Quick Question Thread

4 minutes ago, 19QOS19 said:

What is the purpose of "This van is limited to 70mph" stickers? If the national speed limit is 70mph then I can't help but think it's an utterly pointless thing. Unless there's a legitimate reason for them?

So you can drive past them giving them the fingers at 71mph safe in the knowledge that they can't catch up with you and the police probably won't pull you over.  Unless there are traffic lights or a roundabout ahead, in which case you're getting battered with whatever's in their toolbox.

3 hours ago, Hedgecutter said:

When it comes to 'life membership' of a supporters' club, are you stuck with it until you die, or is it more like the so-called 'life sentence' that criminals squirm out of after 20 years or so?

Supporting Brechin City: like a life sentence. But worse.

30 minutes ago, Pato said:

Any of you c***s use a brush cleaning/maintenance system? Sick of soaking stuff in white spirit and then hoping I can get all the clag out.

I've seen the photos of the containers with holes in the lids for brushes etc at places like Toolstation, but never used them. Always been fond of an old baby milk tin, slit in the lid and filled with white spirit or thinners and brushes stuffed into it.

2 hours ago, Pato said:

Any of you c***s use a brush cleaning/maintenance system? Sick of soaking stuff in white spirit and then hoping I can get all the clag out.

If its for glossing flat surfaces, disposable gloss rollers* are your friend. Apply gloss to required surface, Ditch the roller in the bin after. Affix new roller to handle next time you want to paint.

*get the foam version, the furry ones are shite. 

2 hours ago, Pato said:

No, toilet paper all my life.

6 hours ago, Boghead ranter said:

If its for glossing flat surfaces, disposable gloss rollers* are your friend. Apply gloss to required surface, Ditch the roller in the bin after. Affix new roller to handle next time you want to paint.

*get the foam version, the furry ones are shite. 

That's because the "furry ones" are for emulsion.

16 hours ago, Pato said:

I thought most paint can be washed off with water nowadays including gloss paint.

Edited by Fullerene

1 hour ago, Fullerene said:

I thought most paint can be washed off with water nowadays including gloss paint.

If they are water based yes.  You can still get solvent based gloss. 

19 minutes ago, Abby Normal said:

I just do it to annoy the Mrs. It’s not great for the brushes tbh. Home Bargains do some really decent packs of brushes for about £6.

My experience of cheap brushes has almost universally been negative. I buy the Crown Trade packs of brushes from the Crown Centre. Consistent quality, without paying a fortune for the likes of Purdy or Bates.

2 hours ago, Fullerene said:

42 minutes ago, Rugster said:

If they are water based yes.  You can still get solvent based gloss. 

I only ever use water based satin wood nowadays. It's a pleasure to work with. Though one of my staff, the painter, is old school and thinks it's sacrilege to use any gloss that isn't oil based. I just prefer how much easier it is to clean and since it dries quicker you can get more coats on in less time.

2 minutes ago, Sweet Pete said:

My experience of cheap brushes has almost universally been negative. I buy the Crown Trade packs of brushes from the Crown Centre. Consistent quality, without paying a fortune for the likes of Purdy or Bates.

I’ve probably got the packaging in the depths of the van but there’s one particular Home Bargains set that has red and handles, a couple of cutting in brushes, a couple of 2 inch and a bigger one. They don’t seem to agree with Dulux acrylic stuff but for most paints they are really decent and so cheap. You’re right though that most of these supermarket packs are unusable shite but there’s one hidden gem in there.

1 minute ago, Abby Normal said:

I’ve probably got the packaging in the depths of the van but there’s one particular Home Bargains set that has red and handles, a couple of cutting in brushes, a couple of 2 inch and a bigger one. They don’t seem to agree with Dulux acrylic stuff but for most paints they are really decent and so cheap. You’re right though that most of these supermarket packs are unusable shite but there’s one hidden gem in there.

I still have loads of the cheap ones in a bag in the cellar. I use them for stain blocking on occasion then just hoy them in the bin.

6 minutes ago, Sweet Pete said:

I still have loads of the cheap ones in a bag in the cellar. I use them for stain blocking on occasion then just hoy them in the bin.

It’s quite ominous you have a cellar and are acquainted with Mrs Mathematics.

1 hour ago, Sweet Pete said:

I only ever use water based satin wood nowadays. It's a pleasure to work with. Though one of my staff, the painter, is old school and thinks it's sacrilege to use any gloss that isn't oil based. I just prefer how much easier it is to clean and since it dries quicker you can get more coats on in less time.

And it doesn't stink to high heaven.

Another +1 for satinwood. 

Painting a shop front today and two different ladies took my card and asked if I could come round and paint their windows. Are they just trying to trap me into some modern slavery? One of them said she had a painter but he vanished and all his gear is still in her house.