Quick Question Thread

1 hour ago, Hedgecutter said:

How high above the waist can you chop somebody in half (horizontally) but still allow them to live without their lower body parts. 

Asking for a friend. 

Bottom of the rib cage. Apparently. Much higher than that and they’re deid.

Earlier this year I had a power cut whilst my oven was on (it was a grid power cut and not just one in my house). When power was restored, it became apparent that the element in the oven was goosed. A simple enough fix, granted, no real hassle. At the weekend there, the main circuit breaker in my house switches off whilst I'm again cooking something in the oven. Switched everything off, turned the breaker back on and tried to start up the oven - nothing. No heat, no fan, just a blinking clock.

I imagine this is the end of my oven, but my question is - are all ovens utterly fucking useless if there's a power cut? Surely there's some sort of in-built protection to stop damage if the power goes out? I don't want to fork out for a new oven just for it to give up if I have another power cut. 

15 minutes ago, The Moonster said:

Earlier this year I had a power cut whilst my oven was on (it was a grid power cut and not just one in my house). When power was restored, it became apparent that the element in the oven was goosed. A simple enough fix, granted, no real hassle. At the weekend there, the main circuit breaker in my house switches off whilst I'm again cooking something in the oven. Switched everything off, turned the breaker back on and tried to start up the oven - nothing. No heat, no fan, just a blinking clock.

I imagine this is the end of my oven, but my question is - are all ovens utterly fucking useless if there's a power cut? Surely there's some sort of in-built protection to stop damage if the power goes out? I don't want to fork out for a new oven just for it to give up if I have another power cut. 

I doubt if they are all fucked when the power goes out - where I am we have power cuts 2 or more times a week  and everything  recovers fine - oven included.  

P.S. The oven is gas mind you

1 hour ago, The Moonster said:

@johnnydun

3 hours ago, scmwell said:

Try setting the clock on your oven a some of them don’t work if it’s not set

My oven does this. Pain in the backside especially as I thought it was broken and was searching for the manual to troubleshoot or look for answers and the wife sauntered in set the clock and hey presto it's working, she was very smug. 

4 hours ago, scmwell said:

Try setting the clock on your oven a some of them don’t work if it’s not set

3 hours ago, The Moonster said:

Cheers, I hadn't actually thought of that!

My oven needs the clock set and a random combination of buttons that involves the timer one.  I inherited it when I moved in 7 years ago and I still have no idea how it's meant to work. 10 secs of frantically pushing the timer and a series of other buttons at a time seems to do the job eventually.  

Edited by Hedgecutter

Just now, Hedgecutter said:

My oven needs the clock set and a random combination of buttons that involves the timer one.  I inherited it when I moved in 7 years ago and I still have no idea how it's meant to work. 10 secs of pushing the timer and two other buttons at a time seems to do the job.  

Yes I also inherited this oven when I moved in, so I don't have any manuals to tell me how to do this. I will be following your lead and pressing everything until something happens.