extra pay for this albeit the 45 mins will go on my flexi sheet and can be claimed back down the line. 

Can they actually enforce this over and above contracted hours?

They can't force you to stay, that would be kidnapping. If you're in a union, ask them, if not join one, and then ask them. Or check your contract, if there's flexi time it might work both ways. I'm not current with general workers rights and protections, especially since Brexit and whatever's happened to the working time directive, but if you got told to work beyond your scheduled hours without reasonable notice and you weren't given a choice, that would look like unfair working practices to me. Worker's rights have gone to shit though since union membership has fallen away along with their legal protections.

5 hours ago, SlipperyP said:

Thanks, although I realistically need ones with straps already attached as the normal plastic clips are flimsy, unreliable and have already broken on the box I currently have strapped up (used to transport a rather pricey bit of kit).

Eta: just clocked that I could get the normal box and strap it up with detached strapping buckles.

Edited by Hedgecutter

12 hours ago, The Hurricane said:

If I work a standard 5 x 8h shift pattern (with reasonable flexi time given), can my employer force me to stay past my finish time.on a given day? 

For example, I was on a 10-6 today and was told I had to stay later to clear the phone lines. This was obligotary and not by choice and I didnt finish until quarter to 7. No extra pay for this albeit the 45 mins will go on my flexi sheet and can be claimed back down the line. 

It's a bit confusing as you say 5x8 hrs then add in you have reasonable flexi time so they're a bit contradictory.  Normally, any additional hours would have to be agreed but it all depends how the contract details the flexi time element.  

24 minutes ago, Hedgecutter said:

Thanks, although I realistically need ones with straps already attached as the normal plastic clips are flimsy, unreliable and have already broken on the box I currently have strapped up (used to transport a rather pricey bit of kit).

Eta: just clocked that I could get the normal box and strap it up with detached strapping buckles.

Looks like something @mathematicsstores bodies in so he can probably help.

13 hours ago, The Hurricane said:

When I worked the checkouts at a supermarket as a teenager, a few times they would be closing the store and I was 2 minutes from the end of my shift, and someone would show up with a trolley piled high. I often worked the extra 10 minutes serving them. No flexi, no overtime and no thanks. 

Somerfield - I do not mourn its passing. 

2 hours ago, Bairnardo said:

Was just sorting passports for my kids there. Wasn't until I was writing the envelopes to send there documents in that I realised they are both being sent to totally different passport offices. What's the craic with that?

Its that kind of decentralisation that you just don't get with any other government.

2 hours ago, Bairnardo said:

Was just sorting passports for my kids there. Wasn't until I was writing the envelopes to send there documents in that I realised they are both being sent to totally different passport offices. What's the craic with that?

The government knows something you seem to be unaware of.  One of the kids isn't actually yours so went to his real dads local passport office.

3 hours ago, KingRocketman II said:

within the context of time travel, is a letter an effective form of communication? 

BTTF2, Doc sends a letter from 1885 to Marty in 1955. However in that timeline in which the letter exists, Doc would have died before Marty received it in 1955.....

Not being a time traveller myself, I can't say for certain but I can't think of any alternative in 1885.

IIRC, he sent the letter as soon as he arrived in 1885 but was shot a week later.  Even if he had not been shot, is it likely he would still be around 70 years later?

13 minutes ago, Left Back said:

The government knows something you seem to be unaware of.  One of the kids isn't actually yours so went to his real dads local passport office.

If they know that already, why haven't they got the CSA involved and got that Fife twat @Shandon Par sending me funds?