Quick Question Thread

Her house backs onto a small park with a children's play area and that was where it happened. If, as the vet says, these dogs have previous, then it's pretty negligent of the owner to let them off the leash in a public area without muzzles.
Aye, he's a total c**t then.

6 hours ago, Boghead ranter said:

Maybe one for the Cycling thread, but how easy is it to remove and reattach the rear wheel of a geared bike?

One of the smaller Ranters has a rear wheel puncture, and I've never removed a rear wheel before.

Pish easy. Is it a nut n bolt? Or the newer lever type?

8 hours ago, Mr. Alli said:

Are we at a point as a society where dogs ripping cats apart is/can lead to criminal proceedings against their owner? 

Yes.

I've seen such events prosecuted in the Sheriff Court under the Dangerous Dogs Act. Which I believe has been on the statute book for nearly 30 years (and is a badly drafted piece of legislation no one has got round to repealing/redrafting)

I think the difference in law is that dogs are trainable and cats aren't therefore owners should be able to keep control of a trained dog. 

Cats can't be trained to the same standard but they can certainly be trained. My papa* used to get his cat to sit for a treat. I was gobsmacked the first time I witnessed it [emoji38]

* f**k yerselves.

7 hours ago, tamthebam said:

I think the difference in law is that dogs are trainable and cats aren't therefore owners should be able to keep control of a trained dog. 

Up to a point that's true, but I have had a lot of cats and some of them can be 'trained' to some extent - at least they can be taught where not to shit for example.  That said, I've not been able to train them where to shit.  

We have 4 wild cats at the moment.  They are excellent hunters and all the neighbours are more than happy that they keep the rat/mice population down even if they do shit in their gardens -  swings and roundabouts.  There are also stray dogs, 2 or 3, and they all eat at our place.  Interestingly, they (the dogs) sit across the road patiently waiting for the cats to feed then move in for whatever is left only once the cats have finished.  At feeding time we have about 8 cats so I'm guessing the dogs realise they are outnumbered.

I know Mr Alli is very protective of his dog(s?) and so he should be as they are part of his family, but we're not really comparing cats and dogs in terms of level of owner responsibility are we?

Part of the reason cats are so popular is, I'd imagine, because they come with less of a burden of responsibility. No amount of whataboutery can get away from that.

9 hours ago, tamthebam said:

There's no difference in law. You're responsible for your pet whether it's a cat, dog, snake or bearded dragon.

4 hours ago, hk blues said:

We have 4 wild cats at the moment.  They are excellent hunters and all the neighbours are more than happy that they keep the rat/mice population down even if they do shit in their gardens -  swings and roundabouts.  There are also stray dogs, 2 or 3, and they all eat at our place.  Interestingly, they (the dogs) sit across the road patiently waiting for the cats to feed then move in for whatever is left only once the cats have finished.  At feeding time we have about 8 cats so I'm guessing the dogs realise they are outnumbered.

Everyday life in Dundee but you'll miss it when you go back to the Philippines.

2 hours ago, The Moonster said:

There's no difference in law. You're responsible for your pet whether it's a cat, dog, snake or bearded dragon.

Depends on the incident though,  you aren't required to report a road accident with a cat but you are with a dog.  

4 hours ago, Bairnardo said:

I know Mr Alli is very protective of his dog(s?) and so he should be as they are part of his family, but we're not really comparing cats and dogs in terms of level of owner responsibility are we?

Absolutely. Just because owners really can't be bothered with cats doesn't diminish the fact that they should be held responsible if they're going around munching rabbits, birds etc. 

Seems to be a lot of "it'll no be like that when the dug rips a toddlers face off" coupled with "Aye bit cats are feral lit ken, wit they like". 

23 minutes ago, Mr. Alli said:

Absolutely. Just because owners really can't be bothered with cats doesn't diminish the fact that they should be held responsible if they're going around munching rabbits, birds etc. 

Seems to be a lot of "it'll no be like that when the dug rips a toddlers face off" coupled with "Aye bit cats are feral lit ken, wit they like". 

Evidence that cat owners "can't really be bothered with cats" please. 

Are you seriously advocating cat owners being prosecuted every time a wild bird or rabbit meets it's end? 

19 minutes ago, The Moonster said:

Evidence that cat owners "can't really be bothered with cats" please. 

Are you seriously advocating cat owners being prosecuted every time a wild bird or rabbit meets it's end? 

I'm advocating cat owners should be prosecuted when their cats are going around eating what their basic hunting instinct compels them to eat, yes. Much the same as is being put towards dog owners when their own hunting instinct kicks in. 

Edit : the evidence is clear for all to see, read the "Show us your pussy" where folk are saying they just leave their cat to roam and fend for itself. People on this very topic saying "cats can't be trained". 

Edited by Mr. Alli