Quick Question Thread

13 hours ago, Mr. Alli said:

Do folk still bash pots and clap on their doorstep every Thursday for the NHS? 

There seems to be a large degree of correlation between those who had the biggest hardons for doing it last summer and those who have stopped giving a f**k about the continued resilience of the NHS in December/January.

18 hours ago, Mr. Alli said:

Do folk still bash pots and clap on their doorstep every Thursday for the NHS? 

I now offer a sacrifice to the NHS every week last week was a gerbil this week is Dave, 45.

5 hours ago, Hillonearth said:

There seems to be a large degree of correlation between those who had the biggest hardons for doing it last summer and those who have stopped giving a f**k about the continued resilience of the NHS in December/January.

They'll be the "we're keeping the nurses in a job" lot.

Never actually heard anybody say that tbf, but we're talking about the demographic that often claims they're keeping the scaffies in a job by littering all over the place.

See how Bob Marley admits that he shot the sheriff but not the deputy..?

Did anybody shoot the deputy, is big Bob saying that he spared the deputy or is he saying that someone else caught that particular body and he was not to blame?

8 minutes ago, Stormzy said:

The JCB song came out over a decade ago now.

At the time Luke was 5 and was very admirable of his father that drove around in a JCB, what does he think now he is grown up. Probably thinks his dad is a failure. 

Thoughts?

10 minutes ago, Stormzy said:

See how Bob Marley admits that he shot the sheriff but not the deputy..?

Did anybody shoot the deputy, is big Bob saying that he spared the deputy or is he saying that someone else caught that particular body and he was not to blame?

Did August Darnell ever resolve his dispute with the CSA regarding Annie?

48 minutes ago, Alert Mongoose said:

If there are 50 numbers in a hat and you pick out the number 20 and then put it back in again are the odds that it would come out on the next pick the same as any other number?

Depends on whether you are asking for the odds of that happening before or after picking the first ball

The latter is the same as any other number (1:50), the former is 1:2,500

Edited by Todd_is_God

8 hours ago, Todd_is_God said:

Depends on whether you are asking for the odds of that happening before or after picking the first ball

The latter is the same as any other number (1:50), the former is 1:2,500

So. it's 50 times more likely to happen twice than once?

11 hours ago, Alert Mongoose said:

If there are 50 numbers in a hat and you pick out the number 20 and then put it back in again are the odds that it would come out on the next pick the same as any other number?

Odds of picking any number out of the hat is 1/50 (or 2%) for any given attempt. Each pick is independent from the others. Picking the same number twice would be 1/50 × 1/50 = (1/50)² = 1/2500 (or 0.04%). Similarly, three times would be (1/50)³ = 1/125000 (or 0.0008%)

Edited by Cyclizine

12 minutes ago, Cyclizine said:

Odds of picking any number out of the hat is 1/50 (or 2%) for any given attempt. Each pick is independent from the others. Picking the same number twice would be 1/50 × 1/50 = (1/50)² = 1/2500 (or 0.04%). Similarly, three times would be (1/50)³ = 1/125000 (or 0.0008%)

Thanks but I’m still confused. If the pick is independent why is picking it out a second time less likely? I’m probably being thick here.

Also I’m assuming this isn’t the same for the numbers on a roulette table? Does the starting point of the spin change that?

Edited by Alert Mongoose

15 minutes ago, Alert Mongoose said:

Thanks but I’m still confused. If the pick is independent why is picking it out a second time less likely? I’m probably being thick here.

Also I’m assuming this isn’t the same for the numbers on a roulette table? Does the starting point of the spin change that?

the chances of picking out number 20 remain 1/50 but he is explaining that picking out number 20 (1/50) followed by number 20 (1/50) is 1/2500 and if you picked out number 20 for a third successive time (assuming all balls mixed up) then that would b 1/12500....what would the chances be eh?

Think of head and tails - each time the chances of correctly guessing the outcome are 1/2........but what would the chances of picking tails correctly 47 times in a row?...always a 50/50 chance of tails coming up but the odds lengthen on the same outcome multiple times in a row.

Edited by Caledonian1