Quick Question Thread

18 minutes ago, ICTJohnboy said:

Watch what you're doing if you do go for a Panasonic. This from an Amazon review.

What's wrong with Turkey? The same plants build for multiple brands all over, the difference is in the parts used and levels of quality control. A Tripadvisor review of Amazon reviews says they're shite.

Edited by welshbairn

1 minute ago, welshbairn said:

What's wrong with Turkey? The same plants build for multiple brands all over, the difference is in the parts used and levels of quality control.

Absolutely fine when roasted, and served with all the usual trimmings.

My wife thinks you pair either had unrealistic expectations (recreating Night at the Museum is a bit tricky) - or you're just uncultured neds.

Uncultured?! There was barely a moment or enough light to take in any of the culture.

I thought it was vastly overpriced to basically just walk round in a big circle in the dark with very little of the exhibits actually visible due to it being so dark. I also thought in typical profiteering fashion, it was vastly oversold with far too many people being crammed into a series of rooms and being quickly ushered along to the next bit.

However I did thoroughly enjoy hearing 30 seconds of AC/DC’s ‘Thunderstruck’ at the rocket launch site in Glencoe (just down from Saville’s house), and the big German currywurst I had outside.

Where did you go and what did you get for tea? 
As for telly's, Panasonic. 
Koh noor delivery - set meal for one (I can barely eat anything these days).

Chicken tikka curry ordered, and all the sundries that come with it. Very much enjoyed, and will get from there again.

In terms of the telly my wife is currently googling "how big is too big" and has come across various folk recommending "the bigger the better". I strongly disagree.

Buying a new telly tomorrow.

Is there anything to either definitely get or definitely avoid in terms of tech?

Said missus wants a bigger telly than I do (we like to f**k up the stereotypes like that).

We currently have one of the early 40" Samsung smart tellies - about eight years old.

We want something slightly bigger but not too fussed with fancy gadgetry.

What's a good brand these days?

Make sure it’s a smert telly obvs

I had a Panasonic for 4 years, it cost £600 and was the cheapest tv with 4 k ultra I could get. Had to send the first one back as it kept cutting off/freezing. The second one worked ok for a while but would still freeze quite occasionally, mostly on Netflix but sometimes on live sky tv as well and would need to put it off and on at the wall (which is a total pain in the arse when you need to find where you left off on a film etc)and when it came back on the sound was loud as f**k and needed turned down. We had sky at the time and the only app we would use was Netflix which it had a setting for which was handy but if you wanted to use any more apps it wasn’t the easiest set up for that either. After 3.5 years there was a line vertical line down the screen and one side of the line was a different shade to the other and just short of its 4 th birthday it stopped working altogether and I took it to the dump and spat on it when it was lying in the skip. Apart from that it was a decent TV.

As for size there is a formula you can use based on how far you sit from the TV that will give a maximum and minimum recommendation but it’s pretty much down personal preferences and to whether you want the TV to be the main focal point in the room. 40 inch TVs are pretty underwhelming for most lounges i would say and even in pretty small sitting rooms 50 inch TVs don’t feel too big either so somewhere in that size range should cater for all tastes.

I’d stick with a Samsung if you liked it and would recommend LG for an alternative, very happy with mine.

Greeny for throbber spitting on  his telly.
Big tellies are the mark of a ned. A window fitter told me mine was the smallest he'd ever seen. I told him to get on with his fucking job. (I didn't, I was raging though)

We were in the process of moving house and knew the tv didn’t have long left so we were going to stage a fall out between me and the mrs on the day we moved into our new place which would involve me smashing up the TV in a fit of rage in front of members of both of our families who were helping us move in but it didn’t come to fruition sadly.

14 minutes ago, throbber said:

We were in the process of moving house and knew the tv didn’t have long left so we were going to stage a fall out between me and the mrs on the day we moved into our new place which would involve me smashing up the TV in a fit of rage in front of members of both of our families who were helping us move in but it didn’t come to fruition sadly.

I prefer the spitting story.

I prefer the spitting story.

Oh come on - imagine the scene here, the stress of moving house, me doing the bulk of the work, her constantly moaning about everything, stressing out over everything and contributing absolutely nothing of any worth. Members of both families there to help but not really invested into it as much as we are and largely just getting in the way and waiting for an excuse to open the champagne. I’m struggling to lift the tv out of the hire vehicle, sweat pouring off me and shaking down to a combination of stress, anger, exhaustion and too much drink the night before and everyone else standing idly by. The girlfriend then comes out with her 10000 th useless, moaning comment of the day and says something like “be careful with the TV” and I snap, TV hoisted over my head and then say. “YOU KNOW WHAT, f**k THE TV AND f**k YOU!” And then smash it on the slabs outside our front door and then jump on it a few times for dramatic effect whilst shouting “HOWS THIS FOR CAREFUl!!” and then spit on it before wheel spinning away in my car whilst flashing everyone the vicky’s. Woulda been funny AF.

1 minute ago, throbber said:

Oh come on - imagine the scene here, the stress of moving house, me doing the bulk of the work, her constantly moaning about everything, stressing out over everything and contributing absolutely nothing of any worth. Members of both families there to help but not really invested into it as much as we are and largely just getting in the way and waiting for an excuse to open the champagne. I’m struggling to lift the tv out of the hire vehicle, sweat pouring off me and shaking down to a combination of stress, anger, exhaustion and too much drink the night before and everyone else standing idly by. The girlfriend then comes out with her 10000 th useless, moaning comment of the day and says something like “be careful with the TV” and I snap, TV hoisted over my head and then say. “YOU KNOW WHAT, f**k THE TV AND f**k YOU!” And then smash it on the slabs outside our front door and then jump on it a few times for dramatic effect whilst shouting “HOWS THIS FOR CAREFUl!!” and then spit on it before wheel spinning away in my car whilst flashing everyone the vicky’s. Woulda been funny AF.

No, still spitting.

I think your wife is easily pleased. 

I don't think there's any doubt there.

I think she'd read all the negative press and had quite low expectations (which is the key to life as far as I'm concerned). She thought the staff were excellent as they went the extra mile with the weans.
Surely we all assumed that anyway?
Cheers Gordon.

Throbber do you have a specific thread set-up to try and save your relationship and generally unlock the demons in your head?

I think it's long over-due.