Quick Question Thread

1 minute ago, Genuine Hibs Fan said:

Comet V2 for the boiler, can't see a make/model on the tank. Had a look at an instruction manual for the boiler online but all seemed to be about the central heating

Try this, click on the manual tab.

Comet Electric Combi Boiler | Electric Heating Company (electric-heatingcompany.co.uk)

Aye I'm guessing open these two valves should do the job?

IMG_20201219_215747.jpg

That doesn't look like what I posed a minute ago.

ETA, could you take a photo of the badge?

Edited by Zen Archer Esq.

Aye I'm guessing open these two valves should do the job?

IMG_20201219_215747.jpg

Yes mate, that should be your cold water in. Hang on, I can't see where the pipes go. Don't open them yet, might be for the radiators.

Edited by johnnydun

3 minutes ago, johnnydun said:

Yes mate, that should be your cold water in. Hang on, I can't see where the pipes go. Don't open them yet, might be for the radiators

That's your outlet on the top of your tank, the other pipe going to your tank will be the inlet.

Edited by johnnydun

5 minutes ago, Zen Archer Esq. said:

That doesn't look like what I posed a minute ago.

ETA, could you take a photo of the badge?

Feel fucking daft with this, I'm usually good at sorting stuff in the house but no idea what I'm doing here lol. Have opened the valves there, there's no others I can see just now. Assuming the last tenants/landlord closed them when the flat was left empty.

IMG_20201219_220134.jpg

3 minutes ago, Genuine Hibs Fan said:

Feel fucking daft with this, I'm usually good at sorting stuff in the house but no idea what I'm doing here lol. Have opened the valves there, there's no others I can see just now. Assuming the last tenants/landlord closed them when the flat was left empty.

IMG_20201219_220134.jpg

There's yer dinner.

Click on the manual tab.

9kW Comet Electric System Boiler & 150L Direct Cylinder Package | EHC (electric-heatingcompany.co.uk)

1 minute ago, Zen Archer Esq. said:

The diagram is a gas system boiler layout, however it's not far from @Genuine Hibs Fan 's system as it's only 9Kw, 3 radiators and hot water is a bit of a stretch.

Right I think I get it now, the hot waters been off under the sinks and the washing machine as well. Nothing hot coming out the taps get but guessing it'll take its time to heat up. Worryingly with your last comment we've got 6 radiators...

Thank you and @johnnydun for taking time out your Saturday night! If I'm not seeing any progress tomorrow morning I'm giving my folks a ring anyway so can pull the plug on the nuclear option of asking my dad what to do (I am 27 years old)

3 minutes ago, Genuine Hibs Fan said:

Right I think I get it now, the hot waters been off under the sinks and the washing machine as well. Nothing hot coming out the taps get but guessing it'll take its time to heat up. Worryingly with your last comment we've got 6 radiators...

Thank you and @johnnydun for taking time out your Saturday night! If I'm not seeing any progress tomorrow morning I'm giving my folks a ring anyway so can pull the plug on the nuclear option of asking my dad what to do (I am 27 years old)

I'm guessing that with just 9Kw, you can heat the radiators but not have hot water, not both.

If you require hot water, well you can guess the rest.

3 minutes ago, Zen Archer Esq. said:

I'm guessing that with just 9Kw, you can heat the radiators but not have hot water, not both.

Well that's put an additional dampener on the day, we'll wait and see i suppose. Thanks again though 

12 minutes ago, Zen Archer Esq. said:

You know what, the epc document says we have storage heaters so maybe it's just for the hot water lol. We've got a 3-reading (economy 7 if my memory of 3 months working for sse is right) meter so that would make sense. I think the "welcome to the property" gubbins had some info but I've handily left that with the last few things in my old place to be picked up tomorrow 

2 minutes ago, Genuine Hibs Fan said:

You know what, the epc document says we have storage heaters so maybe it's just for the hot water lol. We've got a 3-reading (economy 7 if my memory of 3 months working for sse is right) meter so that would make sense. I think the "welcome to the property" gubbins had some info but I've handily left that with the last few things in my old place to be picked up tomorrow 

The guy that designed a specified the system must be living on a Caribbean Island, a pressurised 36'x18' cylinder with a 3Kw immersion heater and 40 quid timer would have done.