Quick Question Thread

1 minute ago, deej said:

The back door to my house is jammed. It locks and unlocks as normal, but the handle wont depress to open the fucking thing. 

What can I do, aside from asking a man to come round and smash my back doors in?

Unscrew the handle and find out what's wrong.

3 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

Unscrew the handle and find out what's wrong.

I took it off and couldn't see an issue, which might be down to me not knowing what to look for. Nothing obvious anyway. 

3 minutes ago, Left Back said:

Use the front door.

P&B never fails to deliver. 

Just in case anyone is wondering I've opened all the windows and turned the heating on full blast

22 minutes ago, deej said:

I took it off and couldn't see an issue, which might be down to me not knowing what to look for. Nothing obvious anyway. 

P&B never fails to deliver. 

Just in case anyone is wondering I've opened all the windows and turned the heating on full blast

Is it a upvc security door?

28 minutes ago, Left Back said:

Assume you've tried quite a bit of force on it?

Has anyone wedged a spade under the outside handle?

If you loosen the screws on the handle slightly does it work?

If that still doesn't work then it's likely the multipoint is gubbed

A combination of loosening the screws and as much force as I can got it open, cheers.

Handle is still a bit sticky so think i'll just drown the inside of the fucker in wd40 to see if that helps

21 minutes ago, deej said:

A combination of loosening the screws and as much force as I can got it open, cheers.

Handle is still a bit sticky so think i'll just drown the inside of the fucker in wd40 to see if that helps

Make sure you don't get any into the euro barrel.  Id remove the barrel before firing WD40 about.

That'll be £300 please.  I've given you a discount on the call-out charge seeing as I didn't have to leave my desk.

26 minutes ago, Left Back said:

Make sure you don't get any into the euro barrel.  Id remove the barrel before firing WD40 about.

That'll be £300 please.  I've given you a discount on the call-out charge seeing as I didn't have to leave my desk.

Since when did house breakers sit behind a desk?

2 hours ago, deej said:

The back door to my house is jammed. It locks and unlocks as normal, but the handle wont depress to open the fucking thing. 

What can I do, aside from asking a man to come round and smash my back doors in?

My cousin's wife fitted some of their door handles upside down so that you had to lift the handle to open it.

The marriage didn't last long after that, though I don't think that was the only reason.

My cousin's wife fitted some of their door handles upside down so that you had to lift the handle to open it.
The marriage didn't last long after that, though I don't think that was the only reason.
Very tempted to get up early tomorrow and do this to every door handle at work.

1 hour ago, GordonD said:

Not that I'm from Ayrshire or anything, but that's a man's job. Like @deej he should have got a man in.

3 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

Not that I'm from Ayrshire or anything, but that's a man's job. Like @deej he should have got a man in.

Changing locks and handles is exceptionally easy, I'm surprised there are people out there making money from it. As surprised as I was the other day when I met a guy who makes an exceptional amount of money "supplying and fitting only bespoke wardrobes". 

It was Edinburgh but still. 

5 minutes ago, Mr. Alli said:

Changing locks and handles is exceptionally easy, I'm surprised there are people out there making money from it. As surprised as I was the other day when I met a guy who makes an exceptional amount of money "supplying and fitting only bespoke wardrobes". 

I thought @Shandon Par had moved back to Fife.

4 minutes ago, Mr. Alli said:

I've got a complete set of allen keys, imperial and metric. I could do that.

Locksmith mate of mine says WD40 is a very temporary solution as it just evaporates away. He uses a powdery carbon stuff.