Quick Question Thread

Expansion vessel gubbed

Depending on the make of the boiler a new one costs £80 to £100.

Is that including labour? You can buy them starting about £30...?

I seen a dead expansion vessel the other day. Some creative operator had drawn a grimacing face on it it, drained it, disconnected it and pulled the bladder out slightly so it looked like its arse had collapsed as it shat itself to death.

11 hours ago, just me 2 said:

What would be the most likely fault on a boiler if it needed the pressure turned up every second day, no sign of any leaks anywhere, had the radiator changed to a towel rail in the bathroom recently but no sign of any water

When I had that problem the service engineer just pumped up the expansion vessel and it was sorted.

15 hours ago, MixuFixit said:

3D is just one of those things they try to get us to do every 30 years and it can always f**k off.

Yup. It was shite when they tried it in the 90s and it was shite when they tried it recently. It's just a way to get fools to pay more for something.

Just now, G_Man1985 said:
18 hours ago, Zen Archer Esq. said:
It would be a leak sealant.
An inhibitor neutralises the Ph in the system water to prevent rusting.

How long does a leak sealant usually last / work for ?

It depends on the severity of the leak, if it's a 'slow puncture' it could last years, if it's a 'blow out' it might not work for long or at all.

Apologies for the tyre analogies, it's just a way to simplify in more common terms.

7 minutes ago, Boghead ranter said:

My van battery went flat last night - was sat for best part of an hour with engine off, using lights, hazards, radio, phone connected when it gave out.

Is an hour in that scenario all you could hope to get, or is my battery on the way out and I should buy a replacement pronto?

What's wrong with your pronto?