Quick Question Thread

6 hours ago, PWL said:

Son has asked for a Scotland home top for Xmas (changed days indeed).

JD still have the current one for £65 notes even though it was launched in Nov 19. I'm presuming a new design is due but can't find anything on Google. 

Anyone know if a new launch is imminent?  

Sell you mine for 50. He'll grow into it 

3 hours ago, Melanius Mullarkay said:

I need to meet one of my sisters in Brechin on Saturday. As I’ve probably been to Brechin only 3 times in my life, where can she take me for something to eat?

Its shite for food. Go to Edzell or Montrose.

If she is paying maybe the Stables for a bar lunch.

When I worked in Brechin I spent most of my wages in the Auld Bakehouse. If its your shout go there for a bridie and a coffee.

Edited by invergowrie arab

I'm naw sure how this sorta stuff works so apologies if I'm using the wrong terms and that. But I need something for uni work. Namely the court roll (or minutes of the court or whatever ye call it) for the original criminal trial of David Gilroy in the murder of Suzanne Pilley. I'm on the Scottish Courts website and can only find the appeal (clicky)

Am I missing something obvious here?

7 hours ago, AsimButtHitsASix said:

I'm naw sure how this sorta stuff works so apologies if I'm using the wrong terms and that. But I need something for uni work. Namely the court roll (or minutes of the court or whatever ye call it) for the original criminal trial of David Gilroy in the murder of Suzanne Pilley. I'm on the Scottish Courts website and can only find the appeal (clicky)

As far as I'm aware, the Scotcourts site only contains details of appeal cases (and doesn't even list them all). First instance cases aren't listed.

You'll need to rely on newspaper reports or wiki.

Edited to add: would this be of any use? https://murderpedia.org/male.G/g/gilroy-david.htm

Edited by lichtgilphead

8 hours ago, AsimButtHitsASix said:

You're not likely to get a copy of court minutes, even under GDPR, and you'd have to probably prove a connection to the case e.g. You were a victim of a crime. As you would be dealing with a High Court case in this instance you may even have to satisfy a High Court Judge as to the reason why you should see them. 

Newspaper reports are the best bet as mentioned. The appeal report might also be worth reading too for information about evidence although it (properly) does not name witnesses.

On 21/12/2021 at 23:32, tamthebam said:

You're not likely to get a copy of court minutes, even under GDPR, and you'd have to probably prove a connection to the case e.g. You were a victim of a crime. As you would be dealing with a High Court case in this instance you may even have to satisfy a High Court Judge as to the reason why you should see them. 

Newspaper reports are the best bet as mentioned. The appeal report might also be worth reading too for information about evidence although it (properly) does not name witnesses.

Why is this? I thought the public were free to attend court cases and there's the old phrase "Not only must Justice be done; it must also be seen to be done." 

1 minute ago, welshbairn said:

Why is this? I thought the public were free to attend court cases and there's the old phrase "Not only must Justice be done; it must also be seen to be done." 

Normally* folk are free to attend unless it's a closed court for whatever reason e.g. child witness or undercover cops. Petitions (initial stage of more serious crimes) are also heard in private for some reason. Reporting restrictions can be placed on certain court cases but these are rare and can be subject to review.

Court minutes are record of proceedings and usually quite anodyne (standard computer generated)  but a Sheriff or Judge may have made their own note on a minute which is an aide memoire for them and them alone. Clerks of Court are the Sheriff's (or Judge's) Clerk after all. 

Personally I always thought it was strange I can't see my own medical records if only to remember what age I was when I had German measles.

*Covid has buggered things up of course.

8 minutes ago, tamthebam said:

Normally* folk are free to attend unless it's a closed court for whatever reason e.g. child witness or undercover cops. Petitions (initial stage of more serious crimes) are also heard in private for some reason. Reporting restrictions can be placed on certain court cases but these are rare and can be subject to review.

Court minutes are record of proceedings and usually quite anodyne (standard computer generated)  but a Sheriff or Judge may have made their own note on a minute which is an aide memoire for them and them alone. Clerks of Court are the Sheriff's (or Judge's) Clerk after all. 

Personally I always thought it was strange I can't see my own medical records if only to remember what age I was when I had German measles.

*Covid has buggered things up of course.

Cheers. I'm sad enough to have phoned in to listen to Hearts &co whining about getting demoted last year to Lord Clarke, it was riveting. 

P.S. I think you can get your medical records if you demand them, takes months though.

Edited by welshbairn