Quick Question Thread

10 minutes ago, Pato said:

I'm surprised to hear that, you'd think us east coast high rollers wouldn't need them while west coast penny pinchers could do with this feature. Mind you we don't get rich by spending our money.

I've not done much driving in the last year so probably only used 1 or 2 petrol stations but genuinely never seen them. Like others, I doubt I'd use them though, I like to use it as training for the day that Stephen Mulhern turns up and gives me a shot at winning a free tank. 

21 minutes ago, KnightswoodBear said:

I fear I'm leaving myself open to ridicule here as I've been using petrol pumps for 25 years, but the what now?

I’ve never used them either. Always just fill the car right up. Hate refuelling, f**k doing it a tenner at a time. 

6 minutes ago, Pato said:

Am I boring for just filling the tank till the pump clicks and paying for £56.34 of fuel etc then? Should I be aiming for round numbers even though I carry as much cash as the queen these days?

I pay by card and still l like to get it to a round £30. That lasts me the month usually which means I can spend £26.34 on ching and hookers. 

1 minute ago, Pato said:

Am I boring for just filling the tank till the pump clicks and paying for £56.34 of fuel etc then? Should I be aiming for round numbers even though I carry as much cash as the queen these days?

Not boring, I do this too but I suppose not everyone has that luxury.

I used to go through a tank a day in my last job in the UK.  At the end of a long day it as a pain having to stop off on the way home to fill up for the next day so I used to try to make it home without doing so.  Of course, I regretted such behaviour the next morning.   Had a petrol card so didn't care about exact cost so none of this exact amount nonsense.  I had my favourite stations to stop at to minimise wasted time.

3 minutes ago, jimbaxters said:

On that I knew a guy who (and probably still does) checked his balance before driving into the garage and say for example he had £234.56 in his account, he would fill £34.56 so he could round off the amount. OFTW behaviour.

An efficient use of funds IMHO. 

I'll do to the click then round it up to the nearest pound

I tried the exact amount button once, because it was a new thing to me and I was seeking some additonal excitement in my life.

They are shite. For some reason, they slow the pump right down so to get your tenner takes roughly the same time as your twenty quid (or 20.02 if you are a moron)

I fill up in £5 increments. 

I put £20 in at the start of the month then will use about £10 of that in a week so next visit is £10. If I go a penny over that it's £15. Again, penny over - £20. Thankfully the worst I've been is £25.

I used to use the button to indicate how much was to go in my tank but as said above, it slows down to a trickle.

I usually just fill my tank up until it clicks to say it's full. Don't really bother about it being a round number.

Does anyone use the "exact amount" buttons on petrol pumps?

Yeah from time to time. Pre pandemic it was to save scratching around for coppers when I went tuppence and h’penny over my £30 petrol budget. Since pandemic been using contactless constantly so no need. Tho was always a good game to play see if you can stop it dead on a full pound.

59 minutes ago, Hedgecutter said:

When it comes to 'life membership' of a supporters' club, are you stuck with it until you die, or is it more like the so-called 'life sentence' that criminals squirm out of after 20 years or so?

Life of the football club. So a lot of Rangers memberships will have come to an abrupt end in 2012...

What is the purpose of "This van is limited to 70mph" stickers? If the national speed limit is 70mph then I can't help but think it's an utterly pointless thing. Unless there's a legitimate reason for them?

3 minutes ago, 19QOS19 said:

What is the purpose of "This van is limited to 70mph" stickers? If the national speed limit is 70mph then I can't help but think it's an utterly pointless thing. Unless there's a legitimate reason for them?

I believe vans are supposed to travel 10mph lower than the limit on dual carriageways etc. which is why you see some that are limited to 60mph. I'm unsure why some would be limited to 70.

7 minutes ago, 19QOS19 said:

I think it is to warn the Audis that come barrelling up the outside lane of the motorway at 90mph that, while this 70mph van may have just pulled out in front of it without properly using its mirrors to overtake the 56mph limited HGV that is plodding along in the middle lane trying to overtake the HGV on the inside lane whose speed limiter has been incorrectly calibrated to 54mph, he’s not done it deliberately to piss off said Audi driver and he’ll be back in the middle lane just as soon as his 70mph will allow. 

Edited by alta-pete