Quick Question Thread

I'm just watching a bit of Nigella here and she's talking about boiling eggs. She puts a match in the pan after the eggs have gone in because her grandmother taught her that if the shells crack, the whites won't leak out into the water. Does anyone know if it's true, and if it is, why does it work?

I'm just watching a bit of Nigella here and she's talking about boiling eggs. She puts a match in the pan after the eggs have gone in because her grandmother taught her that if the shells crack, the whites won't leak out into the water. Does anyone know if it's true, and if it is, why does it work?

Nobody watches Nigella for the cooking.

Hmm, no idea but I'll certainly try it. Was the match spent or 'new'?

Only for MILFs

There's a theory out there that it's something to do with the ash from the match stick breaking up the bubbles into smaller ones, meaning the egg is less likely to crack. A bit like the indents you get in a modern lager glass. Don't really see it myself..

Just noticed it was a new match, don't know if that would change things..

Edited by welshbairn

There's a theory out there that it's something to do with the ash from the match stick breaking up the bubbles into smaller ones, meaning the egg is less likely to crack. A bit like the indents you get in a modern lager glass. Don't really see it myself..

But if it's a new match, rather than a used one, there's no ash. I found something using Google that suggested it was to do with phosphorous, but it also said "I don't understand the chemistry behind it, but if it works, who cares?". Well frankly, I bloody well do! Why would anyone not want to know?

Just noticed it was a new match, don't know if that would change things..

There wouldn't be any ash from a new match.

But if it's a new match, rather than a used one, there's no ash. I found something using Google that suggested it was to do with phosphorous, but it also said "I don't understand the chemistry behind it, but if it works, who cares?". Well frankly, I bloody well do! Why would anyone not want to know?

I suppose the match could still be bouncing around bubble breaking? Maybe not...laugh.gif

It's also possible that Nigella is just doing it wrong...

Edited by welshbairn

Can't really see it making any difference myself. Boiling an egg is one of those culinary tasks that at first glance look simple but are in fact anything but.

FWIW and after many years of trying my tips would be, start with cold water, bring to simmer very slowly, do not allow to boil and bubble like a witches cauldren, take off heat for last couple of minutes and finally always give an extra 2 minutes to what the " expert " says.

Works for me, not cracked a shell in ages.

I got a Blackberry Curve for Christmas, and I can't get the fucking thing charged up.

Am I being a total idiot for thinking that to charge it you need to connect the USB port to the wall plug that comes in the box? There's some thing that looks like it could be a battery as well, but that doesn't fit in to anything.

Sorry if I'm being a total idiot (which I'm guessing could be the case) but any advice would be nice. Cheers.

I got a Blackberry Curve for Christmas, and I can't get the fucking thing charged up.

Am I being a total idiot for thinking that to charge it you need to connect the USB port to the wall plug that comes in the box? There's some thing that looks like it could be a battery as well, but that doesn't fit in to anything.

Sorry if I'm being a total idiot (which I'm guessing could be the case) but any advice would be nice. Cheers.

If I recall, the battery like thing is an emergency additional charge module. So you can charge that up separately, and that way, if you run out of juice at an awkward moment, you can plug that in. And yes, as Milevskiy says, plug it into the wall. And read the instructions.

Also, like Milevskiy asked, how the hell did you think it charged??

I'm a total idiot.

It is charging, just obsecenly slowly. My old banger of a phone charges quicker, I would've thought with advancements in tecnology it would charge quicker than before, rather than the other way round.

I assumed plugging the USB in to the socket was the right way, but with nothing really happening and there being a thing that looks like a battery in the box I was thrown a bit.

Cheers lads. What makes this worse is that I'm 22, not 60.