Quick Question Thread

1 hour ago, tamthebam said:

I think a Pal's dad had one when we were young.

It was a bit crap IIRC.

Just beware of errors. You don't want to end up having to care for an axelrose. It could be expensive and messy.

Certainly as pets go, that one has one of the higher heroin budget requirements

On 24/08/2021 at 20:41, Melanius Mullarkey said:

What the f**k is this?

9F859A75-864D-4BCE-937C-EA0FF1326C75.jpeg

FUrther update on this. If it is some kind of parasitic wasp, it seems to have been named after @throbber as well.

Its a Gasteruption jaculator.

https://www.gwct.org.uk/wildlife/species-of-the-month/2017/gasteruption-jaculator/

3 minutes ago, Melanius Mullarkey said:

Had to quickly look up GWAR there. My word.

I had a poster of Slymenstra Hymen when I was a young shaver.

I like my women terrifying and splattered with the blood of their enemies.

We bought our Fireangel alarms on Amazon Prime day (13 Oct) last year - saved us £85 on normal Amazon prices (4 detectors, 1 CO monitor & 1 Heat Alarm for £215)
They seem reasonably good - 10 year battery life & all still interconnected whe we remember to test them. 
Good of nippy to keep us all safe.

6 hours ago, UsedToGoToCentralPark said:
On 25/08/2021 at 18:43, lichtgilphead said:
We bought our Fireangel alarms on Amazon Prime day (13 Oct) last year - saved us £85 on normal Amazon prices (4 detectors, 1 CO monitor & 1 Heat Alarm for £215)
They seem reasonably good - 10 year battery life & all still interconnected whe we remember to test them. 

Good of nippy to keep us all safe.

F*ck all to do with any new laws that aren't even in force yet, m9. We chose to upgrade our fire alarm system as part of a larger project. 

The current legislation requires interlinked fire alarms in new builds or when you do certain types of building work in your house. It's even stricter in England, Wales & the Failed Statelet, where these alarms have to be hardwired with battery backup. I blame that David Cameron for his excessive nanny state over-complications.

If we can ignore UTGTCP's politicing, who could object to better fire safety standards after Grenfell, Grimbo & similar?

2 hours ago, Empty It said:

Are electric shock collars for dogs legal in the UK and if so why? It's as clear an example of animal abuse you'll see.

I suspect they are illegal under the Animal Health and Welfare (Scotland) Act 2006 Section 19. 

There's probably a similar provision in England but I can't be arsed looking for it.

On 26/08/2021 at 20:52, lichtgilphead said:

F*ck all to do with any new laws that aren't even in force yet, m9. We chose to upgrade our fire alarm system as part of a larger project. 

The current legislation requires interlinked fire alarms in new builds or when you do certain types of building work in your house. It's even stricter in England, Wales & the Failed Statelet, where these alarms have to be hardwired with battery backup. I blame that David Cameron for his excessive nanny state over-complications.

If we can ignore UTGTCP's politicing, who could object to better fire safety standards after Grenfell, Grimbo & similar?

They need to be hard wired with battery backup in Scotland as well to my knowledge.

8 hours ago, lichtgilphead said:

They don't. Tamper-proof long-life (10 year) lithium batteries are acceptable.

https://www.gov.scot/publications/fire-and-smoke-alarms-in-scottish-homes/

You were talking about new build though - to comply with the BSD technical handbook, the fire detection system needs to be grade D at least. That's hard wired with battery backup.

I went to my car this morning to see that for the second time some wee fucking arsehole has decided to run their key along my paint work. This one is much worse than the previous one and it's on the same side, so I don't know if it's the same guy or whether folk have seen the key mark and thought it was funny so decided to add another one which was much worse. I presume it's not legal for me to set up a camera on a public street, identify whatever wee p***k thinks this is funny then burn down his house with his entire family still inside?