Quick Question Thread

On 25/08/2021 at 14:57, Bairnardo said:

Has anyone taken action on the interlinked smoke alarms thing yet? I have 2 that are mains powered, I guess I need to replace them with mains powered interlinked ones, and get a further (ideally battery powered to avoid having to get a sparky in) one interlinked in the living room.... Anyone know of decent priced brands, or companies that come in and get your house compliant with the new laws for a reasonable price?

Hide contents

No, not Grimbo

This is probably a daft question but how do you tell if they are interlinked, should testing one set them all off?

5 minutes ago, Thereisalight.. said:

Random question - what is the most accurate weather app? Ive used the BBC one for years but it’s a bit of a miss at times. Is the met office one better? 

TWRM (Tomorrow.io) is pretty good and in my experience fairly accurate in predicting precipitation.

4 hours ago, The Moonster said:

Cheers, I'll maybe refrain from cameras if it's going to make my neighbours think I'm a nonce. 

Joking aside ,if it was a small enough camera and attached to you property you could put a small camera up and the standard small warning sticker in your window ,would be nothing to stop you putting a separate camera hidden pointing towards where you normally park your car ,if any neighbours say anything tell them your catching the cunto that’s keying your car and “”why do you know anything about it ??” Expect to see you in the evil neighbours thread soon . 

D0C5F38C-BDF5-44A0-ADFA-F96217817BD9.jpeg

Edited by Arthur daley

15 hours ago, lichtgilphead said:

Firstly, I'm not a Building Standards Officer, so don't take my advice as gospel!

Whilst I had specifically stated that I had installed the new interlinked alarm system as part of renovations to my existing property (which is not a new build), I would point out that The Housing (Scotland) Act 1987 (Tolerable Standard) (Extension of Criteria) Order 2019 states:

Tolerable standard: extension of criteria

2.  In section 86(1) of the Housing (Scotland) Act 1987 (definition of house meeting tolerable standard), after paragraph (i) insert—

(j)has satisfactory equipment installed for detecting, and for giving warning of, fire or suspected fire;

(k)has satisfactory equipment installed for detecting, and for giving warning of, carbon monoxide present in a concentration that is hazardous to health,.

I'm not aware of any other legislation that covers this point. Guidance in a technical handbook is not normally equivalent to legislation. 

This new legislative requirement & the guidance I linked to above appear to be silent on new builds. What it does say is that 

New home extensions and building regulation requirements
While building regulations recommend mains operated devices with battery back-up for building work in certain circumstances, tamper proof long-life lithium battery operated devices may be the preferred option for home owners."

(My emphasis on "recommend")

However, I'll happily concede the point if you can show me some legislation that demands hard-wiring in new builds. All I care about is that my home will be compliant when (if?) the new regulatory requirements come into force.

See the quote from the 2019 Order above. That's the bit that will have the force of law IF it is enacted as planned. It's already been postponed once.

The guidance I previously linked to states "As this will be a minimum standard for safe houses, local authorities could use their statutory powers to require owners to carry out work on substandard housing, although we would expect any intervention to be proportionate."

I expect that your local Building Standards Officer at the council would be tasked with enforcement, so I would speak to them if you want up-to-date correct information.

The applicable legislation for new build is the Building (Scotland) Act 2003. The Scottish Government Building Standards Division publish a document titled the Domestic Technical Handbook (referred to by many as 'the building regs') which provides a route to compliance with the mandatory standards in the legislation. Section 2.11.1 of the 2020 handbook states:

"in order to provide a fire detection and fire alarm system that should alert occupants to the outbreak of fire, a Grade D system should be installed in all dwellings"

I can tell you from experience that every new build domestic property is provided with at least an LD2, grade D fire detection and alarm system and that's been the case for many years. Grade D means interlinked mains powered fire detectors with battery backup.

Conversions, extensions and the like will be judged on their own merit but usually wouldn't be expected to be brought up to full compliance with current standards, unless the work is particularly extensive.

4 hours ago, 101 said:

This is probably a daft question but how do you tell if they are interlinked, should testing one set them all off?

Yeah thats what they mean by interlinked. Detection of smoke/heat on any one alarm sets all alarms off

4 hours ago, Arthur daley said:

Joking aside ,if it was a small enough camera and attached to you property you could put a small camera up and the standard small warning sticker in your window ,would be nothing to stop you putting a separate camera hidden pointing towards where you normally park your car ,if any neighbours say anything tell them your catching the cunto that’s keying your car and “”why do you know anything about it ??” Expect to see you in the evil neighbours thread soon . 

D0C5F38C-BDF5-44A0-ADFA-F96217817BD9.jpeg

Be careful - upskirt filming is a specific offence.

I'm told.

3 hours ago, Bairnardo said:

Yeah thats what they mean by interlinked. Detection of smoke/heat on any one alarm sets all alarms off

Yeh I wasn't sure if testing then meant they all should go off. But grand I thought I was ready for the change but will need to get it sorted.

Random question - what is the most accurate weather app? Ive used the BBC one for years but it’s a bit of a miss at times. Is the met office one better? 
I use weather underground ten day forecast. Mainly because the data is presented in a much more useful way.

On 25/08/2021 at 15:01, Zen Archer (Raconteur) said:

I'm looking at this and reckon I'll opt for FireAngel, available through Screwfix amongst others.

For Homeowners | FireAngel

Found this for folk that are interested.

Please note: the Nest Protect System will not meet the standard. This is because they do not meet the requirements for a heat alarm under the relevant British Standard. British Standard (BS 5839-6:2019) makes it clear that only heat alarms should be installed in kitchens.

Fire and smoke alarms: changes to the law - gov.scot (www.gov.scot)