Quick Question Thread

We already have Virgin Media in the flat here. If I wanted to upgrade to get a V+HD box, do they have to send someone out to install it or do they just send out a box?

We already have Virgin Media in the flat here. If I wanted to upgrade to get a V+HD box, do they have to send someone out to install it or do they just send out a box?

It's just a box, they work off the same cable. They might send an engineer out to deliver it and install it anyway, but there's no need for it if you can work a spanner.

As part of an application I have to provide a copy of my passport and a copy of my health insurance.

Which pages of the passport have to be copied and sent? As it's within the EU, does my European Health Insurance Card cover the insurance part?

Any decent advice would be appreciated. :)

As part of an application I have to provide a copy of my passport and a copy of my health insurance.

Which pages of the passport have to be copied and sent? As it's within the EU, does my European Health Insurance Card cover the insurance part?

Any decent advice would be appreciated. smile.gif

This bit -

post-1053-12749584154963_thumb.jpg

- unless you're a foreign national, in which case you'd need to show either the Work Permit, Limited Leave to Remain or Indefinite Leave to Remain stamps/visa's if you intend taking employment.

This bit -

post-1053-12749584154963_thumb.jpg

- unless you're a foreign national, in which case you'd need to show either the Work Permit, Limited Leave to Remain or Indefinite Leave to Remain stamps/visa's if you intend taking employment.

Thanks.

Which pages of the passport have to be copied and sent?

The front cover.

Well, a stupid question deserves a stupid answer, yes?

Ahoy, young male drivers. Who's your car insurance with?

I'm just wanting the name of a few companies who will offer realistic quotes, instead of stuff like £1500 (Hello there, Tesco "Value" insurance <_<)

Depending on how long you've had insurance/no-claims etc. that's not necessarily a bad quote.

The cheapest quote I was offered for a 998cc 20 year-old Mini was in the £1800 region with Endsleigh (no no-claims as I'm on my mum's policy with her Ford Ka). With Direct Line, who are supposed to effectively be building a named-driver no-claims discount for me, quotes still come-in at that figure with 1 year since I was added to it as a fully-qualified driver.

Car Insurance is just ridiculously prohibitive for young male drivers, and it doesn't really get substantially better until you've built-up several years' no-claims or turn 25.

I can get it down to about £700 with Admiral, but they were being dicks on the phone yesterday so I'm not as keen. I'm still just shopping around at the moment.

Also, because I've apparently requested a quote from Elephant before, despite the fact it's for a different car and a different address, it won't let me just ask for a new one until I give them the old password. I don't have a clue what it is, I probably just bashed the keyboard so I could see what the quote was.

Guest The Phoenix

Does The Phoenix spend his time just stalking RTBC, PTTGOYN and similar threads posting medicore 'puns' and 'jokes'?

Yes.

Watch and learn and one day you too may be able to rise your standard to mediocrity.

Guest The Phoenix

I can get it down to about £700 with Admiral, but they were being dicks on the phone yesterday so I'm not as keen. I'm still just shopping around at the moment.

Also, because I've apparently requested a quote from Elephant before, despite the fact it's for a different car and a different address, it won't let me just ask for a new one until I give them the old password. I don't have a clue what it is, I probably just bashed the keyboard so I could see what the quote was.

Dunc, my son took his first insurance with Direct Line - I was surprised but at the time they were by far the cheapest, reliable quoter.

Cheers. I had a look, and they won't give me anything too cheap. I think I'm just to go with Admiral and do it online.

Mate I assume you have used a price compare website? You'd be absolutely mad not to. The only one I use is confused.com but obviously there are loads. The adverts for these places are total w**k but confused.com is superb. Just give them all the details relating to the car and the policy you want and they will give you about 60 prices from cheapest to most expensive, it also tells you what the policy contains in terms of courtesy car, windscreen cover and the like.

Once you have put all the details in the first time you can then play about with different things and see how it affects the price i.e shave 2000 miles off your predicted annual milage and see if it significantly reduces the price. Add another driver like your mum or dad and see how much it drops (you are still policy holder but they are named driver). I saved about £400 from the orig quotes I was getting with that and ended up with admiral, it also saves phoning places and going through the details many times over the phone, when you see a price you like you click on it and it takes you through to the website of the company and you can phone at that point if you want, give them the quote number and again, the company already has the details and you can ask more specific q's after.

Long winded post but hope it helps.

Mate I assume you have used a price compare website? You'd be absolutely mad not to. The only one I use is confused.com but obviously there are loads. The adverts for these places are total w**k but confused.com is superb. Just give them all the details relating to the car and the policy you want and they will give you about 60 prices from cheapest to most expensive, it also tells you what the policy contains in terms of courtesy car, windscreen cover and the like.

Once you have put all the details in the first time you can then play about with different things and see how it affects the price i.e shave 2000 miles off your predicted annual milage and see if it significantly reduces the price. Add another driver like your mum or dad and see how much it drops (you are still policy holder but they are named driver). I saved about £400 from the orig quotes I was getting with that and ended up with admiral, it also saves phoning places and going through the details many times over the phone, when you see a price you like you click on it and it takes you through to the website of the company and you can phone at that point if you want, give them the quote number and again, the company already has the details and you can ask more specific q's after.

Long winded post but hope it helps.

I agree with this. I had to insure a car a couple of months ago for the first time in ten years as I'd opted out of the company car scheme for a cash allowance instead. Admiral came back consistently cheaper and adding my old boy as a named driver reduced it by a further £100.

As it's within the EU, does my European Health Insurance Card cover the insurance part?

Any advance on this?

Probably. If you've got a paper counterpart thing though, I'd photocopy and send that instead.

I'm up in the uni with my card to photocopy the details, I'll photocopy it to be sure and have a rummage for the letter for next week, cheers.