Quick Question Thread

This is a weird one.

My postie has always been a bit hard work, he can't just give you your post, he has to make some shit joke before handing it over. I've always done my best to discourage him by just going "oh right" and never laughing.

Today he knocked on the door and the missus answered. She has a brace on her arm just now and he goes "oh you've hurt your arm" and she explains how she's hurt it picking up our son. He goes "hang on", reaches into his jacket, pulls out a wee box, takes - I shit you not - a wee toy violin out, pretends to play it then hands over our post.

Am I a grumpy auld basturt for thinking this veers into OFTW territory? Has he clocked her brace and brought it specifically to engineer this uncomfortable interaction, or is he a wannabe comedian with a prop for every eventuality? Would you phone up to ask his boss to tell him to stop being such a weirdo and just give us our post, or am I just being a killjoy about an eccentric character?
Fit a letterbox and be done with his shite.

On 5/29/2019 at 21:44, Melanius Mullarkey said:

Who the f**k talks to their postie? 

My missus is on first name terms with the window cleaner. If you read about a window cleaner falling off his ladder several times in Juniper Green it wasn't me. 

9 hours ago, Shandon Par said:

My missus is on first name terms with the window cleaner. If you read about a window cleaner falling off his ladder several times in Juniper Green it wasn't me. 

5cf1b2427aef3_georgeformby.jpg.caf2107f551ffed891950be9f54ad4cb.jpg

hey, hey, Shandon's wife turned out nice again...! 

5 minutes ago, Ludo*1 said:

Why is D Day being commemorated today when  it's the 6th June?

They pointed out that today was when they took the decision to invade. Presumably the real celebrations are in France tomorrow.

42 minutes ago, Ludo*1 said:

Why is D Day being commemorated today when  it's the 6th June?

It was a ruse to get Trump to fuckoff to Ireland to play golf for the real one in Normandy tomorrow.

3 hours ago, GordonD said:

They pointed out that today was when they took the decision to invade.

If that's the case then it's rather impressive that they managed to plan it all and assemble 150,000 troops within 24hrs.

Those boys sure knew how to get sh*t done.

4 minutes ago, Hedgecutter said:

If that's the case then it's rather impressive that they managed to plan it all and assemble 150,000 troops within 24hrs.

Those boys sure knew how to get sh*t done.

There was no interference from Health and Safety back then...

Just been given an old biscuit tin full of cigarette cards from the start of the 20th century. Only problem is that it's obviously been stored somewhere very damp for a long time, as the tin was so rusty that it fell apart in my hands, and a lot of the cards are solidly stuck together in clumps. Naturally, they're delicate considering their age, so does anyone have any suggestions about how to separate them with the minimum of damage? Thought about steaming them apart, but I've seen sticking them in the freezer suggested...

12 minutes ago, BigFatTabbyDave said:

Just been given an old biscuit tin full of cigarette cards from the start of the 20th century. Only problem is that it's obviously been stored somewhere very damp for a long time, as the tin was so rusty that it fell apart in my hands, and a lot of the cards are solidly stuck together in clumps. Naturally, they're delicate considering their age, so does anyone have any suggestions about how to separate them with the minimum of damage? Thought about steaming them apart, but I've seen sticking them in the freezer suggested...

You're trying to have a look at your old scud mags again aren't you?

14 minutes ago, BigFatTabbyDave said:

Experiment with a small bundle in the microwave, 10 secs at a time.

Guest Moomintroll
Try a dehumidifier?

11 minutes ago, Bert Raccoon said:

You're trying to have a look at your old scud mags again aren't you?

I'd have been massively disappointed if this hadn't been one of the first answers.

Did anyone actually jizz over the pages of their jazz mags, btw? What a fucking waste.

(don't actually answer that, plz)