Quick Question Thread

1 hour ago, tamthebam said:

A badly painted ceiling.

With a beastie.

Must have been Shandon on one of his “visits”.

Anyway, think I’ve tracked it down to being some kind of parasitic wasp. The big long thing at the arse end is for laying eggs apparently. So I’ve doused the living room with petrol chucked a match in and shut the door.

1 hour ago, ICTChris said:

We’ve had a leak in our garage, some water has been on the floor. I’ve mopped it up and we are getting the source sorted out. Do I need to do anything special to get the floor dried? Some places mention a dehumidifier, is it worth doing that or can I just run a fan in it to help dry it out?

Why do you need to dry out a garage floor? What's it made of?

We did have a leak once in the hall and had to get a fan and dehumidifier in to dry it and I was able to claim about 300 quid cash from insurance company for the cost of the electric (I think the extra was about 40 quid that month). So we'll worth getting one in anyway. 

13 hours ago, ICTChris said:

We’ve had a leak in our garage, some water has been on the floor. I’ve mopped it up and we are getting the source sorted out. Do I need to do anything special to get the floor dried? Some places mention a dehumidifier, is it worth doing that or can I just run a fan in it to help dry it out?

Heat and/or dehumidifier and/or airing it. Just letting the air through it in the current temperature may be enough. If you’ve any portable heaters they’d help dry it. If it’s just a one-off leak you shouldn’t have much to worry about in terms of the roof etc rotting. If there’s any cosmetic damage you need to patch up then use a stain block product first before painting.

Or of course you could just torch the garage and claim the insurance.

Has anyone taken action on the interlinked smoke alarms thing yet? I have 2 that are mains powered, I guess I need to replace them with mains powered interlinked ones, and get a further (ideally battery powered to avoid having to get a sparky in) one interlinked in the living room.... Anyone know of decent priced brands, or companies that come in and get your house compliant with the new laws for a reasonable price?

Spoiler

No, not Grimbo

3 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:

Has anyone taken action on the interlinked smoke alarms thing yet? I have 2 that are mains powered, I guess I need to replace them with mains powered interlinked ones, and get a further (ideally battery powered to avoid having to get a sparky in) one interlinked in the living room.... Anyone know of decent priced brands, or companies that come in and get your house compliant with the new laws for a reasonable price?

Hide contents

No, not Grimbo

I'm looking at this and reckon I'll opt for FireAngel, available through Screwfix amongst others.

For Homeowners | FireAngel

We bought our Fireangel alarms on Amazon Prime day (13 Oct) last year - saved us £85 on normal Amazon prices (4 detectors, 1 CO monitor & 1 Heat Alarm for £215)

They seem reasonably good - 10 year battery life & all still interconnected whe we remember to test them.