Quick Question Thread

33 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:

Looking for some advice on somewhere to go for a night away.

Got childcare but the only way we can really work it is to get the MIL to come and stay at ours, meaning we have to make ourselves scarce...

Usually just go to Glasgow or that but looking a bit further afield. Was thinking Inverness as I fancy trying that Rocpool place.

Anywhere of less than say 3.5 hours drive from Falkirk with somewhere nice to eat and a couole of pubs really.

Suggestions welcome. Not Oban though, and preferably North rather than South

If you're going all the way to Inverness for a meal I'd splash out on the Rocpool Reserve, good pub nearby if the weather's good, Castle Tavern. The Rocpool is ok but not worth travelling up from Falkirk for. You'll find hotel B+B rooms hard to find and extortionate though in August.

Edited by welshbairn

36 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:

Usually just go to Glasgow or that but looking a bit further afield. Was thinking Inverness as I fancy trying that Rocpool place.

Rocpool is very good, but for me Number 27 is even better and probably only about half the price.

http://www.number27inverness.uk/

44 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:

Got childcare but the only way we can really work it is to get the MIL to come and stay at ours, meaning we have to make ourselves scarce...

Anywhere of less than say 3.5 hours drive from Falkirk with somewhere nice to eat and a couole of pubs really.

Suggestions welcome. Not Oban though, and preferably North rather than South

Come to Inverness, dump the wife in the Rocpool and you and me can go on the piss x

7 minutes ago, ICTJohnboy said:

Rocpool is very good, but for me Number 27 is even better and probably only about half the price.

http://www.number27inverness.uk/

Away. Rocpool is the best restaurant in Inverness! Number 27 is pish. The only thing that comes close to Rocpool is Cafe One. 

Edited by Rugster

4 minutes ago, Rugster said:

Away. Rocpool is the best restaurant in Inverness! Number 27 is pish. The only thing that comes close to Rocpool is Cafe One. 

I prefer the tapas bar,  La Tortilla Asesina to all three tbh. I'm not much into 3 course meals though. 

Edited by welshbairn

Just now, welshbairn said:

I prefer the tapas bar,  La Tortilla Asesina to all three tbh. I'm not into 3 course meals though much 

Yes it's Very good but they brought me the bill and I was expecting the main course. Portions were tiny, went for a chippy afterwards. 

1 minute ago, Bairnardo said:

Since I have all this Inverness knowledge in 1 thread tell me ablut getting a decent steak up there please.

Duncan Fraser butcher and Rugsters kitchen. Failing that the steak house is McGonigals, only been once, didn't think it was all it was cracked up to be but maybe unfair to criticise based on one visit as most rave about it. 

1 minute ago, Bobby Skidmarks said:

Number 27 :lol:

That's what I thought. Initially I thought he'd got mixed up with cafe one but he gave the website for number 27. I've honestly had better meals in wetherspoons. 

2 minutes ago, Rugster said:

That's what I thought. Initially I thought he'd got mixed up with cafe one but he gave the website for number 27. I've honestly had better meals in wetherspoons. 

Frankie and Bennys style food. Cooked in the morning, microwaved at night. 

You'd be better off heading to the Glenabyn for a toastie and a fight.

Been unlucky with steaks in Inverness, sad to say the best one was probably at Beefeaters by the Travelodge on the A82. Rocpool cut them up into wee slices, it's not the same. Had a good one at Eden Court once but they change chefs every week, the last time it was shit. Haven't tried McGonigals, heard mixed reviews. Maybe I'm a bit fussy about steaks.

P.S. Another place people rave about is Little Italy, never been either. 

Edited by welshbairn

2 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:

Ruggy in the kitchen whilst HSF entertains the Bairnardos??

I did see McGonnagals online wasnt too sure about it. Thats what she fancies but will work on trying to convince her that rocpool then round to Casa Rugster is the way to go

Hopefully someone who has been more than once can give you a steer, I feel bad saying stay away from it based on one visit. The regular chef might have been off or something, but in my view a steak restaurant should at the very minimum be able to cook the steak the way you requested it. 

Im dab hand at a steak, bring mrs @Shandon Par, sorry, your wife round, no problem. 

Edited by Rugster

9 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:

Since I have all this Inverness knowledge in 1 thread tell me ablut getting a decent steak up there please.

Number 27 usually have a steak offer on on a Monday night  - a free glass of wine or something. Surprisingly Wetherspoons do great deals on steaks on Tuesday nights.  I used to go there regularly - a 10oz Aberdeen Angus steak and a pint of Abbot Ale or London Pride - £7.50. You certainly won't get that in Rocpool!

Just now, ICTJohnboy said:

Number 27 usually have a steak offer on on a Monday night  - a free glass of wine or something. Surprisingly Wetherspoons do great deals on steaks on Tuesday nights.  I used to go there regularly - a 10oz Aberdeen Angus steak and a pint of Abbot Ale or London Pride - £7.50. You certainly won't get that in Rocpool!

:lol:

^^^ owner of Number 27