Quick Question Thread

Car trouble. Don't use my car very much these days. Had a problem with a flat battery a few weeks ago , but got it going using jump leads from my van. Yesterday , drove about a mile in my car. It had started no problem. After getting to the destination a mile away, switched off the ignition , leaving the key in. About 5 minutes later got back into the car turned the key in the ignition and got absolutely no response from the car at all. I dont think it's s flat battery, because when that was the problem there was at least the noise of the car seemingly trying to start, and the sat nav displayed "battery low" or something like that.  Anybody got an idea what the problem might be ? .... I wondered about the immobiliser but the information in the Manual about warning lights or message which should appear makes me think it's not this that's the problem. 

Edited by A96

22 minutes ago, A96 said:

Car trouble. Don't use my car very much these days. Had a problem with a flat battery a few weeks ago , but got it going using jump leads from my van. Yesterday , drove about a mile in my car. It had started no problem. After getting to the destination a mile away, switched off the ignition , leaving the key in. About 5 minutes later got back into the car turned the key in the ignition and got absolutely no response from the car at all. I dont think it's s flat battery, because when that was the problem there was at least the noise of the car seemingly trying to start, and the sat nav displayed "battery low" or something like that.  Anybody got an idea what the problem might be ? .... I wondered about the immobiliser but the information in the Manual about warning lights or message which should appear makes me think it's not this that's the problem. 

Did you start it with the jump leads on or trickle charge and start it under its own power? If the former, I’d suggest a deid battery. 

12 minutes ago, alta-pete said:

Did you start it with the jump leads on or trickle charge and start it under its own power? If the former, I’d suggest a deid battery. 

Sounds like he started it under its own power, it was a few weeks ago he had to use the jump leads. Though when I've had to charge a battery or jump start it before it's never lasted long before having to buy a new one.

Edited by welshbairn

Sounds similar to what happened to my wife's car a few weeks ago, in which case your battery is fucked.

23 minutes ago, thisal said:

I'm not a mechanic, but going by my own experience It still sounds like your battery. 

Ditto.

I had identical symptoms about 1 year ago and a new battery sorted it out. Modern batteries aren't like they used to be. Nowadays they seem to pack in suddenly rather gradually.

Good article here on the subject :

https://www.knowyourparts.com/technical-resources/blog/understanding-modern-automotive-battery-functions/

I haven’t used a trickle charger .

About  2 or 3 weeks ago, I connected my van battery to my car battery with jump leads to get the car battery charged.

However , before that Id had to use the jump leads a few mornings  to get my van going off the car battery.  I’ve assumed that this had caused my car battery to be drained.

Update ..... it was the battery ......absolutely fuckin deid this time .......as opposed to just being very poorly a few weeks ago.

I’ve just managed to get the car started again using the jump leads connected to my van. But a mechanic lad has told me that the car battery’s most likely just reached the end of its lifespan , so a new one Is needed.

Thanks for the replies , lads.

1 hour ago, A96 said:

Car trouble. Don't use my car very much these days. Had a problem with a flat battery a few weeks ago , but got it going using jump leads from my van. Yesterday , drove about a mile in my car. It had started no problem. After getting to the destination a mile away, switched off the ignition , leaving the key in. About 5 minutes later got back into the car turned the key in the ignition and got absolutely no response from the car at all. I dont ththinkink it's s flat battery, because when that was the problem there was at least the noise of the car seemingly trying to start, and the sat nav displayed "battery low" or something like that.  Anybody got an idea what the problem might be ? .... I wondered about the immobiliser but the information in the Manual about warning lights or message which should appear makes me think it's not this that's the problem. 

1 hour ago, thisal said:

I'm not a mechanic, but going by my own experience It still sounds like your battery. 

56 minutes ago, alta-pete said:

43 minutes ago, 19QOS19 said:
1 hour ago, A96 said:

Sounds similar to what happened to my wife's car a few weeks ago, in which case your battery is fucked.

38 minutes ago, ICTJohnboy said:

Ditto.

I had identical symptoms about 1 year ago and a new battery sorted it out. Modern batteries aren't like they used to be. Nowadays they seem to pack in suddenly rather gradually.

Good article here on the subject :

https://www.knowyourparts.com/technical-resources/blog/understanding-modern-automotive-battery-functions/

7 minutes ago, A96 said:

Update ..... it was the battery ......absolutely fuckin deid this time .......as opposed to just being very poorly a few weeks ago.

I’ve just managed to get the car started again using the jump leads connected to my van. But a mechanic lad has told me that the car battery’s most likely just reached the end of its lifespan , so a new one Is needed.

Thanks for the replies , lads.

:lol: No-one saw that coming. 

10 minutes ago, Dee Man said:

:lol: No-one saw that coming. 

Aye , the sort of unanimous consensus that the SPFL can only dream of !

Maybe if everybody else tells Hearts , Patrick and Stranraer that they’re being relegated because their batteries are fucked , they’ll accept it with the same good grace as myself , and move on.

Edited by A96

1 hour ago, alta-pete said:

That trickle charge you mentioned .....is that the technical term for using a portable power pack sort of thing that can be plugged into the mains and then connected to the deid battery (with metal grips similar to jump leads) ?

22 minutes ago, A96 said:

That trickle charge you mentioned .....is that the technical term for using a portable power pack sort of thing that can be plugged into the mains and then connected to the deid battery (with metal grips similar to jump leads) ?

You can do it that way but what I was meaning was just leaving the van running with the leads on for a wee bit, disconnecting them and then trying to start the car off it’s own power. Anyhoo, a diagnosis seems to have been found! 

5 minutes ago, alta-pete said:

You can do it that way but what I was meaning was just leaving the van running with the leads on for a wee bit, disconnecting them and then trying to start the car off it’s own power. Anyhoo, a diagnosis seems to have been found! 

Do you mean running the van engine with the car ignition  being kept off ?

5 hours ago, GordonD said:

You don't need a new battery...

Fred.gif

That reminds me of a supporters club bus we took to Ayr once. A panel in the floor came loose and you could see the road underneath....