Quick Question Thread

Bought HP sauce for the first time in ages the other day.  Have noticed the colour of the sauce is a lighter brown than i can recall, and the viscosity is definitely mair runny than before.

Am i just unlucky with the one i bought, or has the product changed to the above lighter, runnier liquid ??

Sauce aficionados opinions please

42 minutes ago, hearthammer said:

Bought HP sauce for the first time in ages the other day.  Have noticed the colour of the sauce is a lighter brown than i can recall, and the viscosity is definitely mair runny than before.

Am i just unlucky with the one i bought, or has the product changed to the above lighter, runnier liquid ??

Sauce aficionados opinions please

Did you shake the bottle first?

13 hours ago, GordonD said:

What do you mean, change? They've always spelt it like that. It's a trademark, like Irn Bru - see the little 'R' symbol?

I'm part of a classy household, hence we say porage in a way that rhymes with 'mirage'.  Porridge on the other hand, rhyming with ridge, is for the peasants.

We have two boxes at any one time so that we don't need to visit the scheme goblin shop if we suddenly find out that one has run out.

Screenshot_20210311-115714.thumb.png.752b19cd49eaa6b5bc2a7a1e09001ed6.png

I am however still attempting to open a box properly, but then again, I've not been trained for manual labour.

21 minutes ago, GordonD said:

Did you shake the bottle first?

yes, i always shoogle the glass/plastic bottle.  It could just be that, because i haven't bought or used HP sauce for months, it is how it is and i just felt it looked and tasted "different" than what i remember.

Cheers  

44 minutes ago, Hedgecutter said:

I'm part of a classy household, hence we say porage in a way that rhymes with 'mirage'.  Porridge on the other hand, rhyming with ridge, is for the peasants.

We have two boxes at any one time so that we don't need to visit the scheme goblin shop if we suddenly find out that one has run out.

Screenshot_20210311-115714.thumb.png.752b19cd49eaa6b5bc2a7a1e09001ed6.png

I am however still attempting to open a box properly, but then again, I've not been trained for manual labour.

Tedi. 

23 minutes ago, hearthammer said:

yes, i always shoogle the glass/plastic bottle.  It could just be that, because i haven't bought or used HP sauce for months, it is how it is and i just felt it looked and tasted "different" than what i remember.

Cheers  

16 minutes ago, The Moonster said:

Aye, that made me doubt the way 've been saying mirage. Glad you've confirmed it's the Hedge that's mental here. 

For avoidance of doubt, that post was entirely tongue in cheek.  I realise that I'll have sown some seeds of doubt though.

However, I too have previously wondered about the weird spelling on the Scott's box.

Eta:  I only have two boxes because one is empty and I can't be arsed taking it through to the recycling box seeing as it's out the way of anything.  :ph34r: 

Edited by Hedgecutter

6 hours ago, hk blues said:

I've had that a couple of times only.  Ice had gotten so thick that letting it defrost would have taken a fair while hence the knife attack.  Both times it happened because we hadn't used the freezer section for a while so forgot to defrost.  The last time  we (Royal We) actually broke the hinged door of the freezer section trying to open it!

Edit: this was in the days before frost free freezers.

Top tip.

After you've emptied the freezer, it can be safely defrosted and cleaned in an hour by using a fan heater or hair drier(use with common sense), no knives, screwdrivers or chisels required.

Switch it back on and start using it within a few hours.

16 hours ago, Zen Archer Esq. said:

Top tip.

After you've emptied the freezer, it can be safely defrosted and cleaned in an hour by using a fan heater or hair drier(use with common sense), no knives, screwdrivers or chisels required.

Switch it back on and start using it within a few hours.

I love crispy pancakes, my freezer is never empty!  

12 minutes ago, hk blues said:

It's a play on the French potage and English Porridge

Or 'porage' (from which porridge was derived) was only ever a misspelling of 'potage' due to R being next to T on the qwerty keyboard.

2 minutes ago, Hedgecutter said:

Or 'porage' (from which porridge was derived) was only ever a misspelling of 'potage' due to R being next to T on the qwerty keyboard.

Or more likely a direct take from the Dundonian pronunciation of porridge.  

Would be nice to think it was an error but it was  a conscious decision to use that "wrong" spelling as a marketing ploy.

1 minute ago, hk blues said:

Would be nice to think it was an error but it was  a conscious decision to use that "wrong" spelling as a marketing ploy.

... and so here we are talking about Scott's; traditional porridge oats of the highest quality that creates Scott's distinctive taste and texture.

Crafty f***ers.

2 minutes ago, Hedgecutter said:

... and so here we are talking about Scott's; traditional porridge oats of the highest quality that creates Scott's distinctive taste and texture.

Crafty f***ers.

And it only took 140 odd years to pay off!