Quick Question Thread

In my days of craft and daft (06-08) someone once asked the teacher why we didn't have screwdrivers in the woodwork room. They could be too easily used as weapons. So presumably the hammers, chisels and the wee pointy things you used to hammer dents into metal with would all be lying idle.

Aye but you live in America and don't have experience working in financial services, right?

Maybe some other guy with your name applied and they got mixed up. Accept the job and accept a payoff to spare their blushes.

I contacted the company direct, they know about it, it’s a “stolen company identity” fraud.

Tomorrow evening I'm starting a free course, run by a guy at work, on the programming software "Python". Anyone in this field recommend getting involved in this long term? If it opens up more career avenues for me I'm all for it, but nowadays I have absolutely no experience or knowledge of computer programming and I don't know what's really beneficial or not. 

2 minutes ago, MixuFixit said:

I don't use it that much but it's quite easy to learn. If you don't have any programming experience then it's a good one to start with. Because it's so popular there's an enormous number of packages and add ons for it to help you do specific tasks once you've got applications in mind.

Cheers Mixu. I don't have anything specific in mind, just want to try an diversify my skills away from accounting and when the opportunity came up, thought I'd take it. 

2 hours ago, Stellaboz said:

Tomorrow evening I'm starting a free course, run by a guy at work, on the programming software "Python". Anyone in this field recommend getting involved in this long term? If it opens up more career avenues for me I'm all for it, but nowadays I have absolutely no experience or knowledge of computer programming and I don't know what's really beneficial or not. 

Python is the bees knees, well worth learning.

Agree with the above. Python is a very good first language, quite plain English and applicable to a lot of fields. Also a lot of room to grow, we use it at work in a wide number of use cases. 
I’ve just bought a beast of a book on Python, “Fluent Python”, to deepen my understanding of it as a language. Didn’t expect it to be 750 pages however....

Edited by Netan Sansara

2 minutes ago, Netan Sansara said:

Agree with the above. Python is a very good first language, quite plain English and applicable to a lot of fields. Also a lot of room to grow, we use it at work in a wide number of use cases. 
I’ve just bought a beast of a book on Python, “Fluent Python”, to deepen my understanding of it as a language. Didn’t expect it to be 750 pages however....

python.jpg.91ac5257acaa901d25aeddaa2aed460e.jpg

35 minutes ago, Dele said:

Yeah but they're about half the size they used to be both in length and thickness (no euph). 

Haven’t seen them in years but want to make a recipie of my Granny’s with the kids!

7 minutes ago, RH33 said:

Haven’t seen them in years but want to make a recipie of my Granny’s with the kids!

I've just had a look online and it says they're no longer in business - but Oor Willie's Highland Toffee is on the go, It could quite possibly have been that I've seen. If I go to the shop tomorrow I'll have a look. 

The act of jumping over seats to avoid the queue to leave at FT - a w**k move or accepted practice?

Something I've done since a wee boy, but in any other walk of life it'd piss me off ie, cars that stay in the right hand lane until the very, very last second.

1 hour ago, Speroni*1 said:

The act of jumping over seats to avoid the queue to leave at FT - a w**k move or accepted practice?

Something I've done since a wee boy, but in any other walk of life it'd piss me off ie, cars that stay in the right hand lane until the very, very last second.

I'd say it's fine if you have the agility to pull it off. I'd break an ankle or land on my head if i tried. 

It's certainly more acceptable than leaving at 85 minutes to beat the traffic. 

3 hours ago, Speroni*1 said:

I do it in the Derry, however it's only the lack of backs to the seats that makes this possible.

This season however there has been no need, as it is usually empty by 90 mins.