Quick Question Thread

Possibly one for @Zen Archer Esq. as I think he might work in this sort of area, but does anyone know why in an industrial sized low temp hot water heating system the pressure on the return would go higher than the flow? The target differential is 1.5 bar less on the return than the flow, but for some reason the return is 4 bar above the flow which is worrying.

Possibly one for [mention=31698]Zen Archer Esq.[/mention] as I think he might work in this sort of area, but does anyone know why in an industrial sized low temp hot water heating system the pressure on the return would go higher than the flow? The target differential is 1.5 bar less on the return than the flow, but for some reason the return is 4 bar above the flow which is worrying.
Whilst waiting on Zen coming with anything technical, is the return pressure a credible reading? Point being, dont always trust your instruments.... Maybe you can zero check the gauge?

3 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:
9 minutes ago, Honest_Man#1 said:
Possibly one for [mention=31698]Zen Archer Esq.[/mention] as I think he might work in this sort of area, but does anyone know why in an industrial sized low temp hot water heating system the pressure on the return would go higher than the flow? The target differential is 1.5 bar less on the return than the flow, but for some reason the return is 4 bar above the flow which is worrying.

Whilst waiting on Zen coming with anything technical, is the return pressure a credible reading? Point being, dont always trust your instruments.... Maybe you can zero check the gauge?

It’s a pretty bonkers 10.5 bar which is why I’m a bit worried, but both the BMS and the numerous physical pressure gauges are all showing it as that so think it is correct.

2 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:

Tortellini ffs. Its not close.

Unsure why you are comparing them though. They are very different

I love all Italian food but these two are near the top. 

I've had recently gnocci made from sweet potato and with a touch of BBQ sauce, it was heavenly. However my favourite up until then was the local Italian's tortellini in a bolognese sauce with mince, peas and a layer of roasted cheese on the top. 

2 minutes ago, Honest_Man#1 said:

It’s a pretty bonkers 10.5 bar which is why I’m a bit worried, but both the BMS and the numerous physical pressure gauges are all showing it as that so think it is correct.

Thats me out then. 

For someone with a lot of experience in running big f**k off plants with all manner of horrifying shit in the pipes, I am hopelessly intimidated by heating/plumbing/anything domestic. 

1 hour ago, Honest_Man#1 said:

Possibly one for @Zen Archer Esq. as I think he might work in this sort of area, but does anyone know why in an industrial sized low temp hot water heating system the pressure on the return would go higher than the flow? The target differential is 1.5 bar less on the return than the flow, but for some reason the return is 4 bar above the flow which is worrying.

I'm not sure what you're describing here, a photo might help.

53 minutes ago, Zen Archer Esq. said:

I'm not sure what you're describing here, a photo might help.

Would have to take a huge number of photos due to size of the system. Essentially it’s a low temperature hit water heating system, fed from a combined heat and power unit off site. So we get hot water for the heating pumped into site at one point which then spreads through the buildings. The pressure of the water on the flow pipes is 6-7 bar, but the pressure of the water in the return pipes is 10-11 bar, which seems bizarre to me. Worry is that sustained pressure of 10-11 bar on the pipe work which eventually cause leaks/burst pipe.

Edit: Usually the pressure on return pipe work should be 1-2 bar less than on the flow, as the flow is assisted by pumps etc. Unsure exactly how return pressure can be higher at all, never mind significantly.

Edited by Honest_Man#1

Would have to take a huge number of photos due to size of the system. Essentially it’s a low temperature hit water heating system, fed from a combined heat and power unit off site. So we get hot water for the heating pumped into site at one point which then spreads through the buildings. The pressure of the water on the flow pipes is 6-7 bar, but the pressure of the water in the return pipes is 10-11 bar, which seems bizarre to me. Worry is that sustained pressure of 10-11 bar on the pipe work which eventually cause leaks/burst pipe.

Edit: Usually the pressure on return pipe work should be 1-2 bar less than on the flow, as the flow is assisted by pumps etc. Unsure exactly how return pressure can be higher at all, never mind significantly.

The only thing I can think of is an inline strainer/filter being blocked, either that or a faulty gauge.

Is there a front end on the controls where you can read pressure from sensors?

If you're going to strip one out be careful those systems can run up to 95 degrees.

1 hour ago, Zen Archer Esq. said:

The only thing I can think of is an inline strainer/filter being blocked, either that or a faulty gauge.

Is there a front end on the controls where you can read pressure from sensors?

If you're going to strip one out be careful those systems can run up to 95 degrees.

Problem is that the system covers 6 fairly large buildings, so checking pipework valves etc for blockages would be needles in a haystack stuff due to the sheer number. Bit of a nightmare tbh.

Cheers anyway!

It appears the heating is fully up, have you opened the windows?

Problem is that the system covers 6 fairly large buildings, so checking pipework valves etc for blockages would be needles in a haystack stuff due to the sheer number. Bit of a nightmare tbh.

Cheers anyway!

Restriction on the system somewhere causing a bottle neck? Like a globe valve not fully open for example?

23 minutes ago, Sweet Pete said:

Restriction on the system somewhere causing a bottle neck? Like a globe valve not fully open for example?

I think that’s most likely, although it’s strange that the various gauges throughout the system all show huge pressure on the return, including on the final point on the system. If there was a blockage somewhere in the system I would expect there to be no pressure at the end point as there would only be air (or very little water) in it.

Just now, Honest_Man#1 said:

I think that’s most likely, although it’s strange that the various gauges throughout the system all show huge pressure on the return, including on the final point on the system. If there was a blockage somewhere in the system I would expect there to be no pressure at the end point as there would only be air (or very little water) in it.

My thinking is that if a valve (or similar) has gotten stuck and restricted the flow then the pressure will increase as a result. For example, you get those shower heads with smaller holes for the water to come through which you use on low pressure showers to give a better pressure spray. The restriction would cause the pressure to increase, so I'd be checking around where the return begins and look from there onwards for the culprit. Might be a big ask mind. Wouldn't be too worried about bursts though, I tested a small 15mm copper circuit that I had just soldered to 20 bar recently without a drip, so heavy gauge industrial should be able to cope.

3 hours ago, Sweet Pete said:

My thinking is that if a valve (or similar) has gotten stuck and restricted the flow then the pressure will increase as a result. For example, you get those shower heads with smaller holes for the water to come through which you use on low pressure showers to give a better pressure spray. The restriction would cause the pressure to increase, so I'd be checking around where the return begins and look from there onwards for the culprit. Might be a big ask mind. Wouldn't be too worried about bursts though, I tested a small 15mm copper circuit that I had just soldered to 20 bar recently without a drip, so heavy gauge industrial should be able to cope.

That's a pity, I was hoping it would go up like Old Yeller.