Quick Question Thread

9 hours ago, Welly boy said:

Hoping to take the kids to  Edinburgh dungeons in the school hols the youngest one is 7 so just wondering is she old enough to get in?

We definitely took my son and his cousins around that age. Think "child" is 5-15 yo.

Its fine for that age, most think the "blood n guts" is just a bit of a laugh !!

Never been to the Dungeon myself but used to drink in the pub across the road. One night there was a corporate event on that had to be evacuated when the fire alarm went off. Turned out to be nothing serious but we were pissing ourselves at the sight of all these people in evening dress standing in the street while the firemen got tore into the vol-au-vents...

40 minutes ago, GordonD said:

Never been to the Dungeon myself but used to drink in the pub across the road. One night there was a corporate event on that had to be evacuated when the fire alarm went off. Turned out to be nothing serious but we were pissing ourselves at the sight of all these people in evening dress standing in the street while the firemen got tore into the vol-au-vents...

Had a weird experience in there years back...three or four of us had gone over for a gig and had decided to make a day of it...we had been drinking in what perhaps was the same boozer on the other side of the street. Somebody suggested we go over, so we went in...maybe ten minutes in you could see movement behind some of the exhibits, and it was pretty obvious that part of the deal was at some point somebody would leap out and give you a jump scare.

Eventually happened - guy dressed like a medieval monk jumped out from behind a pillar or something:

"Bwwwaaahhaahhaa - f**k, what are YOU doing here?"

Turned out the mad monk was a guy I vaguely knew from over there.

Edited by Hillonearth

When it comes to the Edinburgh Dungeon, ending up being taking around as part of a theatrical play isn't so bad if you're prepared for it in advance.

Fairly sure I said this in PTTGOYN recently, but I'm fairly sure that the woman claiming to be 'Mary King' was some sort of drama student, not actually the former resident.

1 hour ago, Hedgecutter said:

When it comes to the Edinburgh Dungeon, ending up being taking around as part of a theatrical play isn't so bad if you're prepared for it in advance.

Fairly sure I said this in PTTGOYN recently, but I'm fairly sure that the woman claiming to be 'Mary King' was some sort of drama student, not actually the former resident.

FACT: Mary King was married to Juan and her maiden name was Hinge. 

Had a scheduled visit from British Gas this afternoon to service my boiler.  They were supposed to be here before 6.  Got a text saying they may be slightly late.  No bother, I'm here anyway.

About 6:15 the boy phones and asks if I have LPG.  I say yes and he says he's not qualified to service LPG boilers.  Then says he'll be able to get a different engineer out tomorrow as long as I'm in (which I am).

I'm sceptical here.  Is there really a difference between an LPG and normal gas boiler or is this c**t just at it and wanted to get home as he was running late?

I'm also sceptical someone will chip up tomorrow.  I reckon the only way that will happen is if this guy was at it and it'll actually be him that rocks up tomorrow.

2 minutes ago, Left Back said:

Had a scheduled visit from British Gas this afternoon to service my boiler.  They were supposed to be here before 6.  Got a text saying they may be slightly late.  No bother, I'm here anyway.

About 6:15 the boy phones and asks if I have LPG.  I say yes and he says he's not qualified to service LPG boilers.  Then says he'll be able to get a different engineer out tomorrow as long as I'm in (which I am).

I'm sceptical here.  Is there really a difference between an LPG and normal gas boiler or is this c**t just at it and wanted to get home as he was running late?

I'm also sceptical someone will chip up tomorrow.  I reckon the only way that will happen is if this guy was at it and it'll actually be him that rocks up tomorrow.

Have you got boiler cover or such with them? If youre able see if you can leave those treacherous b*****d's who were the OG P&O also a local firm won't f**k you about like that.

1 minute ago, 101 said:

Have you got boiler cover or such with them? If youre able see if you can leave those treacherous b*****d's who were the OG P&O also a local firm won't f**k you about like that.

Yeah.  Boiler cover along with electric and plumbing etc.

5 minutes ago, Left Back said:

You need different training/accreditation for LPG work, this includes an upgrade from Natural Gas to LPG in gas safety and the maintenance of the various appliances.

The main difference is the pressure supplying NG and LPG appliances

9 minutes ago, Zen Archer (Raconteur) said:

You need different training/accreditation for LPG work, this includes an upgrade from Natural Gas to LPG in gas safety and the maintenance of the various appliances.

The main difference is the pressure supplying NG and LPG appliances

Cheers.  So the chances of someone rocking up tomorrow are almost nil.  Fuds have already knocked the appointment back twice.

Cheers.  So the chances of someone rocking up tomorrow are almost nil.  Fuds have already knocked the appointment back twice.
My gas boiler service kept getting cancelled so it never got done one year, called up to complain and got £65 for the missed service and £30 for the inconvenience paid into my bank.

1 hour ago, UsedToGoToCentralPark said:
3 hours ago, Left Back said:

My gas boiler service kept getting cancelled so it never got done one year, called up to complain and got £65 for the missed service and £30 for the inconvenience paid into my bank.

Identical scenario, I got a free year.

On 28/03/2022 at 23:31, alta-pete said:

One for the joiners/flooring experts/ maybe even @Shandon Par as a wild card. 

Moving house, getting new engineered oak boards down, similar to what was put down in the the current house before I got here. (Why move?! I ken!!!) 

I was always told boards should be laid across the direction of traffic (as we currently have on the pic below) but, to a man (and Mrs a-p) , everyone tells me that I’m wrong and they should in fact be laid lengthways. 

Is this just the flooring guys looking for an easy life or am I genuinely operating at 90° from reality? 

3F1642C6-2938-4F4A-947D-4630A6A0E106.jpeg

Just to put everyone’s mind at rest after my self-identifying stupidity, the boards were laid lengthways, everyone let out a huge sigh of relief and I am happy to have been proven an idiot. A 1 in 50 year occurrence. 😉

CBBAD870-9015-4720-BF65-249299399836.jpeg

2 minutes ago, alta-pete said:

Just to put everyone’s mind at rest after my self-identifying stupidity, the boards were laid lengthways, everyone let out a huge sigh of relief and I am happy to have been proven an idiot. A 1 in 50 year occurrence. 😉

That hallway looks wider and lighter.  Would have been better with the boards the other way imo.

3 minutes ago, alta-pete said:

I am happy to have been proven an idiot. A 1 in 50 year occurrence. 😉

I'm not too sure about that, telling the Spanish authorities that you tested Covid positive 13 days before you were due to go on a family holiday instead of pretending it was 15 and not mentioning it, after a negative test and you were clear, was pretty close. :whistle

5 hours ago, alta-pete said:

That looks better.

One or two are the wrong way round but hopefully nobody will notice.

16 hours ago, UsedToGoToCentralPark said:
19 hours ago, Left Back said:

15 hours ago, Boghead ranter said:

Identical scenario, I got a free year.

They phoned me up this afternoon to reschedule the appointment for May.  You've inspired me to stick in a complaint to see if I can get a freebie out of it.